PDA

View Full Version : need a computer guy, or gal.

shaper
01-06-2014, 12:06 PM
I've been fighting a bug on my computer for a couple days now. I have it running again but none of my icons on the desk top will work, there are about 40 of them. If I create a new one it also will not work. Any ideas how to fix this?

AK Caster
01-06-2014, 12:39 PM
Have your antivirus program run a scan and see what it finds.

If that does not work do a system restore if you can.

w5pv
01-06-2014, 01:04 PM
restore it back to a date that it worked good without bugs.

jonp
01-06-2014, 01:06 PM
shut it down and then start it up in safe mode. Run your virus/spyware on it and see what it comes up with

shaper
01-06-2014, 01:37 PM
I did a restore yesterday. That is how I got it working again. A scan with Avast did not help with the icons.

smokeywolf
01-06-2014, 02:26 PM
You might try running Avast or Malwarebytes from safe mode. Then do a cold boot (Not just restart. Turn off machine, wait a minute then turn back on.) followed by running "system restore" again. See if that makes any difference.

smokeywolf

Rustyleee
01-06-2014, 02:52 PM
To run a complete scan always do it in safe mode and while your computer is off line.

MtGun44
01-06-2014, 05:27 PM
Download Microsoft Security Essentials for free, run it and run Windows Update. The Malicious Software Removal Tool
downloads periodically from Win Update and can clean out nasty stuff.

Bill

gamedog53
01-06-2014, 06:50 PM
What operating system are you currently running on your computer?

shaper
01-06-2014, 08:31 PM
What operating system are you currently running on your computer?

I am using windows xp, which I understand Microsoft will no longer support after April 8.14
I have been trying to download the Microsoft Security Essentials for about two hours now, the blue line gets within 1/8 inch to be fulley downloaded before the computer just will not go any farther. I am on the 4th try now. I am using my lap top to do this.

Lee
01-06-2014, 08:40 PM
Ensure that when you do a "cold" start, whatever that is when you have to go safe mode......
Keep pressing F8 key as the beast boots. THAT get you into safe mode. Sometimes a backup of email;s addresses, Inet addresses, then a wipe/format/reinstall Win/then a reinstall backups is the only way to go.
PITA, but sometimes it happens.
$100 will get you a USB backup box that will allow you to restore......heh heh heh from wherever you last backed up..............

georgerkahn
01-06-2014, 08:44 PM
My XP Compaq was similarly infected. I was about to take machine to a paid professional, when a colleague suggested I download and run the FREE Norton Power Eraser. It worked!!! I don't know what it may do for you, but it sure received my endorsement!
The URL is http://us.norton.com/support/DIY/
Best wishes!
geo

gamedog53
01-07-2014, 03:11 PM
With an Xp machine machine you can downloaded a program called regscrub xp also run malware bytes and super anti spyware. You may have to disable the system restore so that it doesn't reinfect the machine. Hope that helps