PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum, a brief introduction.

ColterB
01-03-2014, 02:29 AM
Good evening, gentlemen. I just registered after reading posts on here on and off for a number of years. Not surprisingly, the reason I finally registered so I could make posts of my own is because I just got into boolit casting.

I've been reloading since I was 15. Authored an article for Guns & Ammo when I was 16 (did not appear in print until I was 17, though). I started working in a local mom and pop gun store when I was 17. I'm an Amateur Radio Operator, an Eagle Scout, and an NRA certified Range Safety Officer. I like backpacking, camping, shooting... most outdoor activities. I have shot casual IDPA matches a few times and enjoy it, but I usually shoot by myself or with friends.

Enough about me, though... Let's talk about boolit casting.
I sort of took the leap on a whim. Right now I am mainly looking at saving money. $4 a box 9mm and .38spl just has a certain appeal. I like shooting, and I want to shoot more. As time goes on I would like to get into some cartridges that are made for cast boolits. I've got a soft spot for trap door Springfields in .45-70. I wouldn't mind a .45 Colt of some type. An 1853 Enfield or an 1861 Colt Navy would be really neat. Maybe a .25-35, .44-40, etc... who knows.

As far as equipment... I have a near endless supply of range scrap, a cast iron skillet, and a propane burner from Lowe's. I've got a Lyman ingot mold and a Lee 4-20 lead pot on the way that should be here within a week or so. My first bullet mold, a six cavity Lee, along with some Liquid Alox should be here shortly. Waiting on that, I have processed about 100lbs of lead out of range scrap that is ready to be cast into boolits.

I have a lot to learn. I've been reading a lot for the past week or so, but there's nothing quite like hands on experience to show you how little you know about a topic. Should be an exciting adventure, though.

jmort
01-03-2014, 02:33 AM
"I've been reading a lot for the past week or so..."

That is key. Sounds like you are doing everything right. Get Lyman's cast bullet manual.

Bad Water Bill
01-03-2014, 02:50 AM
WELCOME TO OUR HAPPY HOME

Pull up a chair and enjoy.

Pb2au
01-03-2014, 08:39 AM
Welcome!
Definitely go purchase Lyman's cast bullet manual. It is the most important tool you can get.

Doc_Stihl
01-03-2014, 08:54 AM
Welcome aboard. I'll urge you to keep reading. There are a some good stickies explaining the basics that are very helpful.

Idaho Mule
01-03-2014, 10:14 AM
ColterB, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are on the right path with the reading and gathering of supplies. You will enjoy the whole casting aspect I think, it's loads of fun to shoot boolits you have hand-crafted. You have come to the right place, lots of info here and a whole bunch of good folks. JW

Gar
01-03-2014, 10:20 AM
Welcome to the madhouse, grab a cup and pull up a chair.

I second Pb2au's comment on purchasing Lyman's cast bullet manual, lots of good basic information.

WILCO
01-03-2014, 10:28 AM
"I've been reading a lot for the past week or so..."

That is key. Sounds like you are doing everything right. Get Lyman's cast bullet manual.

+1!!!!!!

Folks like a "Newbie" that doesn't ask a bunch of "Gimme" questions.

Welcome aboard!

koehn,jim
01-03-2014, 10:37 AM
Welcome aboard.

Beerd
01-03-2014, 11:19 AM
Hi ColterB and Welcome!

Did I hear someone say "The stickies are your friends"?

bhn22
01-03-2014, 12:06 PM
Welcome! Don't mind the crazies (I'm one of them), enjoy yourself!

OBIII
01-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Welcome ColterB. You have joined the Best Forum on the Net. The savings will start anytime now, real soon. :)
I would suggest a larger pot than a fry pan, cast iron dutch oven or the bottom of a propane tank. One of the members here makes those tanks and does good, inexpensive, work (D Crockett...I don't know if he's still selling them but you could send him a PM). You may want to check to see if your propane burner is a low pressure or high pressure. The low pressure are the ones commonly found on BBQ grills, and often do not supply enough heat to melt ingots in a timely manner, especially more than a few pounds. The high pressure are adjustable as far as heat output. Read up on the tinsel fairy, and cast safely.

OB

myg30
01-04-2014, 11:46 AM
ColterB, Welcome Sir. You'll be glad you came here. Great group of guys, info and learning never stops. I read here too for long time before my plunge into casting and creating a login. I read way more than I post but try to keep up on the posting as I can.
Amateur radio op ? So your a Ham ! Well my friend there are lots of them here too. I've been a ham since 71', great hobby.
Read on and enjoy. Ask away any questions, there are lots of answers here.

Mike

Echo
01-04-2014, 12:37 PM
Welcome, ColterB, to the greatest forum on the net. Been casting for decades, but have learned tons since I joined this forum a couple of years ago. Read the stickies, get the Lyman book, and join the addiction.
Milby '53, ex-W5HZM

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-04-2014, 01:19 PM
Good evening, gentlemen. I just registered after reading posts on here on and off for a number of years. Not surprisingly, the reason I finally registered so I could make posts of my own is because I just got into boolit casting.

...snip...

Welcome Colter, and a great first post and introduction.

Most newbies post some random questions about wanting all the hints, tips, and tricks, without the context necessary for a 'real' answer to be given. So, I compliment you on not asking those questions.

The best hint to every newbie, whether they ask or not, is to learn the advanced search feature, it will serve you well. There is nearly every answer already typed into some thread (many times over) somewhere on this website. If you need to search for something with a common keyword, like 308 or AR, then Google custom search is most helpful
https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=001951264366462437169:ggn3vg-bjum
OR sometimes if I forget that I have that bookmarked, I just type castboolits before the keywords in the google search window and I get very similar search results.

But don't be afraid to ask questions, mostly we are very friendly and want to help those new to casting, but be sure to have some details for 'context' so we may deliver good answers to you.
Good luck,
Jon

edited: I just reread you OP, and seen you are an Eagle Scout, congrats ! that seems to be a real good indicator that you are probably not part of the "instant gratification society". So I probably didn't need to post this lecture to you :)

jonp
01-04-2014, 03:33 PM
" I have a near endless supply of range scrap" ? Hello my new bestest friend of all time! :)