PDA

View Full Version : Gun facts from Pawn Stars

DLCTEX
01-01-2014, 10:41 PM
I have watched too much TV in the past two weeks while trapped at home with the shingles. One episode had a man bringing in a drilling to sell. It was a 16 GA. In two barrels and a 9.3X62 in the third barrel. Old Man said it's an elephant gun, Rick said it's not. They put up a caption that said elephant guns are usually larger than 50 caliber. Then Rick said that three barrels were rare because the were usually two barreled.I don't recall ever seeing a two barreled drilling, but have seen a number with three and a couple with four. Yes, I have been bored.

btroj
01-01-2014, 10:43 PM
Getting gun "facts" from TV is dangerous. I wouldn't trust those guys if they told me what their names were.

rondog
01-01-2014, 11:16 PM
I believe it's actually "dreiling", meaning three barrels in German. But I don't know for certain. My brother Dave has a beautiful one that his late FIL liberated from a farmhouse in Belgium during WWII. It's still in the canvas sack that it was hanging in on the back of a door in the farmhouse. Three barrels, two shot/one rifle.

And yeah, the "facts" on Pawn Stars are sometimes a little loose. On all the other shows too.

Love Life
01-01-2014, 11:19 PM
I heard a guy at the range today explain to his buddy that a .243 Winchester is a 308 necked down to 25 caliber....

Oh, and he also said that in the 30-06 family of cartridges, 35 Remington is his favorite.

seaboltm
01-01-2014, 11:22 PM
I believe it's actually "dreiling", meaning three barrels in German. But I don't know for certain. My brother Dave has a beautiful one that his late FIL liberated from a farmhouse in Belgium during WWII. It's still in the canvas sack that it was hanging in on the back of a door in the farmhouse. Three barrels, two shot/one rifle.

And yeah, the "facts" on Pawn Stars are sometimes a little loose. On all the other shows too.

Yep, dreiling or drilling is always three. More elephants have probably been dropped with 6.5x55, 7x57, 8x57, 303 British, 9.3x62 and 375H&H than all other cartridges in world combined, everyone of which is under 50 cal. Watch out for them "facts".

Catshooter
01-01-2014, 11:26 PM
It's TV. I don't believe in the tooth fairy or politicians either.

Cat

DRNurse1
01-01-2014, 11:27 PM
I heard the story of those Dreilings: one for small game, one for birds, and the rifle for larger game. Ingenious: hunting with one gun. I have not validated the information but it makes a good story regardless of accuracy.

Now, speaking of accuracy, how to arrange that clean kill with only one shot.....more practice, I suppose.

Love Life
01-01-2014, 11:28 PM
Drillings are great guns...

Ben
01-01-2014, 11:34 PM
The History Channel today isn't what it started as............

btroj
01-01-2014, 11:35 PM
True that Ben. I don't watch it much these days. Pawn stars is just a stupid show. I have no desire to watch it.

Reg
01-01-2014, 11:43 PM

Cat

A wise man has spoken.

Hardcast416taylor
01-01-2014, 11:59 PM
It`s a TV show! It is scripted by people that can`t make a PBJ sandwich without someone telling them how to do it. Robert

GOPHER SLAYER
01-02-2014, 12:16 AM
The German word for three is drei.

bhn22
01-02-2014, 12:17 AM
Reality TV isn't.

savagetactical
01-02-2014, 12:34 AM
Yep, dreiling or drilling is always three. More elephants have probably been dropped with 6.5x55, 7x57, 8x57, 303 British, 9.3x62 and 375H&H than all other cartridges in world combined, everyone of which is under 50 cal. Watch out for them "facts".

WDM Bell killed his 1011 elephants with a 7x57 or 275 Rigby if you prefer the English nomenclature. He preferred the 7x57 over other sporting calibers because of the poor quality of British ammunition save for military 303 ammunition. I believe that towards the end of his career as a professional hunter he stated that if he had it to do over again with a modern rifle it would have been the Model 70 in 308 Winchester with homogenous bullets.

MtGun44
01-02-2014, 12:37 AM
Ein, zwei, drei --- "dreiling" is basically like "triplet". Not going to be a two barrel gun.
Those are called 'Cape Guns'.

These guys know ZERO about guns.

Bill

Ben
01-02-2014, 01:30 AM
True that Ben. I don't watch it much these days. Pawn stars is just a stupid show. I have no desire to watch it.

People bring in stuff , they don't know what they have, they ask phenomenal prices for their items. The Pawn Shop owners don't really know what they have either but they go ahead and try to " steal " it anyway.

Why would you want to sit and watch that ? ?

waksupi
01-02-2014, 02:45 AM
On the other hand, the pay WAAAAAYYY too much for some things.

Oreo
01-02-2014, 02:47 AM
In these days of ebay, gun broker, and Craigslist, I cannot fathom why anyone would ever sell anything for below market value. Yet buying from people willing to do so is exactly the business pawn shops across the country are in.

Three44s
01-02-2014, 03:50 AM
I watch for "phoney scandals" and "bumps in the road" on a certain news channel that's not sugar coating much and Jr. to the lamestream media but then I can't stand it for long .........

The rest of it is just about all garbage! That pawn stuff got the boot in about a minute around here!

Sometimes, I'll try the sportsman TV channels. After about 600 deer getting an arrow thrown at them ........ I give up there as well.

Now a good predator calling enterprise is OK for a bit! But I can sit right on my deck and call them here ........ why imagine it when you can dial it right up ..... right close and personal?

Three 44s

KCSO
01-02-2014, 10:57 AM
This is the same show where their expert puts a patch over a round ball because it's to hold the ball down in the barrel! If you have a questionable gun you load it up and give it to Chum to fire? Did you really expect expert advise from TV?

Pb2au
01-02-2014, 11:03 AM

bhn22
01-02-2014, 11:06 AM
I gotta say it... Rick Harrison reminds me of Muttley from the old cartoon series

jcameron996
01-02-2014, 11:37 AM
It is what it is. I used to watch it, but it didn't take long for me to get tired of it. I was always astounded at the amount of money their "experts" cost them on antique guns. That was the most entertaining part of the whole show.

sparky45
01-02-2014, 11:47 AM
:

Cat
I believe in the Tooth Fairy, it's how I got extra spending money as a child. So don't tell me He's not real.:grin::grin:

RP
01-02-2014, 11:48 AM
I wonder why those experts just run right down to the pawn shop? Is it to be on TV and are they just their experts aka guy that sweeps up in the back and can talk a good game lol.

savagetactical
01-02-2014, 12:05 PM
In these days of ebay, gun broker, and Craigslist, I cannot fathom why anyone would ever sell anything for below market value. Yet buying from people willing to do so is exactly the business pawn shops across the country are in.

There are two good reasons why. First stuff never sells for market value hardly ever, secondly pawn shops offer fast cash when you can't wait for some to offer to buy. Also I'm assuming you have not dealt a whole lt with craigslist but selling stuff there is a gamble, you usually have to mark things way up because you know you will be haggled a lot just so you can get close to what you want, and you also have to deal with no shows and flakes who never go through or try to scam you. For that matter I have witnessd things set on gun broker for along time before it finally sells.

Those are just some reasons why pawn shops have been around for hundreds of years. No one forces anyone to do business in one, at one time I worked in a pawnshop and the man I worked for was pretty fair. He gave 60% of the value on purchases and a tad less on pawns. Only the dishonest creeps like the clowns on hardcore pawn rip people off. The pawn stars guys a lot of times give more than I would imagine they would,and sometimes they give a lot less. I am sure the show has a bearing in it.

bob208
01-02-2014, 03:09 PM
the 4 barrel guns were a different name also. I was told the 3 and 4 barrel guns were made to get around the laws that allowed you only one long gun.

savagetactical
01-02-2014, 03:11 PM
the 4 barrel guns were a different name also. I was told the 3 and 4 barrel guns were made to get around the laws that allowed you only one long gun.

The four barreled guns are Vierling.

jcwit
01-02-2014, 03:30 PM
Really like Pawn Shops.

Where else can one buy an authentic TAG Heuer Chronograph, fully working for $350.00 bucks.

Had it appraised for $1/2000.00 by a well known national jeweler.

Love Life
01-02-2014, 04:37 PM
Power tools are cheap in pawn shops as well. I've bought stuff and unloaded stuff at pawn shops. It's still upon you to research your item before you sell it. If you don't know what your item is and a an approximate value than it is on you if you get hosed.

I mean, come on!!! We have the internet so ignorance is NO excuse.

John Allen
01-02-2014, 04:39 PM
I heard a guy at the range today explain to his buddy that a .243 Winchester is a 308 necked down to 25 caliber....

Oh, and he also said that in the 30-06 family of cartridges, 35 Remington is his favorite.

I hope your eyes were rolling when you heard this.

onceabull
01-02-2014, 04:54 PM
The last discussion I had with pawn shop staff was regarding the value of one of their "for sale" firearms.. I had ,admittedly flippantly,offered"x" and when they came back with "X" x 1.25, acted incensed.. Took the fellow less than 5 Minutes of demo,to me the fact that I had purchased allsamee for "X' x 1.2 plus S/H and ffl transfer fees,within the past 30 days off Gunbroker..Best shop elsewhere if you intend to resell for bigbucks,,, Onceabull

Mod42
01-02-2014, 05:04 PM
Reading this thread reminds of why I got rid of my TV 5 years ago.....and have not missed it yet. Now when I see something on a TV show I can not believe how stupid it is.

jcwit
01-02-2014, 06:07 PM
Reading this thread reminds of why I got rid of my TV 5 years ago.....and have not missed it yet. Now when I see something on a TV show I can not believe how stupid it is.

Remember most shows on television are ment to be entertainment, even the news in todays world. I have time for entertainment and enjoy the same.

Kraschenbirn
01-02-2014, 07:51 PM
In my experience, the clowns on TV aren't typical examples of pawnshop guys. The fellow who owns the shop up the road from me is a pretty serious collector of U.S. militaria and definitely knows his milsurps. I've snagged a couple of decent pieces from his shop at less than 'gunshow' prices but he's a 'lowballer' when anyone brings something in they want to sell.

Bill

wv109323
01-02-2014, 08:45 PM
One episode of Pawn Stars a guy brought in a 1892 Winchester owned by "Cap" Hatfield with documentation. The only problem was the feud was over by 1890. Cap may have owned it at one time but it would have been impossible for him to have used it in the feud. From what I hear Cap probably turned a lot of money on Winchester rifles after the feud.

Cap'n Morgan
01-03-2014, 03:59 AM
While the German word for three is "drei", "Drilling" is the correct name for a three barreled gun. Here's a page which shows the configuration and names of a bunch of different barrel combinations.

http://www.hallowellco.com/german_combination_gun_names.htm

mrcvs
01-03-2014, 06:30 AM
Here is something I posted on another forum in October:

I had an episode of Pawn Stars on this evening and the seller presented a Winchester 1886 in .45-90 calibre, with a serial number dating the rifle from 1892. I immediately noted the end of the magazine tube lacked a slot, which seemed odd, and the stock had the appearance of being refinished with an extremely poor wood to metal fit. There was virtually no finish on the barrel and the case coloured receiver showed no evidence of the case colouring once there. The barrel was measured at 25", wich explains why the magazine tube cap seemed wrong - it had been shortened along with the barrel. The gun was appraised by the expert at $3,000 to $4,500 and the Old Man said he was only willing to pay what he did ($3,500) for it because of the 'rarity' of the calibre. Based on my impression of the gun, I would be hard-pressed to have given more that $2,000 for it at RETAIL due to the inherent problems with it. In any event, how 'rare' is .45-90? I didn't think it was all that rare at all. Of course not as common as .45-70 and .33 WCF, but surely not as rare as .38-70 and .40-70 calibres.

Also, for those of you who saw the episode, what would you have paid for the gun and what would you think it would bring at retail? With the problems noted above, in my opinion, assuming .45-90 isn't really that rare, as the show presumably mistakenly ascertains, I would think that $1500 to less than $2,000 is the MAXIMUM one should pay for this. If retail resale is the intent, $2,500 at resale. If the Old Man purchased it at $3,500 with resale intent, he has to make a decent profit on it, somehow.

Then again, I once went to a local auction with a Winchester 1886 in .40-82 with a serial number in the 9,000 range which, in my opinion, was a parts gun, as it had several problems, one of them being the fact that the stock on it had been created from a Kentucky Rifle or other similar stock. I was astounded to watch it go for $5,500, before comissions and tax...

smokeywolf
01-03-2014, 06:47 AM
I've enjoyed the Pawn Stars show. And some of the gun shop - gun customizing shows and a few of the other "reality" shows. I see them as light and easy entertainment and know that there is little reality contained in them.

smokeywolf

Col4570
01-03-2014, 07:22 AM
Yes lots of inaccuracies on TV.Once watched a Movie where a Farmhand murdered the land owner with a flintlock minus a flint.In the Movie Valdez is coming Burt Lancaster sees a rider a mile away,pulls the bullet from a round gets out a powder flask puts in more powder refits the Bullet and knocks him off his Horse using a Sharps Rifle.

bhn22
01-03-2014, 10:44 AM
Many scenes on "Pawn Stars" are staged, with multiple appearances by people who seem to be bit actors, or family friends. "Davey Deals" has appeared on Pawn Stars, Counting Cars, and American Restoration. I wonder who else is waiting in their group for their own show.

savagetactical
01-03-2014, 11:23 AM
Many scenes on "Pawn Stars" are staged, with multiple appearances by people who seem to be bit actors, or family friends. "Davey Deals" has appeared on Pawn Stars, Counting Cars, and American Restoration. I wonder who else is waiting in their group for their own show.

In one of the early episodes Rick Dale's brother showed up peddling a shot up coke machine to Rick Harrision who later later took it to Rick Dale to restore.

waksupi
01-03-2014, 11:57 AM
In one of the early episodes Rick Dale's brother showed up peddling a shot up coke machine to Rick Harrision who later later took it to Rick Dale to restore.

I was in the restoration business for 30 years. If I would have put out some of the work Dale does, I would have been out of business.

bhn22
01-03-2014, 12:04 PM
I don't understand the restoration part of it anyway. Coke machines were never clearcoated and buffed originally. Nor were pedal cars, BBQ grills, or anything else. Paint was a rather workman like protective coating that was primarily intended to prevent rust, and allow consumer identification from a distance. I feel the same way about chrome, and most graphics. Everything was originally functional. I often wonder what sort of perks the consumers get on these shows, when real people appear, that is. I imagine the work is free, with the production company picking up the tab.

FISH4BUGS
01-03-2014, 12:54 PM
Ditto....murdered my TV 25 years ago. Took it to the range and blasted four 32 round magazines from a S&W 76 subgun. Finished it off with a Serbu Super Shorty 20 ga. (Yes I cleaned up the mess and took it away).
My kids grew up without TV, videos or VCR's. They read a LOT!

missionary5155
01-03-2014, 01:23 PM
Greetings
So back to a question. Why 3 barrels ?
In many countries around the world there is extreme gun registration and heavy "fees" to own one. So if you have a bouble barrel shotgun with a heavy hitting rifle caliber barrel located in the lower center where the attached rifle sights on the upper rib will accurately launch that rifle cartridge projectile you only need to register and pay the yearly fee for one gun.
Right now here in Peru the best going deal are the "swap barrel" Baikals. One frame, many available barrels. One fee for the one frame, and lots of available calibers to pop away with.
Mike in Peru

montana_charlie
01-03-2014, 02:00 PM
Greetings
So back to a question. Why 3 barrels ?
The Germans don't 'hunt' the way we do.

When the game is deer or stag the 'hunter', accompanied by a forstmeister (game manager) sit in an elevated shooting house watching a baited feeder. The forstmeister knows the aminals in 'his herd' so intimately, he can probably predict which buck will be shot ... and at what time of day.

Otherwise, hunting is done using drivers.
A group of six to ten (wealthy) hunters will set up along a road spaced (perhaps) fifty yards apart.
A team of drivers will march through the forest, spooking all manner of game before them.

The individual hunter might be presented with shots at birds, rabbits, or larger animals ... possibly including boar.

That's where the drilling is the preferred weapon.

Considering the value of those guns, I used to realize that as I drove past a group of hunters spread out along the road, I also drove past the equivalent of my entire annual salary.

CM

EDIT ...
I had moved on to other sections of the forum when this thought occurred to me.

My comments above are very definite, and protray a confidence that may be unwarranted. While my memories of hunting in Germany are clear and factual, things may have changed.

I left Germany (for the last time) in 1976. Who knows what has happened since then ...

CM

DRNurse1
01-03-2014, 02:16 PM
The German word for three is drei.

Do they call the 4 barrel version a dreiling, too?

savagetactical
01-03-2014, 02:18 PM

It is as I posted earlier a Vierling

montana_charlie
01-03-2014, 03:33 PM
http://www.hallowellco.com/vierling.htm

376Steyr
01-03-2014, 06:07 PM
Pawn Stars does dispense good advice occassionally, such as "Don't use steel wool to take the patina off the Civil War-era revolver you're trying to sell." Plus I'm convinced that Chumley is actually a "performance artist" ala Andy Kaufman, and the joke is on us.

montana_charlie
01-03-2014, 08:22 PM
I agree that Chumley is probably a 'sleeper'.
If you could compare his IQ with the back stabbin' brother-sister team on that other pawn shop show ... the one in Chicago (or maybe Detroit ?) ... I bet he scores better than both of them combined.

TCFAN
01-03-2014, 08:27 PM
If I ever go to that pawn shop Chumley is the one I would want to meet to thank him for making the show worth watching........Terry

fouronesix
01-03-2014, 09:09 PM
Let's see..... Oil and Water, Mutually Exclusive, Oxymoronic, Facts and Pawn.... all about the same concept.

RogerDat
01-03-2014, 09:45 PM
Pawn Stars is sometimes interesting in that some odd objects turn up, things you would normally never see. There is some legit information mixed in on how things are valued in the market place, aka your great aunt told you it came from General Custer is not proof that it did, or why something is probably clearly a fake.

I also like American Pickers and Antique Road Show for the same general reason. They provide a little lite information and a chance to view products that I may never have heard of.

Once on Road Show a guy brought in a flint lock rifle and carved powder horn that had been in the family for generations. Turns out the makers mark was for a premier gun smith in colonial America, and rifle had been manufactured with engraving of owners name as was common with that gun smith for custom fire arms. It was the gun smiths name, in short his personal rifle, and powder horn had his initials. The appraiser said if you want to sell it I will offer you a number with a lot of zeros (I don't recall exact amount but a lot) at auction it might go as high as.... Guy said no it's a family piece, I'll just up my homeowners insurance.

Hardcore Pawn is in Detroit, I would not go there carrying a gun let alone to sell one or anything else of value. Only point to that show is to show viewers that there are others in this world who are bigger jerks/screw ups/idiots than me. And I guess my family is not all that bad after all (in comparison). Have never watched that show for much more than a few minutes and always thought there but for the grace of god....

WILDEBILL308
01-03-2014, 10:54 PM
All of the “reality” shows have very little reality to them. I have to laugh at American Pickers. Who do they sell this junk to at the unbelievable prices they claim to be getting?? I also laugh because they find someone who has good stuff like quality anteak toys in good shape and wants to sell for cheap prices they by one or two and leave. How are they kepping 2 shops open and 2 people in a van traveling on that little bit of business.
Some one earlier talked about dumb questions or stupid statements about guns needs to sit behind a table at a gun show. You will hear the most outrages things. Like “how many rounds does that double barrel hold?”
Yes I believe Chum is a actor who the told “we need some one to be the shop simpleton and it pays $$$$$$ just follow the script.”
Bill

bhn22
01-03-2014, 11:12 PM
http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/austin-chumlee-russell-net-worth/

savagetactical
01-04-2014, 12:14 AM
All of the “reality” shows have very little reality to them. I have to laugh at American Pickers. Who do they sell this junk to at the unbelievable prices they claim to be getting?? I also laugh because they find someone who has good stuff like quality anteak toys in good shape and wants to sell for cheap prices they by one or two and leave. How are they kepping 2 shops open and 2 people in a van traveling on that little bit of business.
Some one earlier talked about dumb questions or stupid statements about guns needs to sit behind a table at a gun show. You will hear the most outrages things. Like “how many rounds does that double barrel hold?”
Yes I believe Chum is a actor who the told “we need some one to be the shop simpleton and it pays $$$$$$ just follow the script.”
Bill

The pickers guys sell to businesses like restaurants. Wonder where all the junk comes from in places like baker street pub or joes crab shack ? Its those guys. They are not selling much to individuals.

starmac
01-04-2014, 04:15 AM
When I watched an episode of pawn stars, I don't watch a lot of tv. I decided that hollyweird had run out of ideas.

jcwit
01-04-2014, 07:20 AM
Bill

Bill, You would be amazed at the money to be made in the antique and flea market business, take it from someone who's wife spent 20 years in it with her own business. We sold merchandise world wide.

BTW we're both happily retired now, we retired in our 50's.

And it isn't just "behind" the table one hears outrages things. I remember a couple of years ago a dealer telling me the Armscor 1911 45's were being made in the Philippines from CNC equipment left there by Colt after WW2. Had no idea CNC equipment was a major factor back in the early 1940's.

Fyodor
01-04-2014, 07:42 AM
I believe it's actually "dreiling", meaning three barrels in German.

It's called "Drilling". "Drei" means three, but still it's called "Drilling" (spelled with a capital D in German).

These funds have been very popular in the 20th century, because you could hunt everything with just one gun. But more accidents happened with Drillings than with all other weapons combined, because they have too many "handles", very sensitive triggers and a crappy safety that only blocks the trigger itself.

Lead Fred
01-04-2014, 07:46 AM
If you get your gun facts from TV, I hope you never watch the A team

Dale in Louisiana
01-04-2014, 01:49 PM
I gave up a looooong time ago. I remember when (the call of old f*rts everywhere) when Discovery Channel let you 'discover', History Channel had actual 'history', and you could learn something on The Learning Channel.

I gave up on Discovery after episode after episode of those guys in California turning motorcycles into something that looked like the hood ornament on Elton John's Mercedes.

When they quit calling it The Learning Channel and went with TLC the the shows started being about spoilt kids and spoilt brides and cr*p, and History Channel picked up 'Pickers' and 'Pawn Stars' and garbage of that ilk...

I'm glad I have a room full of guns and casting and hand-loading equipment to entertain myself because darned sure can't depend on TV to do it.

dale in Louisiana

rondog
01-04-2014, 02:19 PM
I have the opinion that on American Pickers, when they visit someone with tons of stuff for sale, buy a few things, then drive off into the sunset.... I'd betcha that after the drive-away scene, the camera crew packs up and then the REAL dealing comes out.

Those guys make big livings dealing in old stuff, I don't believe they'd drive away from an entire estate with only 6 items in the van. I believe that they make deals with people to take EVERYTHING on the property, trash and all, for one price. The sellers end up with a fat check, cleaned property, and no headache, and The Boys end up with tonnage of sellable stuff. Even if it's just scrap metal, it has value.

And as far as who do they sell to - ever been in any antique shops? A Cracker Barrel restaurant? A TGIFriday's? And countless others. And yes, individuals DO pay big bucks for old stuff to display. How many of us here have old things on a shelf?

starmac
01-04-2014, 02:41 PM
I like old stuff, Winchesters,savages, remingtons, herters, hollywoods, etc. lol

savagetactical
01-04-2014, 03:11 PM
I have the opinion that on American Pickers, when they visit someone with tons of stuff for sale, buy a few things, then drive off into the sunset.... I'd betcha that after the drive-away scene, the camera crew packs up and then the REAL dealing comes out.

Absolutely... I have told many people this, the show is a very very tiny amount of what those guys are doing.

marvelshooter
01-04-2014, 03:31 PM
I have the opinion that on American Pickers, when they visit someone with tons of stuff for sale, buy a few things, then drive off into the sunset....
I absolutely refuse to watch this show after an episode where they went to Daytona Beach Florida and talked a bar owner out of a neon sign he really didn't want to sell. After he agreed to sell and named a price the short fat one started beating him down on the price because of the risk of damage during shipping back to whatever rock they crawled out from under.

snuffy
01-04-2014, 04:49 PM
I have to admit to watching some of the so-called reality shows. Just for the entertainment. Pawn stars, American pickers, American restoration, and Counting cars are all recorded on my DVR.

I take ALL the content with the proverbial grain of salt. Sometimes the entire salt shaker is needed!:coffeecom

Pawn stars; Chum-lee is certainly an accomplished actor. He nails the stoopid look dead on. Somebody spends a lot of time writing his comments. Most of the situations are staged. The old man may look dumb and like he does nothing but drink coffee and take naps, but he is really sharp. Funny that grandma never shows up. We find out that Rick has been married multiple times, just got remarried again. Rick has had a hangover sometimes on the show, perhaps he should get off the sauce!

American pickers; I always knew that they don't just take the few items they featured on the show. Also they seldom pay even close to what they say they do on those chosen items. They simply could not make a living unless they buy for half what they end up getting. Those "picks" are set up well in advance, I'm sure a scouting team runs ahead of them, then makes it look like the tattooed lady "Danny" is doing her job. Knocking on some doors "out of the blue" will get you shot at in some places. So-called free style picking.

American restoration; I fail to see how Rick makes a living. The rent for that building must be close to one mil a year. And all that floor space with no overhead hoists! His idiot brother alone can't be earning his keep . His two tone kid will never be able to run his business.

Counting cars; The count is a hippy with Jesus as his co-pilot. Seems to be a nice guy, but is he making any money? We're supposed to believe he keeps some of the cars he restores for himself, he must be raking in a bunch of $$$ to do that. Horny Mike is a true artist with the air brush. Hard to tell from a TV picture, but it LOOKS like he does pretty good work. For what they're paying, it better be good!

One exception to the reality genre, is Survivor man. I really enjoy this show, he does it all by himself. Of course one thing in his backpack that does not get talked about is his satellite phone. He has a support group to holler out to for help if he did NOT find food, water and be able to get a fire started. They would bail him out by whatever rescue method needed.

Bear Grylis is laughable. I stopped watching after he did some stunts that could have got him killed. I think his camera crew is in worse danger just getting the shots.

Love Life
01-04-2014, 05:50 PM
It's called "Drilling". "Drei" means three, but still it's called "Drilling" (spelled with a capital D in German).

These funds have been very popular in the 20th century, because you could hunt everything with just one gun. But more accidents happened with Drillings than with all other weapons combined, because they have too many "handles", very sensitive triggers and a crappy safety that only blocks the trigger itself.

I've never seemed to have an issue. Quite easy to use actually.

jcwit
01-04-2014, 06:23 PM
I absolutely refuse to watch this show after an episode where they went to Dayton Beach Florida and talked a bar owner out of a neon sign he really didn't want to sell. After he agreed to sell and named a price the short fat one started beating him down on the price because of the risk of damage during shipping back to whatever rock they crawled out from under.

Never worked for an RV Company as a Procurement Officer have you?

marvelshooter
01-04-2014, 07:27 PM
Never worked for an RV Company as a Procurement Officer have you?
No I never have.

jcwit
01-04-2014, 07:47 PM
No I never have.

Believe me then there is nothing wrong with hammering the price down to your or the companies advantage. There were times I even got the price down to where the seller was losing money for everything he sold to the company, but I had a written contract in hand.

GOPHER SLAYER
01-04-2014, 08:00 PM
A friend of mine who lives in a nearby town was approached by the producers of American Pickers. He has a collection of old motor cycles and a large supply of old parts. They wanted to come to his shop and stage a pick. He didn't just say no, he said H--- No. He has since sold many of the parts on E-Bay. They offered to pay him just for the staged pick whether he sold anything or not.

starmac
01-04-2014, 08:01 PM
I haven't watched the show and probably won't, but if someone talked me into selling something I didn't want to sell, it would be on my terms and the price would do nothing but go up if any haggling started. If the item was for sale it might be different.
I do realize this is tv though, and way more entertainment than anything factual. lol

I don't know how they do all of the so called reality shows, but suspect they are all similar. I was in the same places they filmed a lot of the ice road show, some of which was even in town in empty parking lots at night, or other locations having nothing to do with the haul road, but they claimed for every hour they aired, they averaged 300 hours filming.

smokeywolf
01-04-2014, 08:08 PM
Believe me then there is nothing wrong with hammering the price down to your or the companies advantage. There were times I even got the price down to where the seller was losing money for everything he sold to the company, but I had a written contract in hand.

Was purchasing manager for MGM (Metrocolor) Film Laboratories for 2 years. If you're not negotiating the best prices and terms for your company, you're not doing your job and they should can you and find someone who, keeping legalities and ethics intact, will put the company's bottom line above all else.

smokeywolf

WilliamDahl
01-04-2014, 08:51 PM
Rick dropped out of high school in the 10th grade and his father ("The Old Man") dropped out in the 11th grade. All in all, they've done pretty good for themselves considering the fact that they are a bunch of high school dropouts. This is definitely not the norm since most high school dropouts probably just end up in minimum wage jobs for the rest of their lives.

marvelshooter
01-04-2014, 09:07 PM

Was purchasing manager for MGM (Metrocolor) Film Laboratories for 2 years. If you're not negotiating the best prices and terms for your company, you're not doing your job and they should can you and find someone who, keeping legalities and ethics intact, will put the company's bottom line above all else.

smokeywolf
I agree with both of you when we are talking about a person or company that has something they want to sell. The club owner I mentioned really didn't want to sell the sign in the first place. The pickers kept after him to sell them "something" so their trip wouldn't be a bust. As soon as he agreed they started hammering him on the price. I am well aware the show is scripted and the seller could have refused.

AK Caster
01-04-2014, 09:11 PM

On the flip side, beating down people in price is no different than people trying to sell .22 ammo for as much as they can get for it.

jcwit
01-04-2014, 09:52 PM
On the flip side, beating down people in price is no different than people trying to sell .22 ammo for as much as they can get for it.

Not really, I was getting paid for it by the company, and very well I might add.

The company was the benefactor. Further more it was not part of an underground economy.

WILDEBILL308
01-04-2014, 10:00 PM
Bill, You would be amazed at the money to be made in the antique and flea market business, take it from someone who's wife spent 20 years in it with her own business. We sold merchandise world wide.

BTW we're both happily retired now, we retired in our 50's.

And it isn't just "behind" the table one hears outrages things. I remember a couple of years ago a dealer telling me the Armscor 1911 45's were being made in the Philippines from CNC equipment left there by Colt after WW2. Had no idea CNC equipment was a major factor back in the early 1940's.
I know you can make money but tell me how these guys are making money buying own or two things. If you have a motivated seller buy all you can.
Strange you didn't know about the secret Colt factory that had cnc machines they got from a downed UFO.
Bill

jcwit
01-05-2014, 11:15 AM
So that's how they got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good to find out the explanation.

TXGunNut
01-05-2014, 01:05 PM
"Reality" TV is one reason that I no longer watch TV but must admit I watched Pawn Stars and Pickers for the entertainment. Many deals are indeed staged. I've heard that on Pickers the production crew is of course in another truck, also that the stars fly to distant "picks". They also borrow interesting items for the stars to "buy" on the show. Ever wonder why you never see packing material or even a small duffel with a change of clothes in the back of that van?
Secret to reality TV is that it's relatively cheap to make. No salaries to big name actors or expensive locations, at least at first.

bhn22
01-05-2014, 01:09 PM
And free advertising, and an unlimited supply of suckers for the "stars".

LynC2
01-05-2014, 05:31 PM
I admit I have watched the show off & on, but only when they have some historical document or firearm advertised. Personally I get that queasy feeling that someone is about to get screwed everytime they make an offer to buy. :???:

jcwit
01-05-2014, 05:40 PM
No one forces them to sell said item, and this is one reason Pawn Shops are such a good place to find bargains.

opos
01-05-2014, 05:43 PM
I like Rebecca....the rare gun expert...she could sell me a readers digest for a huge amount of money

LynC2
01-05-2014, 06:07 PM
No one forces them to sell said item, and this is one reason Pawn Shops are such a good place to find bargains.

Very true; however that doesn't change my feelings on the matter. Then again I agree with P.T. Barnum's old saying: "There's a sucker born every minute"!