PDA

View Full Version : Remy cast bullets

targetfreak
01-06-2014, 06:41 PM
I tried a search for this topic, but was unsuccessful.
Specifically, I want the conical bullets for my Rem.1858 New Model Revolver. I have great success with the round balls (available everywhere), but I deeply want to try the bullets which are actually shaped like BULLETS.
Dixie used to offer them (their catalog # BT1200), and the maker's number was 44050 (Buffalo Bullet Co.). Buffalo Arms also used to offer them, but they are now discontinued. I called both Dixie and Buffalo Arms, and both told me that they would REALLY like to get them, but the Buffalo Bullet Co, has gone out of business. So, I did a google search, and really, Buffalo Bullet is no more!
I am so desperate that I would even try bullet casting if I could find a mold. The original bullet was 180 grains, with a rebate at the bottom to make easy loading.
Is there anyone who has taken up the mantle of Buffalo Bullet, and is waiting for orders to flow in for this (.451" dia) bullet? Or, is there anyone who has a mold for the said projectile? I would like to buy cast bullets, or even the mold.
Thanks for your consideration.

bhn22
01-06-2014, 08:40 PM
I have a few Buffalo Bullet 50 cal. muzzleloader sabot bullets on hand. These bare bullets measure .429, and the design itself is unmistakable. You could have Accurate Molds or Mountain Molds custom make you anything you want, as far as design goes, Accurate already has several that are fairly close, all you need to do is specify your desired "as cast" diameter.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-180E-D.png
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-180S-D.png
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-180R-D.png

Harter66
01-06-2014, 08:57 PM
Lee also carries a cap and ball conical mould . There are 2 . 1 for the Ruger Old Army ,.458 and 1 for all the others , .454. There are several 45 Colts cowboy and ACP moulds that were ok in the 58' I had.
The guys at gunslingersgultch.com have tried at least 20 different conicals in 100 different 51's and 58's and had the best success w/Colts style conicals. their threads wander some but the regulars are very knowledgable in the 51's & 58's.

targetfreak
01-07-2014, 06:02 PM
bhn22:
Thank you so much for those links to the Accurate molds. I just may need to get one of them.
Harter66:
Thank you also, but I had looked at the Lee stuff, and the pictures do not make it clear whether the base is beveled enough. Think I will give them a call for more info. Also, the as-cast weight is greater than the ones I mentioned.
Everyone else:
Anybody want to cast me a couple hundred bullets identical to the Buffalo Bullet offering, as used to be listed by Dixie?
I am waiting for offers, if possible.
Otherwise, I may need to get into casting.
Thanks, so far!

ShooterAZ
01-07-2014, 06:50 PM
The lee REAL molds have a reverse taper to them, specifically designed for muzzle-loaders. I have 2 versions for the Ruger Old Army and they work well. You will need to make sure that you have enough room under the ram to be able to seat them in your revolver, they are much taller than a round ball. Also, they will need to be cast from either pure or a very soft alloy to avoid damage to the linkage. You might have better luck in the muzzle loading forum, but you might get (really) lucky and someone will cast you some boolits.

Baron von Trollwhack
01-07-2014, 07:58 PM
So that you do not freakout while target shooting with your 1858 Remington, be aware that the dimensions of the chambers and barrels in forty plus years of reproductions have been all over the map from quite good with proper accuracy relationships to utterly ridiculous for meaningful shooting.

To verify what you might have besides enthusiasm, it is seriously advised that you slug each chamber with an oversize RB, and then the barrel. It is most feaseable to remove the nipples and push out the RBs you size the chambers with so you can measure them and record your findings by cylinder hole. A very great many guns have been made with too small cylinder holes or fitted with too large of barrel dimensions. This relationship is a great part of where accuracy resides.

BvT

targetfreak
01-08-2014, 11:12 PM
So that you do not freakout while target shooting with your 1858 Remington, be aware that the dimensions of the chambers and barrels in forty plus years of reproductions have been all over the map from quite good with proper accuracy relationships to utterly ridiculous for meaningful shooting.

To verify what you might have besides enthusiasm, it is seriously advised that you slug each chamber with an oversize RB, and then the barrel. It is most feaseable to remove the nipples and push out the RBs you size the chambers with so you can measure them and record your findings by cylinder hole. A very great many guns have been made with too small cylinder holes or fitted with too large of barrel dimensions. This relationship is a great part of where accuracy resides.

BvT

I haven't slugged the 1858 yet, but will. I heard from one of the muzzleloader forums that my version (made by Santa Anna, in Spain) is one of the best-quality reproductions ever of the 1858 Remy. Certainly is very well made.

bhn22
01-09-2014, 12:55 AM
I believe you may find that the original Buffalo Bullets were swaged, not cast. My muzzleloader bullets were in sabots, and were swaged hollowpoints.

44man
01-09-2014, 09:12 AM
Rem chambers are very close together. The next chamber is very close to the gap and a boolit will be cut pretty bad. The round ball is not affected but a thin lube will be blown away. Use a BPCR lube that is thicker, over the ball.