PDA

View Full Version : Couple questions on PID controller

Mike W1
01-03-2014, 09:55 PM
Been through the stickies a couple times and ordered the main parts today. Plan on using No. 18 or larger jumper wires but wondered if stranded wire is OK or does it have to be solid wire?

Robbed a schematic (below) from one of the stickies and wonder if it'd be a good idea to pick up a larger terminal strip in case I want to add some bells and whistles later on????

Also would it be a good idea to get some terminal lugs and solder them onto the wires or isn't that necessary?

Comments/suggestions appreciated.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310/Mike4245/Schematic_zpsdd9b867c.jpg

el34
01-03-2014, 10:12 PM
The only place you need 18ga wire or larger is for the AC wiring coming in to the strip, going to the SSR L1 and T1 terminals, and to the output to the pot. You can use much smaller wire to the AC terminals of the PID and from PID to SSR control terminals A1 and A2.

Be sure to match thermocouple + and - wires to the PID + and -, and for the PID output to the SSR.

Go by the terminal function markings on your PID and SSR, the numbers on that schematic might not be correct for your brand.

Getting a bigger terminal strip is up to you, if there's room go ahead even if the extras are never used. Soldering lugs is imo a nice idea if you don't have a good crimp tool.

Jailer
01-04-2014, 11:18 PM
I prefer to solder everything I work on but that's just me.