PDA

View Full Version : stock jointing

snipecg21
01-05-2014, 05:17 PM
I received a traditions muzzleloader kit for Christmas. the instructions have the two parts of the stock joined with a pair of steel pins and a brass spacer between the parts and utilizes the barrel to hold both halves together. when I fit things together the gap between halves is far larger than the supplied spacer. I was thinking of scrapping the brass spacer in favor of a wooden one and changing out the steel pins to wood and then gluing the halves together to make the stock one piece. anyone ever tried something like this? any input or suggestions would be appreciated

FLINTNFIRE
01-05-2014, 05:47 PM
Did one of those same problem , traditions offer is to send you another spacer so you have 2 spacers to fill the gap , make a larger spacer or get a solid stock to fit the barrel diameter , then inlet for lock , or try what you are asking about if your piece of wood matches it will look better then the spacer anyway , I did mine to gain experience for next build which was an american set of parts , good luck .

mooman76
01-05-2014, 06:03 PM
Mine fit fine but I bought used. I acquired a piece of solid brass that was larger so I cut out the wood some more and put the new piece in there. I did it over 20 years ago and have no idea why I did it now but it worked ok.

johnson1942
01-05-2014, 09:54 PM
ive put nose caps on stocks by the way you have described, either way will look nice.

fixit
01-05-2014, 10:19 PM
picked up an OLD cva kit many years ago and decided to make it a halfstock instead, for the purpose of eliminating that ugly brass spacer. spliced in a piece of bocote, using all the factory hardware. glued it permanent, and it became a much better looking rifle. too bad it misfires if the temp gets below 40 degrees

Dean D.
01-08-2014, 08:36 PM
You can also grind the pins a bit to make them shorter. A friend ran into the same issue on a similar rifle and this fix worked. There was enough room on the capture keys to allow this to work for him. YMMV.

bob208
01-09-2014, 02:20 PM
I made the wood spacer and used wood dowels to glue mine together. you could hardly tell it. use the barrel as a guide to hold it all together. another one I did was to just not use the spacer. just put the two halves together with wood dowels. just had to plug the holes in the barrel and drill and tap them for the new location.