PDA

View Full Version : 100 year old negatives found in Antartica.

savagetactical
01-02-2014, 04:30 PM
100 year old negatives found in Antartic (http://fstoppers.com/100-year-old-negatives-found-in-the-antarctic)

Amazingly well preserved I might add, they were discovered during the restoration of one of the Scott huts.

WILCO
01-02-2014, 04:38 PM
Another link: http://www.nzaht.org/AHT/antarctic-photos/

JeffinNZ
01-02-2014, 05:37 PM
Not so long ago a full case of Scotch (unopened bottles) was found in Scott's hut. A very small sample was allowed to be extracted and returned to the distillery from whence it came to see if they could duplicate it.

Coincedentally, I took my girls to the Int. Antarctic Centre in CHCH yesterday. Great history there and man, did those explores live hard!

savagetactical
01-02-2014, 05:49 PM
Not so long ago a full case of Scotch (unopened bottles) was found in Scott's hut. A very small sample was allowed to be extracted and returned to the distillery from whence it came to see if they could duplicate it.

Coincedentally, I took my girls to the Int. Antarctic Centre in CHCH yesterday. Great history there and man, did those explores live hard!

I remember that being in the news a couple of years ago. I wonder where they are at on the scotch.

wv109323
01-02-2014, 08:57 PM
Film and especially B&W will keep indefinitely when frozen. Back in the day professional films(color) were kept in refrigeration so that they had the exact same color and hue. It prevented a pro developer/printer from having to make color adjustments if a photographer used film from two different lots of film during the same shoot. Like a bride wearing a white dress in one lot of film and an off-white dress in the second lot.

koehn,jim
01-02-2014, 11:59 PM
The scotch was produced in a limited edition by the distillery and sold out Quickly it went for 150-175 a fifth. I don't know if they are coming out with anymore I hope so.

savagetactical
01-03-2014, 03:24 PM
The scotch was produced in a limited edition by the distillery and sold out Quickly it went for 150-175 a fifth. I don't know if they are coming out with anymore I hope so.

That is interesting... Not that I can afford it but it would be interesting to try. To see how it compares to more contemporary blends. Considering the 100 year old scotch they brought back is only as old as it way when it was bottled since Whiskys and Whiskeys for that matter stop aging after being bottled.

Pb2au
01-03-2014, 03:57 PM
Very interesting read, thank you for sharing.

w5pv
01-03-2014, 05:50 PM
I always liked the sour mash and it didn't matter too much then what age it was.

jaystuw
01-04-2014, 12:16 PM
To view a few moments in time, taken during the heroic era of artic exploration, and found in the scott hut, is a priceless and wonderful treat. Thanks savagetactical. Check out a site called 'the history blog' for an everyday serving of treats. Jay

jonp
01-04-2014, 03:31 PM
Very nice but Scott..meh...

One word: Shackelton

jaystuw
01-04-2014, 04:43 PM
Yeah, I believe the pics are from the 1916 shackelton expedition that wintered in the scott hut. Latter to be stranded on the ice in an epic tale of survival. jay