PDA

View Full Version : Sunny, calm and -7*F at 3P.M.

Pepe Ray
01-02-2014, 04:25 PM
Beautiful day out, as viewed from my Living room window.

Went to the kitchen to pour a glass of V-8. Checked the water at the sink, The hot side was still full run but the cold had started to catch. That means freeze for those of you in the southland.
So I simpley turned the faucet outlet valve to OFF and turned both hot and cold valves ON and walked away.
Simple eh?
I described the set up to one of ours (yours and mine) several years ago when he was having freeze up problems.
I guess he must have forgoten or didn't give me credit for having a brain.
Oh well, live and learn--------maybe.

Living in an old rickety farm house in North Central Maine for 40 years is a great educator on many fronts.

AWTTW
Pepe Ray

plmitch
01-02-2014, 05:11 PM
Boy thats cold!, don't miss being there.

oldred
01-02-2014, 05:20 PM
We have been really lucky here in East Tn for the last ten years or so we have not had any real winter, no snow to speak of and rarely did the temps drop into the single digits, only one time last winter did it get down to below 15F! Well our luck has run out and tonight is supposed to be 4F with some snow, tomorrow night it's actually supposed to dip below zero F, not bad weather at all for some folks I suppose but I just don't like cold weather!

bangerjim
01-02-2014, 05:27 PM
Fought that pipe-freezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing stuff all my life................ until we moved to AZ 29 years ago.

banger

km101
01-02-2014, 05:28 PM
I hope you are well prepared, 'cause the weather guessers say it's gonna' get really cold up there tomorrow! (Fri.) But that's not anything new to you! Stay bundled up and stay warm!

FISH4BUGS
01-02-2014, 05:29 PM
It is about 6 above here with hard snow....it has been snowing since about 3 this morning.....snowed about 6" so far today.....and the worst is yet to come. The forecast says 18" when it is all said and done. It is supposed to get REALLY bad tonight later (somewhere about 8 pm it will start the heavy stuff and go all night) with snow rates at 2" per hour, with 35-50 mph winds. We are up on a ridge so we will get the worst of it. Blizzard warnings by NOAA have been issued. Weather radio is full of warnings.....
How do we cope? Generator is hooked up and ready if needed....50 gallons of reserve fuel.....wood stove is fired up and keeping us toasty warm.....2 day supply of wood is stacked in the casting shed......another 7 cords outside....freezer is full of food.....snow blower gassed up and ready to roll....roof rake ready to go.......
BRING IT ON!

JeffinNZ
01-02-2014, 05:30 PM
Aye carumba! That's cold by anyone's standards.

lancem
01-02-2014, 05:41 PM
Sunny and 60 or so today, looking for 74 by Saturday. I love the SW Texas weather, been there done that for a lifetime in the cold, no more for me!

Mk42gunner
01-02-2014, 05:49 PM
My old farmhouse is plumbed strangely, I only have to drip the hot water in the kitchen to keep everything in the house flowing. If you shut off the hot water drip though, everything will freeze solid.

My problem this year is my outside frostproof hydrant keeps freezing up, I think the gravel bed has filed in with silt so it doesn't drain quick enough. I guess I get to dig it up when it finally thaws out to find out. Mean while I get to carry water in a bucket from the house for the outside animals.

Robert

FISH4BUGS
01-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Sunny and 60 or so today, looking for 74 by Saturday. I love the SW Texas weather, been there done that for a lifetime in the cold, no more for me!
There is no such thing as bad weather....there are just underdressed people.
I LOVE all the seasons in New Hampshire. All five of them. Summer, Fall, Winter, Mud Season and Spring.

MaryB
01-03-2014, 01:28 AM
Bath and kitchen faucets trickling mainly to keep water moving in the basement that isn't heated well. -8 for a high, -20 right now. Sunday night might hit -28!

tommag
01-03-2014, 01:44 AM
Not sure about the generator and snow blower, but several cords of wood at the ready and a full freezer..... You're set, no problem!

FISH4BUGS
01-03-2014, 10:50 AM
Not sure about the generator and snow blower, but several cords of wood at the ready and a full freezer..... You're set, no problem!

The generator runs the well pump, freezer, furnace (for hot water and backup heat only - it hasn't come on yet this year) refrigerator, sump pumps and a bunch of lights. We had an ice storm in 2009 that left us without power for 11 days.....never again. The snow blower does the driveway 2 cars wide by about 100 feet long. Too much to shovel. It took about two hours of good hard snow blowing, roof raking and shoveling to get all cleaned out but we are good to go. Power never even blinked. Now we just have to wait for it to warm up. High today only about 5 degrees.
We got about 14" of snow with high winds so it drifted knee deep in places. Pretty good snowstorm!

jonp
01-03-2014, 01:55 PM
There is no such thing as bad weather....there are just underdressed people.
I LOVE all the seasons in New Hampshire. All five of them. Summer, Fall, Winter, Mud Season and Spring.
Supposed to be single digit windchill here this evening when I have to work outside for my shift. My sweetie said to wear my longjohns. I told her being cold means one thing, you don't know how to dress yourself.
I got a very large education in old houses when i bought a 100yr old uninsulated fishing lodge in Northern Vermont. It was fun.

454PB
01-03-2014, 02:11 PM
I went to the range yesterday to do some chronograph tests. It was 36 degrees (very warm for January in Montana) when I left the house. The range is about 1000 feet higher than the house, and the wind was blowing around 30 MPH. I got my testing done, but didn't spend any extra time on targets like I normally do.

DRNurse1
01-03-2014, 02:45 PM
Musings from my neighborhood:

Spent a few hours with the local EMS yesterday before the storm started. A fellow was teaching his daughter to drive on a vacant parking lot when she drove into a sump. Cell phone to call us, and we found a fellow with shorts sneakers and a t-shirt in the passenger seat and a lady with flip flops, shorts and a tank top trying to drive. They declined our services but accepted the tow truck's. Can I submit a Darwin nomination: the temp was 25 degrees and they were driving a drop top (top up of course).

Snow kept our ER slow last night but it promises to make up for it today / night. We only had 8 inches of fluffy stuff but the highway departments spend our hard earned $$ brining the roads before a predicted snow then salting them afterward>>>slush and ice under the snow for those Southern folks among us=lots of folks off the road this morning.

I asked the local road superintendent to try the dirt/ cinder trick before and during the storm , then plow it off the road when the snow stops and spread more cinders. He did that during the last storm (2-3 inches) and saved beaucoup $$ on salt and brine. Then, the town superintendent said he was contracted to buy so many tons of salt (bid and paid for before the season) so either use it or no $$ for it next year.....government sure could do a fine job with health care, too.

Stay warm and safe out there, Cast Boolits folks. No Darwin nominations among us.

redneckdan
01-03-2014, 11:54 PM
-37 here yesterday morning. 12 this morning with 30 mph winds. Was a miserable two days to be working outside at the mine.

garym1a2
01-04-2014, 08:56 AM
It got really cold here last night, down to 42, I need to move further south!

snowwolfe
01-04-2014, 11:49 AM
If you like extreme weather changes try moving to Colorado:) Yesterday it was 61 and sunny and this morning it is 26 and snowing and blowing hard.

reloader28
01-04-2014, 12:00 PM
I got you beat snowwolfe.
2 weeks ago we had 50+ and the next day was -10.

cbrick
01-04-2014, 12:16 PM
It's al gore's fault, all of it. No wait, maybe it's Bush. Yeah that's it, it's Bush's fault!

Rick

375supermag
01-04-2014, 02:50 PM
Hi...

We set a record here in York,Pa last night...-7F.

Warmed up fairly nicely today....about 30F.
Supposed to have freezing rain and then warm up into the 40s tomorrow.

They are predicting 0F here in a day or two...the weather roller coaster continues.

fatnhappy
01-04-2014, 02:58 PM
-6° this morning with sustained 20 mph winds and 45 mph gusts. It was 1° last night when I spent 2 hours outside snow blowing my driveway and then the neighbor's. No wind at all. I thought it was beautiful, very serene.

Crash_Corrigan
01-04-2014, 03:09 PM
Our high today will be in the mid 60's and last night the low was in the high 40's. It's tough here in Las Vegas.

BD
01-04-2014, 04:37 PM
We've had a little cold spell this past week. It made it a little tough at work as some of the equipment won't start, and stuff breaks more easily. However, what will really make trouble is when it warms up on Monday and rains, then drops back to zero Tuesday. If I had my druthers, I'd just as soon it stayed cold all winter. I can deal with the cold and snow, but ice can really cause trouble.
BD

lancem
01-04-2014, 05:32 PM
Ah man almost too hot out today, 74 degrees. Glad it's a bit overcast otherwise it would be a scorcher!!!

WallyM3
01-04-2014, 05:36 PM
-17 here @ 23:00 last night.

'spozed to be mid-40s Sunday.

MtGun44
01-04-2014, 06:22 PM
Fish4 bugs - that's a variation of a saying I picked up when traveling in Russia -

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothes." I was told that when we were going
out for an evening walk in -25F temperatues. Dressed properly with my nice
marten ushanka, and lots of layers, it was just fine.

Bill

MaryB
01-04-2014, 11:37 PM
new pellet stove installed and running for the first time. Lots of playing with draft but I really missed this nice even heat after I went without one for a year. Installed this afternoon, was not fun in 5 degrees and a -20 windchill to be outside cutting an 8 inch square hole in the wall!

zuke
01-05-2014, 09:16 AM
New year's day and the 2 day's following it was -40ish here. Then the wind started and brought that to the mid -50's.

cbrick
01-05-2014, 09:26 AM
It will be a fun day this afternoon out on the frozen tundra of Green Bay. Ah football as it was meant to be, wuss's stay home. Me, I'm a wuss, gonna throw a log on the fire & watch the game from the comfort of the big chair. :mrgreen:

Rick

marvelshooter
01-05-2014, 09:31 AM
It will be a fun day this afternoon out on the frozen tundra of Green Bay. Ah football as it was meant to be, wuss's stay home. Me, I'm a wuss, gonna throw a log on the fire & watch the game from the comfort of the big chair. :mrgreen:

Rick
Last week's Patriots game was played in a driving rain and 39 degrees at night. The stadium was full. I would not have gone if you gave me the ticket.

btroj
01-05-2014, 09:34 AM

Rick

Please tell me you aren't a packers fan, I would lose lots of respect.....

We are forecast for a high of 9 today but with windchill it will feel like 10 below. Overnight it is expected to drop to 13 below with windchill approaching 40 below.

I think I will stay home today.

cbrick
01-05-2014, 09:52 AM
Cheese forever! :mrgreen:

375supermag
01-05-2014, 10:22 AM

Rick

Hey! That's my plan as well.
Always entertaining to watch millionaires playing a game in the rain, snow, sleet and freezing cold for my amusement.

I'll be warm, dry and well-fed. Life is good!

rexherring
01-05-2014, 10:55 AM
It's a -21 with a wind chill of -51 right now here in western ND.

Chihuahua Floyd
01-05-2014, 11:11 AM
National Weather service says snow and -1 degree F for Monday night in western NC. Coldest I have ever seen was -8 in Raleigh, Jan 1985.
I HATE cold, have a circulation condition that limits my blood flow to hands and feet during cold weather (anything lower than about 45 degrees). Hands and feet loose all feeling other than pain, stiffin up, takes a couple of hours to warm up and regain feeling. 25 minutes in freezing temps and I can't even write with a pencil.
I plan on staying indoors as much as possible.
CF

btroj
01-05-2014, 11:20 AM
Cheese forever! :mrgreen:

Damn you Rick

reloader28
01-05-2014, 11:43 AM
It's a -21 with a wind chill of -51 right now here in western ND.

I was wondering if we were going to hear from someone in your area. I heard it was sposed to be around -60*.
Were setting at 4* with -19* wind chill right now. Think I'll brew my beer today on the old wood cookstove.:drinks:

cbrick
01-05-2014, 12:07 PM
We are forecast for a high of 9 today but with windchill it will feel like 10 below. Overnight it is expected to drop to 13 below with windchill approaching 40 below. I think I will stay home today.

Sure wish you guys up there would keep that to yourself where it belongs. Supposed to 0 tonight here and warming right up to 10 tomorrow. For here that's just not in the realm of reality, happens here but very rarely. It's all Brad's fault for not keeping it where it belongs. :( Maybe al gore's fault. No, it's gotta be Bush, Bush did this.

Snowing right now and the dog is glued to the carpet in front of the fireplace, won't even go out to go potty.

Rick

btroj
01-05-2014, 12:16 PM
Rick, I try to keep my cold away from Gear too but he won't keep his heat and humidity in check so blame him.

We get this kind of cold and 95 plus and humid in the summer. If it wasn't for a low population able and good, honest people this place would suck. The values of the people make it bearable, what few people we have.

rexherring
01-05-2014, 02:37 PM
Sure wish you guys up there would keep that to yourself where it belongs. Supposed to 0 tonight here and warming right up to 10 tomorrow. For here that's just not in the realm of reality, happens here but very rarely. It's all Brad's fault for not keeping it where it belongs. :( Maybe al gore's fault. No, it's gotta be Bush, Bush did this.

Snowing right now and the dog is glued to the carpet in front of the fireplace, won't even go out to go potty.

Rick

I was wondering if we were going to hear from someone in your area. I heard it was sposed to be around -60*.
Were setting at 4* with -19* wind chill right now. Think I'll brew my beer today on the old wood cookstove.:drinks:

That reminds me, I got an Octoberfest refill for my Mr. Beer kit. Good way to start out the new year. Home brew.:drinks: