PDA

View Full Version : Beeswax lube?

Lead melter
12-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Okay, I got a chunk of beeswax on the way. I see you guys writing about it, but I don't know what to do with mine after it arrives. :confused: Think maybe you can recipe out a simple lube mixture for me?

What are its uses?

Large caliber, small caliber?

High or low velocity?

Handgun or rifle calibers?

Hot weather or cold?

Pan lube, press lube, or heat and dip lube?

Work best with hard of soft alloy?

Thanks a bunch. More experiments are on the way.

[smilie=b:

RU shooter
12-02-2007, 09:58 AM
For a simple low to med. vel. lube for rifle boolits , I assume it would work with handguns in that vel. range too.I did a simple mix of BW and vasoline approx. 3:1 mixture . Works extremely well for pan lubing and have used it up to 1600 fps in my rifles.

Kraschenbirn
12-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Run a search for "Felix Lube". There was a thread on this forum a few months back that will provide you with more homebrew lube formulas/recipes than you're likely to need in this lifetime.

Bill

Bullshop
12-02-2007, 12:40 PM
By weight 3 to 1, beeswax to Bull Plate. For all listed uses.
Your welcome!
Blessings!
BIC/BS

randyrat
12-02-2007, 08:30 PM
What about dipping my bullets in pure melted Beeswax.

OLPDon
12-03-2007, 12:29 PM
What about dipping my bullets in pure melted Beeswax.

Not a expert on lubes however beeswax is more of a carrier for the lube itself. Such as Bull Shop has pointed out. Bull Shop's lube is super stuff it not only great as added to bees wax and its orginal use for lubeing sprue plates/ but will work great on other items around the house that you might lube. I have used his Lube as a rust repellant ie my chucks and lathe beds ect. A little goes a long way.

But I digress you will need some sort of lube added to bees wax. FWFL is not only one triffic lube but it is fun to make. Casting is not just to save money "?" (which you will soon find out) after buying molds and all the things you think you just need, you will come to the realization that its a hobbie and hobbies can be costly.

You will after casting for a period of time will get to know your UPS guy quite well.

Don