PDA

View Full Version : Question about Ruger Blackhawk.

canthitsquat
01-05-2014, 01:16 AM
I was shooting my old three screw .357 and when I got home and went to clean it, I noticed the hammer wouldn't cock back in the firing position.
When I removed the cylinder it would work.
Anyone ever have this happen?
Thanks.

John Allen
01-05-2014, 01:17 AM
You might have some crud inside that is moving around would be my guess.

contender1
01-06-2014, 11:24 AM
It is also possible you broke or chipped the hammer notch, or the tip of the trigger that engages the hammer. Small places, easily damaged if not careful.
Or, there is a pin in the hammer that could be hung up. That may well be the issue. Give it a good cleaning & see if it fixes the problem.

MT Gianni
01-06-2014, 11:26 AM
The cylinder pin can slip just a little and the gun won't fire. If it happens again make sure that the pin is seated in place.

canthitsquat
01-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Update! I took the gun apart and it was clean and everything looked in order. Then upon closer examination I noticed a small piece of black plastic above the pawl that turns the cylinder.Now you might ask,"Where did that come from?" While I was firing one of my other Pistols .44 mag. I thought I had a "Kaboom" something hit me in the arm and drew blood.
Then I looked at my rest and noticed small black cylinders of plastic falling from the rest. Don't use the front rest from a Lead-Sled for a revolver rest! Something about cylinder gap to barrel clearance. Evidently a piece found its way into the BH as it was lying on the table. Works good now. Thanks for the advice.

starmac
01-06-2014, 11:23 PM
LOL Did the lead sled survive???

seaboltm
01-07-2014, 12:33 AM
I used a heavy and expensive coat rolled up once as a rest. I was shooting a BH with near max 357 loads. the cylinder gap burned holes in my coat!

ACrowe25
01-07-2014, 01:16 AM
Lol won't do that again huh

canthitsquat
01-07-2014, 01:48 AM
LOL Did the lead sled survive???
After stuffing it with foam pieces and sealing it with "Goop" it should be as good as new.
I made some new rests today out of 4X6's and 8X8's covered with commercial carpet.(Lesson Learned.)

**oneshot**
01-07-2014, 10:17 AM
I made a leather cover for my rests after doing some revolver testing. Careful with cheaper "shooting bags" also. My Dad's 357 ate one for breakfast and forced a real good cleaning before shooting again.

jonp
01-07-2014, 10:22 AM
I used a heavy and expensive coat rolled up once as a rest. I was shooting a BH with near max 357 loads. the cylinder gap burned holes in my coat!

I was using the tailgate as a rest once sighting in my rifle and had the muzzle too close to the taillight and busted it with the blast. oops..

Charlie Two Tracks
01-07-2014, 11:03 AM
How about an old sock filled with rice and tied at the top? Dang it, it worked for awhile until I got too close . Looked like somebody got married with all the rice flying around.

Chihuahua Floyd
01-07-2014, 11:13 AM
Just don't lay a blanket over the top of a car to shoot a muzzleloader. Not me, not my car, gun or blanket, but I did see the blanket go up in flames and burn the paint on car.
CF

contender1
01-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Well, at least now we know why the Blackhawk jammed up.
Glad it's fixed.
I have several shooting bags at my range, as well as a Lead Sled. I used old blue jean legs to make bags. A friend worked at a plant that used plactic chips/pellets in injection molding. When a batch spilled, they were contaminated, and swept into the trash. Well, he saved me a LOT of that stuff. It makes excellent bag stuffing, and if it gets damp, it's not like sand.
But, I also have a piece of scrap leather about 14"x20". I lay it out over the bags to prevent any cylinder or muzzle blast from affecting any of my bags.
Just offering a bit more advise here.