PDA

View Full Version : Brass issue?

Sothoth
01-04-2014, 11:07 PM
Bought some range brass and see, on a small percent of the casings, these markings. I have not seen this on my own collected brass. What causes this? A bullet puller? Are they ok to reload? I can't tell how deep the grooves are So I'm inclined to toss these ones.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/05/tegyvu4u.jpg

WALLNUTT
01-04-2014, 11:16 PM
They're fine,don't worry. It' a cannalure.I think that's how it's spelled.

Outpost75
01-04-2014, 11:18 PM
dupe deleted

Outpost75
01-04-2014, 11:27 PM
Knurled cannelures are used on factory loads to facilitate identification of work-in-process ammunition. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Sometimes a heavier cannelure is used as a stop surface to prevent telescoping of bullets when they strike the feed ramp during the feed cycle. This is very common with pre-WW2 .45 ACP hardball before they learned to apply asphalt "mouth varnish" as waterproofing in the late 1930s.

In older .38 Special service loads, a heavy crimped cannelure was used to obtain the necessary increased bullet pull for +P and +P+ law enforcement loads, to ensure acceptable ballistic uniformity with slower powders which were used in attempts to increase velocity without exceeding allowed pressure limits.

I try to sort cannelured brass into batches of like type, but I don't think it makes any difference for brass otherwise of the same headstamp, including type face, etc.

Sothoth
01-04-2014, 11:27 PM
Thanks!

I must say I'm quite impressed by how quickly, and with such good info, you all on this forum respond. It's much appreciated by this noob :)