PDA

View Full Version : THUD,DING,RING,TING lead testing

randyrat
11-30-2007, 11:56 PM
The sounds thud,ding, ring,ting worked for me in sorting some ingots i got mixed up.
I somehow mixed up a bunch of ingots in the basement for long term storage and i dropped one that i thought was WW alloy and it went thud. I knew then there was a mix up..I continued through all of the ingots and sorted them by their sound,then i tested a few in each batch and i was 100% right on.
I read this a while back and laughed to myself, Dang it works!
I also tested the WWs to my stash of 60/40 tin WOW there's a big difference in sound. I just got a hell of a kick out of it and i had to share this.

454PB
12-01-2007, 01:24 AM
Obviously you're a young guy who has done a good job of protecting his hearing. Us old farts have damaged our hearing to were they all go "thud".

randyrat
12-01-2007, 08:28 AM
I never listened/liked LOUD music and my dad always made me wear ear protection when we were at the range. I still can't hear my wife sometimes she swears i'm not listening. I think i am the age where hearing protection started getting attention. McDonalds had been around i think 5 or so years when i was born, a computor was still something really huge like the size of building and only the military/ government my have owned one, I graduated from high school and didn't know what a computor was, kennedy was still alive, i think the French were in Vietnam, LSD was lip service delivered not a drug,No body owned a air conditioner,microwave,dishwasher and had 1-3 channels (black n white) TV on a good day, and i was rich we had a TV and a pair of stilts. LOL

cohutt
12-01-2007, 08:28 AM
If i'm not sure, i knock the ding on the ting and then the ting on the ding and see which dented which. Poor man's hardness tester = all relative.

pdawg_shooter
12-01-2007, 09:49 AM
Whats that? What did you say? Come again?

Winger Ed.
12-02-2007, 02:50 AM
I still can't hear my wife sometimes she swears i'm not listening.

I suffer from that too.
My wife calls it 'selective hearing'.

wonderwolf
12-02-2007, 02:47 PM
I've done the drop thing but I don't really have a control except for WW...I have other "odd" alloys that I get from estate sales and the occasional old guy who is getting rid of his casting bits and pcs.

Freightman
12-02-2007, 07:48 PM
I work part time in an archery shop and the owner and I both are hard of hearing (deaf) and these young men come in with there bows and ask "hear that noise"? we try to tell them that even the oldest and loudest of bows are silent! to us.

1Shirt
12-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Works for the short run, but after 50 years of casting have finally broken down and ordered a lead tester. Seems about time to get consistant on something.
1Shirt!:coffee:

eaglefacts
12-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Freightman, do you shoot bow as well?

Gussy
12-03-2007, 04:06 PM
I bought 4, 5 gal buckets of mixed alloy 1 lb ingots. I will do a "bang together" test to sort out the pure lead and then actually test the rest because they vary in mix from near pure lead to a mix of high speed babbit and lead.

I take an ingot of known pure lead and thump 2 together and "read" the dents. Same dent pure lead, less dent, harder.

It will be a winter project after all other projects are done or I'm really in need some lead for casting!!
Gus