PDA

View Full Version : Little help on lube/sizers for RCBS 22 - 55 SP

larrymac1
01-02-2014, 07:30 PM
The bullets cast at .225 depending on which way I turn them in my caliper, sometimes .224. Sizer sheet indicates I need the RCBS 92240 which is a sizer for .225. Purchased bullets are .224. So my question is what size of a lube/sizer do I need? Do I need the sizer for the .224 or for the .225?

Thanks.

By the way the grain on the bullets are 57 to 59 and not 55. I think I may have too much lead in my mix.

myg30
01-05-2014, 06:15 PM
Start here.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?158805-Just-a-few-tips-for-new-rifle-casters

To much lead in your mix ?
At the bottom of the page there is Cast boolit notes from Lasc.us It has everything you need/want to know about lead and lead alloys along with the difference in cast boolit sizes when using different mix of lead.
I might suggest you print out the lead mix formulas so when you mix your wheel weights with ?? you can repeat the perfect lead mix for your mold.
It also tells you that casting temperature can affect the weights of your boolits, Really fascinating reading.

Mike

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-05-2014, 06:31 PM
Larry,
welcome to the best cast boolit website.
I'd strongly suggest you get and read the Lyman cast bullet handbook #4
But in the mean time, I'll give you a few quick/concise answers.
I'd recommend NOT sizing any smaller than .225
I use an alloy of 94-3-3, and I wouldn't recommend using anything softer.
check out the link to "Cast bullet notes from Lasc.us" at the bottom of this page.

It sounds like your boolits are a little small, If you are measuring them with a Caliper and don't have the 'feel' to measure ±.001 then your boolits may not be too small. But if they are under .225, you should do some research on how to cast to make them drop a little larger.

Also, when casting small caliber rifle, to get good accuracy, it's most important to sort out any with the slightest visible imperfections and then weigh sort them into .1 gr groups. I highly recommend using Gas checks, I mention this in case you want to try shooting them without. Follow these suggestions and you should be on the way to getting better than 3" groups at 50 yards...fail to heed my advice, and you surely be shooting patterns instead of groups.
Jon