PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 450 setup hints?

55BoysATR
01-03-2014, 04:44 PM
I just finished cleaning up a 450 and I'm getting ready to set it up for 250 gr. 44's. Any advise on setup would be appreciated.

The guy that I bought it from had used it to lube BPCR bullets...... Had to boil the **** out of it to get the old stinky black lube out of it.

Maven
01-03-2014, 07:23 PM
Not so much a hint, but preventive medicine: Once you find an area on your bench to mount it and drill the holes, take a pc. of shirt cardboard or [writing] tablet backing that's bigger than the #450's base, poke holes in it and bolt the lube sizer to the bench. When all is tight, take a sharp box cutter or something similar and trim away the excess cardboard. This will positively present leaking from the bottom of the machine. This was the late Ken Mollohan's* solution and it works perfectly.

*Ken was one of the founders of the Cast Bullet Association.

Hawkeye45
01-03-2014, 07:29 PM
When I set mine up I put a piece of inner tube under it instead of shirt board. Both will work, and helps with cleanup if you have to remove it for any reason. JMHO

Mr. Ed

Mk42gunner
01-04-2014, 12:35 AM
I mount my sizers, both RCBS and Lyman to a 2x6 about 18" long, then clamp the board to the bench. I don't size boolits every day, this helps keep down the bench clutter.

Robert

myg30
01-05-2014, 05:58 PM
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/pdf/LyC_BC_LS_4500.pdf

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-05-2014, 06:14 PM
before I install a Die, I eyeball/allign the lube holes and the boolit's lube grooves, then measure how far in the boolit would need to be pushed into the die to get to that position.

Then once the die is installed you have a good place to start when adjusting the seating depth.

55BoysATR
01-07-2014, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the ideas & help. Big brown truck dropped off my new sizing dies & punches today. Still choosing a lube as my boolits are age hardening and setting up the sizer.

Mk42gunner..... I'm also on a mobile tool system. I put flush threaded inserts in the bench top to change out tooling. Have a series for the MEC's, RCBS Partner press, powder measure bracket, and one for the sizer forthcoming. Only permanent mounts are for the Dillon & Rockchucker.