PDA

View Full Version : 1950s Mattel Colt 45 is this where it all began?

DougGuy
01-02-2014, 12:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR9ojNddiSI

brassrat
01-02-2014, 12:40 PM
I am guessing that is no way to play.

jcameron996
01-02-2014, 12:40 PM
That's awesome!

Charlie Two Tracks
01-02-2014, 12:49 PM
I don't remember seeing that commercial or gun. I bet it must have cost a fair amount back then. We had some great cap guns but not like that.

DougGuy
01-02-2014, 12:56 PM
Yep they were too rich to make my Santa list you can bet none of the kids I grew up with had one.. Think they were costly back then?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950S-Mattel-Shootin-Shell-Frontier-Single-Holster-Cap-Gun-Set-/400633251185?pt=Vintage_Antique_Toys_US&hash=item5d479a4571

Char-Gar
01-02-2014, 01:15 PM
Mattel was late to that game. The Stallion 45 preceded it by a decade or two. It was made by Nichols in Pasadena Texas and worked just like the Mattel in the video. I used regular roll caps, that were cut off the roll and placed in the reloadable cartridges. These came out just after WWII in 1946. They differ from the Mattel in they had cast in cattle brand engraving on them.

I had a pair along with white patented leather holsters with red rhinestones on them. The holster were lined with red flannel. How do I know, I had a pair and nobody in my circle of friends had anything like them.

This pic was taken shortly after I got them for Christmas in 1947. My sister had them on for the pic and I had my older and much ratter rig on.

Here is a pic of my sister wearing them and getting the drop on me and my friend Tim in 1947. I am the short guy on the left. Today this rig in good condition would worth be well north of $1,500.00. When I got to big for cap pistol, they were donated to a group gathering toys for poor kids.

popper
01-02-2014, 01:30 PM
There was a version where the cap went in the case, non-projectile bullet went in the case. I don't think it was Mattel.

jcwit
01-02-2014, 01:34 PM
There was a version where the cap went in the case, non-projectile bullet went in the case. I don't think it was Mattel.

This is what I had, no idea who made it.

powderburnerr
01-02-2014, 01:49 PM
I had one of them ,I remember the caps , probably why I now am a reloader

Charley
01-02-2014, 02:20 PM
Hubley also marketed a series of gun that had a brass case, a smaller case that fit inside it (probably zinc, thinking back) and a red plastic bullet that fit into the zinc insert. Cap went between the brass case and the zinc insert. The flash from the cap would shoot the red plastic bullet about 25 feet. This would have been about 1962 or so. Anyone remember that one?

wgr
01-02-2014, 02:41 PM
stickem caps

Red River Rick
01-02-2014, 02:59 PM
You can't have anything like that now................someone might get hurt, or worse............loose an eye!

Aw..........the good old days. I had one of those as well.

shooterg
01-02-2014, 03:18 PM
I really really envied the boys that had the Fanner 50's. Not in my family's budget. Later, I think they made a Rifleman (Chuck Connors) version. I've seen 'em in antique stores with huge prices even without the shells and caps. Most of the bullets probably got lost !

DougGuy
01-02-2014, 04:46 PM
Here is a pic of my sister wearing them and getting the drop on me and my friend Tim in 1947. I am the short guy on the left. Today this rig in good condition would worth be well north of $1,500.00. When I got to big for cap pistol, they were donated to a group gathering toys for poor kids.

Char-Gar that is classic!

bhn22
01-02-2014, 06:13 PM
American Pickers would give you $25.00 for them today if you still had them.

CastingFool
01-02-2014, 06:30 PM
I didn't have anything fancy as those, but I wish I still had them. Not only did I have a couple of cap pistols, but I also had a scoped rifle that fired caps. That one didn't last long. My mom got upset with me about something, and she grabbed the rifle and whacked me with it. Broke the plastic stock. She seldom got that upset with me, I must have pushed the envelope a bit more than the usual.

01-02-2014, 06:35 PM
My parents, too, were never able to afford a Fanner 50, though I did have a cap gun that used conventional roll caps.

Nor were they able to afford a Red Ryder BB rifle. Using a friend's rifle, one day, to shoot flies that were sitting on a fence, a ricochet hit just below my left eye. Ralphie's mother was almost right.

slim1836
01-02-2014, 07:14 PM
I had one, it was called a "Fanner Fifty" if my memory serves me right.
Had the same features too. This was in the early 60's.

Slim

Westwindmike
01-02-2014, 08:01 PM
I had one. Mine had a cup shaped hole in the grip to put the plastic boolit in to hold it straight while you pushed the spring loaded case down on it. Didn't take me long to lose all my boolits.

Baron von Trollwhack
01-02-2014, 08:23 PM
I had the non-projectile version......what a fun toy. I also had the M-3 GREASE GUN a bit later, with the wind up full auto. It was so close to real I could only play with it in the farm woodlot .

BvT

JWFilips
01-02-2014, 10:54 PM
I was a lucky boy!...... I got duel 45's with twin holsters and lots of projectiles & greenies.... Not to mention the belt buckle shooting derringer ....One of the greatest presents I ever got as a kid!
Man that commercial sure did bring back memories

Echo
01-03-2014, 02:25 AM
The first gun Talley Nichols made was a single action called the Mustang, of which I had one. My Dad had worked with Talley before he went into the cap-pistol business, and was asked to join the effort - he declined - whatever. Nichols pioneered (I think...) forced-cooled molds, where he could turn out all parts of a gun every few seconds. BIG name in the fifties...

MtGun44
01-03-2014, 02:31 AM
That was the first 'reloading' I ever did as a kid. Loved the one with the derringer in
the belt buckle that popped out and fired if you raised your hands with the monofilament
line attached to your hand and the trip lever in the buckle. LOL! Stick-'em up and the
little plastic boolit fires out as the derringer is swung out of the belt buckle

I think the regular pistol was the "Fanner '50", loaded with grey plastic bullets into the
spring loaded case, and stick a 'Greenie Stick-em Cap' on the back to make the pop.

Bill

leadman
01-03-2014, 04:58 AM
I had the Fanner 50 and the holster swiveled and when it did it would fire the gun while it was in the holster. I had it still at my parents house when I went in the service. Wasn't there when I got back.

Ramar
01-03-2014, 12:32 PM
Yep, the shoot'in shell is where I started my reloading. I also had the duel rig with the shooting buckle and a bowie knife in my boot. My parents in1976 cleaned out the attic and out they went along with all my collectables. I've still got an empty spot in my heart that they occupied. I'd cast lead Fort Apache indians and knock'm over with those little bullets and sometimes with a double greenie.
Ramar

JWFilips
01-03-2014, 01:32 PM
I'd cast lead Fort Apache indians and knock'm over with those little bullets and sometimes with a double greenie.
Ramar

Oh Wow! I did double greenies too....trying to push the "pressure envelope" :bigsmyl2:

DoubleAdobe
01-03-2014, 01:51 PM
I had a buddy that had a Fanner 50, I tried to wear it out for him. He was an only child and had the newest and the best of whatever latest toy. I was pretty envious of the roomful of stuff he had that he didn't much care about. Thinking about it today, having all that stuff didn't make him any happier than anyone else.

dagger dog
01-03-2014, 02:02 PM
Hubley also marketed a series of gun that had a brass case, a smaller case that fit inside it (probably zinc, thinking back) and a red plastic bullet that fit into the zinc insert. Cap went between the brass case and the zinc insert. The flash from the cap would shoot the red plastic bullet about 25 feet. This would have been about 1962 or so. Anyone remember that one?

I had a Hubley Remington style OU derringer like that.

popper
01-03-2014, 03:03 PM
Guess mine were the Nicole's version. Non-projectile. Spin em, quick draw, gamblers - practiced them all. Given away in the mid 50s. The little Jap derringers were the neatest - double bbl side by side stamped from Ike buttons. Think they were $0.10 or so, didn't last long before they got lost.

Hardcast416taylor
01-03-2014, 03:16 PM
I picked up this rig with holster way back then just because I thought it looked pretty neat to practice with and pass on to a son someday. The leather belt was never large enough for anybody in my family circle. The holster though is still in use today for use with my .22 Single Six. I always get remarks when people see the logo on the holster of Mattel Shootin` shell. The pistol finally wore out in the `60`s and was tossed. It was a neat training piece.Robert

runfiverun
01-04-2014, 11:24 PM
I had one of these too but don't remember the stick on caps.
it was probably a later version.[mid-60's]
I remember the weight was close to a real gun too.
those little plastic bullets would sure zoom out of the barrel and bounce around a bed room.