PDA

View Full Version : Back "in the day"........

Larry Gibson
01-02-2014, 03:21 PM
Picture of the first buck I killed with a 311041HP in a bolt action rifle. That's a .308W I built on a 1928 Oviedo M93 action. Load was 30 gr H4895 with a Dacron filler. Year was '69. Location was up the Smith River in SW Oregon.

I'm still that handsome BTW......:roll:

Larry Gibson

Doc Highwall
01-02-2014, 03:26 PM
Larry it looks like you are still wearing your army greens in the photo. Was this after you got out?

Larry Gibson
01-02-2014, 03:43 PM
I was off active duty but still in the active SF reserve.

Larry Gibson

Crawdaddy
01-02-2014, 04:01 PM
Is that a Blacktail? Spent some time in Newport, that was all they had there. Or at leat all I ever saw.

Your pic made me think back to my first one. thanks for sharing.

Digital Dan
01-02-2014, 05:22 PM
So, you eat snakes too!:drinks:

JeffinNZ
01-02-2014, 05:27 PM
Did the boolit blow up on the surface Larry? [smilie=1:

white eagle
01-02-2014, 07:27 PM
cool story and nice deer

Djones
01-02-2014, 10:03 PM
Awesome picture! You have been hunting with cast for some time. Thanks for sharing.

Larry Gibson
01-03-2014, 11:43 AM
So, you eat snakes too!:drinks:

I have eatin' one or two.....required yah know........[smilie=l:

Larry Gibson

Larry Gibson
01-03-2014, 12:15 PM
Did the boolit blow up on the surface Larry? [smilie=1:

Good one........[smilie=l:

I had used the 311041HP in the 30-30 (M94 carbine) to kill several deer and feral goats. I found that WWs (they did not have the "stick on" back then) were too brittle. The petals would shear off or shatter but the back half would still drive on killing the animal ala' a partition bullet. I had read the article in one of the 1st editions of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook about hunting with cast bullets in Africa, sorry don't remember the author. He discussed different alloys, one with solder and lead added to the WWs. As I recall the bullet used on this deer was the 1st with the 311041HP cast of that alloy. The bullet was through and through but I still found some sloughed off parts of the expansion petals. Took a few more deer and goats with the same results.

About that time SuperVel ammunition and bullets came out and there was much ado in the gun magazines about HPs and how to control expansion. That's when I started doing some realistic testing in sopping newsprint and found that the HP stem was way too long. I began to shorten the stem a bit at a time and test it in the newsprint and then on game. All of which transpired over several years. I also started using the Forster 1/8" & 1/16th HP tool to HP other bullets and the instructions said to just HP to a depth of 1/8". I knew I was headed in the right direction with the 311041HP. The final HP depth I arrived at with it is 3/16" deep.

Cast of todays softer COWWs + 2% tin and then mixed 50/50 with lead it is an excellent bullet with very good expansion to 200 yards in deer sized game. Few bullets are recovered as they are through and through. The wound channels show excellent expansion and few bullet fragments are found indication the bullet is expanding and retaining the expansion petals. Wet news print test show about the same expansion and penetration as a couple 170 gr FN jacketed 30-30 factory loads.

I usually push the thus cast 311041HPs to 2000 fps in 10" twists and 2100 - 2200 in 12" twists with barrels of 22 - 26" long. In the M94 carbine with it's 12" twist (new jap made M94s have 10" twists) and using LeveRevolution powder the velocities run 2150 fps. Those then retain sufficient velocity for very good expansion to 200 yards.

The above was been about a 20 year odyssey of mine before I got it worked out with the 311041HP in numerous rifles. It is my "go to" .30 cast hunting bullet. I favor it in the 30-30 in my M94 carbine and especially in my M94 rifle with 24" barrel. It is an excellent performer in every .308W rifle, especially those with 12" twists, that I have used it in. Always very accurate and the terminal ballistics equal the best of jacketed 30-30 loads.

Larry Gibson

AlaskanGuy
01-03-2014, 12:24 PM
Very nice.... I bet you dont have any of them blacktails around your neck of the woods now...lol

They are about the hardest deer to hunt in my opinion... More wary then any of the others... I think its because there are lots of critters where they live that like to eat them still....

AG

Gray Fox
01-03-2014, 12:42 PM
Larry: I still have a set of those fatigues in a box someplace. If I continue with my current eating lifestyle changes I'll be able to get them on again by spring turkey season. GF

Larry Gibson
01-03-2014, 02:49 PM
Larry: I still have a set of those fatigues in a box someplace. If I continue with my current eating lifestyle changes I'll be able to get them on again by spring turkey season. GF

I've still got a set too (medium regulars back then and loose fitting at that!) , along with a set of tiger stripes that are Asian large I brought back from my second trip to the SEA War Games......... These days I'm hard pressed to get my large regular BDU/DCUs buttoned up.....obviously ate too many of those deer[smilie=l:.....was a young lion once though.......

Larry Gibson

Larry Gibson
01-03-2014, 02:53 PM
Very nice.... I bet you dont have any of them blacktails around your neck of the woods now...lol

They are about the hardest deer to hunt in my opinion... More wary then any of the others... I think its because there are lots of critters where they live that like to eat them still....

AG

I used to hear white tail hunters complain how sneaky and smart those were.....I told them they obviously have not hunted black tails in the rain forests of the PNW........all I got was a deer in the headlight look which was answer enough..........:2_high5:

Larry Gibson

missionary5155
01-03-2014, 03:03 PM
Greetings
Clicked open this and the flood of memories of the "pickle suit"! Had a SF type attached to our tank company in Germany for awhile on a Reforger outing. He would ride around with us all day sleeping in a gunners seat. Then night time he would slip away and return before sunup. I decided I had no desire to know what he was doing running around out by the Chek border.
That is a fine looking photo and deer as I have seen from 69 in awhile. Most mine are loosing color. I never saw a deer in SW Michigan (Paw Paw River area) until 1968 and they were still "verboten" to persue when I got my pickle suit. Had to be content with fox and river rats.
I have to agree 50-50 makes a good rifle boolit. Have shoot numerous critters with them and never had one fail to smash through and do what I desired. I did discover a big shoulder was not a best target if I wanted an exit wound.
Got lamblasted on another place for suggesting 50-50 in hunting rifles at slower velocities as it "had to horribly lead a rifle barrel". Mentioned I normally only needed to shoot one so leading if any was a no factor. Did little to help the issue.
Mike in Peru

35 shooter
01-03-2014, 11:16 PM
Nice lookin rig you had there! Cool picture.

Larry Gibson
01-03-2014, 11:54 PM
That is a nice looking stock, you put some work into it. The stock comb, forend cap and pistol grip with white-line spacer and contrasting wood. 45 years ago , phew! Do you still have the rifle?

Yes I still have the rifle. However I shot that barrel out and another Star barrel in .308W. The Oviedo action held up fine and is now my .308 CBC (Cast Bullet Cartridge) rifle with the set back and rechambered 2 groove 'A3 barrel. As I recall that is a Richards Micro-Fit stock.

Larry Gibson

Larry Gibson
01-03-2014, 11:56 PM
Got lamblasted on another place for suggesting 50-50 in hunting rifles at slower velocities as it "had to horribly lead a rifle barrel". Mentioned I normally only needed to shoot one so leading if any was a no factor. Did little to help the issue.

Mike

I guess "ignorance is bliss", little do they know.

Thanks for the post.

Larry Gibson

BNE
01-04-2014, 12:20 AM
Thank you for the picture.

Thank you for your service.

I was born in 69. I'm glad there were guys like you around.

trochilids
01-04-2014, 01:12 AM
Exactly what BNE said. My dad is your age. That generation rocks.

Great pic, by the way.

monge
01-04-2014, 08:17 AM
Great photo, Nice kill Thank You for your service to our great country!

richhodg66
01-04-2014, 09:50 AM
I really appreciate these posts, Larry. I'm also glad you imparted the wisdom learned so I didn't have to take so long to do it. Followed your advice on the 50/50 + 2% and have killed three deer now with .30 caliber cast; one with an original Ideal 31141, one with the Ranchdog bullet and one with the NOE 311041 clone with slightly larger nose in a .30-30, .308 and .300 Savage respectively. I like the results and doubt I'll ever use jacketed again at least in .30 or bigger rifles.

Digital Dan
01-04-2014, 11:18 AM
I have eatin' one or two.....required yah know........[smilie=l:

Larry Gibson

I do know. Off topic I suppose, but thanks for livin' in the shadows for a spell. Was a scout pilot (2/17th Air Cav) in I Corps for a couple years and worked with both 75th Rangers and 1st Marine Recon quite a bit. We were all of the opinion the other was nutz. :drinks:

We were both probably right.

Dan

Larry Gibson
01-04-2014, 01:41 PM
Dan

I always knew I wasn't crazy......every one else was[smilie=1:

Larry Gibson

To all

It was a pleasure to serve, thanks for the kind words.

Rustyleee
01-05-2014, 10:45 PM
[QUOTE=Larry Gibson;2558920]Dan

I always knew I wasn't crazy......every one else was[smilie=1:

We're all crazy... It's just by degrees.

taco650
01-07-2014, 10:02 AM
I used to hear white tail hunters complain how sneaky and smart those were.....I told them they obviously have not hunted black tails in the rain forests of the PNW........all I got was a deer in the headlight look which was answer enough..........:2_high5:

Larry Gibson

I've killed 2 PNW blacktail bucks (one in the OR coast range, the other on the WA coast). Both were in the rut so they had their guard down. All the others I came in contact with while hunting were crashing through the brush AWAY from me. Might get a flash of that little black tail but that was it. They are a very wary deer, much more so than the whitetails I see here in GA.

Thank for sharing your "blast from the past". Thank you also for all the knowledge on CB's post. I haven't been on this site very long but I find your posts very informative and want to thank you for sharing your experience with CB's. You do it in a knowledgeable but non-arrogant way. Please continue to share this knowledge so us newbies can avoid costly errors.

DeadWoodDan
01-07-2014, 11:16 PM
Wish IL would allow rifle to be used for Whitetail, but have been working on my boolits for my Hawkins so hopefully will one day be able to say I filled my tag with my own cast.
DWD

mpbarry1
01-07-2014, 11:21 PM
Cool buck Larry. when are you coming back up to the rainforest?

Larry Gibson
01-08-2014, 10:30 AM
Should make it back up that way this summer (July/August)......when it stops raining..........

Larry Gibson

taco650
01-08-2014, 02:05 PM
Should make it back up that way this summer (July/August)......when it stops raining..........

Larry Gibson

"...when it stops raining..." LOL!

FLINTNFIRE
01-08-2014, 02:54 PM
Hey there is a 5 minute lull in the rain right now

Doc Highwall
01-08-2014, 11:12 PM
I am in Hollywood FL right now and it is 68 degrees and has been raining and spitting for two days but back home in CT it is 17 degrees but I am not complaining.

Larry Gibson
01-08-2014, 11:37 PM
Doc

Was 65, sunny and a beautiful day here today........hope those guys don't think I'm headin' north soon:-D

Larry Gibson

taco650
01-09-2014, 09:23 AM
Stay in the desert Larry!

TXGunNut
01-10-2014, 12:09 AM
After teens Monday we're looking at 60's and rain tomorrrow.

David2011
01-10-2014, 12:24 AM
Awesome, Larry!

I had to listen for four days last "weekend" to a 20 year old talking about "back in the day" and he was talking about things he had done as a teenager.

David

taco650
01-10-2014, 09:17 AM
Awesome, Larry!

I had to listen for four days last "weekend" to a 20 year old talking about "back in the day" and he was talking about things he had done as a teenager.

David

I know what you mean! I'm 50 & work with several 20 something's who'll start a story with "well I remember when I was a kid..." and I'm thinking "ya, last week!" LOL!

JMtoolman
01-10-2014, 11:22 AM
Larry neat picture, that area was named after my Smith side of my family. They were the first to settle there in the 1800's. Best regards, the toolman.

Larry Gibson
01-10-2014, 11:28 AM
Larry neat picture, that area was named after my Smith side of my family. They were the first to settle there in the 1800's. Best regards, the toolman.

Part of my family settled down in that area back in the mid 1800's also! My uncle used to guide for trout stripers and salmon on the Umpqua and Smith rivers. I spent many a wonderful days as a small kid traipsing along behind him on those rivers and in the mountains. Kids these days think they got it good with video games.....little do they know....which is too bad.......

Larry Gibson

onceabull
01-10-2014, 02:03 PM
Great Pic & story, Larry..Those worn out by the water torture for Oregon's West slope blacktails could try drying out while hunting them near Lake Pillsbury,or Cobb Mtn ,Calif. around Labor Day w'kend.. Onceabull

308w
01-10-2014, 02:33 PM
I don't doubt those PNW blacktails are scittish, but where i live the deer, whitetails mind you, are pursued by dogs about 11.5 months out of the year. When you kill one on these nervous specimens you can pat yourself on the back. I've been very proud of any archery taken deer here, anybody who has hunted around here will say same thing!!

samwithacolt
01-11-2014, 07:54 PM
Awesome Larry, thanks for posting.
I just got into casting last year. Today I'm excited as I just got home from the range where I was using that same load. Mine is a lee .314/180gr sized to .311 over 30 gr 4895 and dacron in .308! I can't wait to hunt with it.
This site rocks, the collective knowledge here is priceless.