PDA

View Full Version : Family...You never know what you get when you marry into a family

bruce drake
01-03-2014, 02:54 PM
So now as our family is going through some drastic changes. My Mother-in-law passed away last Saturday and last night, one of my nieces who turned 18 last Saturday as well has now moved in to our house after a tiff with her mom, my Ex-Sister in Law. Tomorrow is the funeral and I'm reorganizing the spare bedroom for a surrogate daughter for the next several years as well.

Bruce

beagle
01-03-2014, 02:58 PM
Know what you mean. I have a 28 year old SD and a married 30 year old SD that still ain't weaned yet. You have my sympathies./beagle

w5pv
01-03-2014, 05:07 PM
I have 3 all spoiled to the core and jealous of each other,Got one moved in after a divorce for a couple of months 22 or so years ago.She catches it from the other about sponging off of us.Like I tell them we have two more bedrooms that isn't used if they need them.

Pb2au
01-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Holy smokes. Sorry for your loss sir. That is a lot of chaos to happen at once for a household.
Just breathe deep and remain calm....

felix
01-03-2014, 06:15 PM
I have two sons, 28 and 30, both of which are single. Told them they loose all future support if and when they marry outside of their FAMILY religion, and that includes family life style and economic status. Will that help? Hope so. They know what happened to my immediate family and their children specifically. It seems helter-skelter relationships are here to stay and are becoming mainstream. ... felix

WilliamDahl
01-03-2014, 06:22 PM
Holy smokes. Sorry for your loss sir. That is a lot of chaos to happen at once for a household.
Just breathe deep and remain calm....

I've always wondered whether you should offer condolences or congratulations to someone when their mother-in-law dies. For most of the guys that I've known over the years, I suspect it should have been the latter, but I just kept my mouth shut (since it is easier to keep your foot out of it that way).

Ed Barrett
01-03-2014, 09:11 PM
I'm lucky, 2 sons live in a different time zone and and the third lives in the UK.

bhn22
01-03-2014, 11:17 PM
I married into a family of total psychos. At least they're not the violent sort. They all started dying off about ten years ago, including my wife about five years ago. The rest are finally leaving me alone, and my twenty-something sons avoid them like the plague. My oldest son finally quit acting like his mothers side of the family, and is "manning up" nicely now.

bruce drake
01-03-2014, 11:17 PM
Condolences would be in order here. My Mother In Law was as sweet as my wife. The Niece also is a little sweetie as well. Ex-Sister in Law is a beyotch and I've already told my wife if the third daughter has issues, I'll bring her into the family as well. I took the oldest niece in last year when I was living in Kansas before I retired from the Army. She's now well setup and living on her own in Kansas and working as an Asst. Manager at a Subway there so I think I can help the next niece get herself started in life properly as well.

Now as to Family religion...I grew up Catholic and converted to being a Baptist before I met my wife. She had never seriously gone to church before marrying me, so I guess I've brought her to the Lord with a lot of help from the Pastor ;). And Economically, her family is a lot higher on the economic scale than mine was. But religion and money differences never caused me to think our marriage wasn't sound. Personally, I think we have been strengthened through all our difficulties.

Now excuse me, I just popped on for a sanity break. Been dealing with Father in Law this afternoon. He's going through a much more difficult time than I.

Bruce

Artful
01-03-2014, 11:25 PM
Condolences to you and your family - it must be going around my mother-in-law just took in her 18 year old niece - it's going to be interesting.

RED333
01-04-2014, 12:33 AM
WOW, prays on the way.

Dean D.
01-04-2014, 01:26 AM
Please accept my sincere condolences Bruce. I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers. Taking in your Niece speaks volumes about your quality of character. I tip my hat to you Sir.

starmac
01-04-2014, 03:40 AM
And I was giving my kids the boot at 18. lol I lost my MIL a few months ago, she also was a great lady.

jonp
01-04-2014, 11:42 AM
Sorry to hear about your Mother-In-Laws passing. I have a question though, did I read it right that the 18yr old young lady that moved in with you is the daughter of your ex-wifes sister? IE: no biological relation? Your current wife is something to agree to this and I mean that in a good way!

grumman581
01-04-2014, 08:56 PM
I figure that as long as we're not a candidate for the Jerry Springer show, we're doing pretty good. :)

Wayne Smith
01-04-2014, 10:03 PM
Condolences, Bruce. Any opportunity to positively influence the younger generation should be taken with joy! Our boys and daughter in law are blessings, thank God. Celebrating the oldest grandson's second birthday next Saturday!

bruce drake
01-04-2014, 11:18 PM
My niece is the daughter of my Brother in law and his ex-wife...My wife is a spoiler of all our nieces since I gave her 3 boys.

The niece still needs to finish high school. And Yes, I work to ensure they have a better start than what I had since their mother is so freaked out in the head. Brother In Law's lifestyle means he's out of the state to much for him to gain custody so we are keeping a protective eye out for the girls.

Buried my mother in law today. The church was packed to capacity with friends and family from around the state of Indiana. The Ex SIL, the whacked out, beyotch mother tried to prevent the nieces from attending the funeral this morning when I came to pick them up. That ended quickly this morning when I told her that if she and her new husband denied the girls the opportunity to say farewell to their Grandmother, I would take them to court to gain total custody of the 15 year old niece as well since the 18 year old now already lives with us. The nice thing is that I have a former State Supreme Court Judge here in Indiana as a fellow Legionnaire who's already agreed to represent me in my interests concerning these girls with the Department of Human Services.

Oh, and we have both nieces watching the football games with us tonight so perhaps the beyotch is starting to realize the she's lost her girls' affection with her attempted power-play this morning.

Bruce

xs11jack
01-04-2014, 11:44 PM
Bruce, condolences to you and your family. I too, had a wonderful mother in law, who passed away 12 years ago.
And Felix, you can give your boys a hint by changing the locks.
Ole Jack

TreeKiller
01-05-2014, 01:04 AM
I figure that as long as we're not a candidate for the Jerry Springer show, we're doing pretty good. :)
Not to hijack the thread! But my x daughter in law Made the show.
Bruce;
I stand in total admiration of you. Do not know if I could do that.
Dan

jonp
01-05-2014, 08:45 AM
My niece is the daughter of my Brother in law and his ex-wife...My wife is a spoiler of all our nieces since I gave her 3 boys.

The niece still needs to finish high school. And Yes, I work to ensure they have a better start than what I had since their mother is so freaked out in the head. Brother In Law's lifestyle means he's out of the state to much for him to gain custody so we are keeping a protective eye out for the girls.

Buried my mother in law today. The church was packed to capacity with friends and family from around the state of Indiana. The Ex SIL, the whacked out, beyotch mother tried to prevent the nieces from attending the funeral this morning when I came to pick them up. That ended quickly this morning when I told her that if she and her new husband denied the girls the opportunity to say farewell to their Grandmother, I would take them to court to gain total custody of the 15 year old niece as well since the 18 year old now already lives with us. The nice thing is that I have a former State Supreme Court Judge here in Indiana as a fellow Legionnaire who's already agreed to represent me in my interests concerning these girls with the Department of Human Services.

Oh, and we have both nieces watching the football games with us tonight so perhaps the beyotch is starting to realize the she's lost her girls' affection with her attempted power-play this morning.

Bruce

Congrats on stepping up and trying to set these girls on the right path. Too many kids get lost because everyone thinks its "someone elses job".

felix
01-05-2014, 02:52 PM
O'Jack, hugs are much, much mo'betta'. ... felix

pmeisel
01-05-2014, 08:34 PM
Good luck Bruce. Been through some of that, and it can sorely try your patience.

btroj
01-05-2014, 08:47 PM
Man, this makes me realize just how lucky I am. My inlaws are great and my wife gets along fine with my parents.

CLAYPOOL
01-05-2014, 08:52 PM
Step forward and help them.. As was said, here is a chance to introduce a couple of ladies to the shooting sports. Show them the proper way to safely shoot and enjoy firearms. My police chief keeps bringing shooters to my range to qualifie for Florida and soon Illinois Concealed Carry. Unfornatly (sp) about 1/2 the time forgets to pay for the use of my range. At least ladies are learning correctly and safely.

bruce drake
01-05-2014, 09:43 PM
Already have stepped forward. And yes, I plan to teach the girls to shoot the first chance I have. Snow storm is limiting that right now.

Bruce

7br
01-06-2014, 10:01 PM
I whole heartedly agree with teaching the girls to shoot. While you are at it, you might give them a few fashion pointers.

smokeywolf
01-06-2014, 10:29 PM
Bruce, I've been in similar circumstances. Always better to be the branch of the family providing sanctuary, than the branch of the family needing it.

Very sorry for your and your family's loss.

People like yourself who are willing to take in another's children (even though family) are examples of the best of our society.
Your commitment to family is to be lauded.

Thank you for sharing your sorrow, your strength and your steadfastness to family with us.

My condolences and my admiration to you.

smokeywolf

JeffinNZ
01-06-2014, 10:52 PM
Snow storm is limiting that right now.Bruce

What the.... You mean I sent them long johns for NOTHING!

bruce drake
01-06-2014, 11:17 PM
Hey! Marti was supposed to have texted Sheryl this morning Jeff! I wore them under my polar jacket and pants as I was shoveling out the driveway and helping two cars out of snowdrifts this morning. It was -14F (-25C) this morning with a windchill to -35F (-37C) And it never rose out of the negatives today. Indiana hasn't had a storm like this since 1978 according to the news. Legs stayed toasty warm despite the biting wind!

I may shoot in the snow but teenage nieces don't! And their wardrobes are a lot more extensive than mine!!!

Also the State has declared a state of emergency and we aren't to be on the roads unless absolutely essential. I'm not about to get a ticket for being stupid like my two neighbors probably were.

Bruce

JeffinNZ
01-07-2014, 04:53 AM
Well that's alright then. LOL.

alamogunr
01-07-2014, 10:04 AM
I started to post how lucky my wife and I are but decided that it would be inappropriate when so many have problems with family.

I will say a prayer for all those who are going through difficulties with family situations.

bruce drake
01-07-2014, 10:49 AM
No worries on that. Other than the crazy EX Sister in Law, the family is pretty well settled.

WilliamDahl
01-07-2014, 02:14 PM
I have a few relatives that I'm pretty sure could be candidates for the Jerry Springer show, but since I seldom go back to the family hometown or have any relations whatsoever with my family, it doesn't bother me. I'm perfectly happy to just live my own little anti-social SOB of a life and not have to deal with their drama. If I needed any "interpersonal interaction", I would just go outside and yell at the kids to get off my lawn when they are walking to or from the school bus stop.

7br
01-07-2014, 03:18 PM
Indiana hasn't had a storm like this since 1978 according to the news.

I may shoot in the snow but teenage nieces don't! And their wardrobes are a lot more extensive than mine!!!

Bruce

Think of the possiblities. An igloo shooting hut for the nieces. Couple it with a 50 yard snow tunnel to kill the report. Put a nice snow berm at the end of the tunnel to capture your slugs for more in depth inspection for purely scientific purposes.

blackthorn
01-07-2014, 08:14 PM
I have a few relatives that I'm pretty sure could be candidates for the Jerry Springer show, but since I seldom go back to the family hometown or have any relations whatsoever with my family, it doesn't bother me. I'm perfectly happy to just live my own little anti-social SOB of a life and not have to deal with their drama. If I needed any "interpersonal interaction", I would just go outside and yell at the kids to get of my lawn when they are walking to or from the school bus stop.

Make friends with the nieborhood kids! Do not tick them off! They have all the time they need to make your life miserable! Much more time than you have to try forcing them to your way of thinking.

WilliamDahl
01-07-2014, 08:44 PM
Make friends with the nieborhood kids! Do not tick them off! They have all the time they need to make your life miserable! Much more time than you have to try forcing them to your way of thinking.

Awh, 'ell, I'm not even friends with my family -- why would I want to be friends with some snotty nosed brats?

BruceB
01-07-2014, 08:54 PM
Buckshot's opinion of the annual Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot has always amused me greatly:

"It's like going to a family reunion where you actually LIKE everybody!"

Truer words,etc etc....

When my then-3-year-old daughter was asked how she chose such a nice Grandmother (in a whole roomful of Grandma's friends), she came out with a saying that I had NO IDEA she'd picked up. "You can pick your friends, but not your relatives." The room erupted in laughter....

DRNurse1
01-07-2014, 09:23 PM
I am sorry for your loss and the upheaval created by it, but it looks like you are headed in a good direction, both for you and your niece. Thank you for stepping up.

firefly1957
01-07-2014, 11:32 PM
Prayers that it all works out well for you. Right now i am watching my nieces three young ones she can not or will not care for them hopefully she gets turned around her younger sister will be taking them as soon as she is ready . Not sure what happened right to privacy and all but social workers pulled the kids and dumped them on the grandmother with hours notice (wife's sister) so we are helping her more than the niece.