PDA

View Full Version : painting boolits?

mozeppa
01-01-2014, 09:09 PM
i'd like a definite answer....

do i need to lube painted boolits?

since i'm on the subject....

i have about 2 gallons of epoxy paint that i used on my garage floor. (value = $210.00)
it has to be mixed together and let to "sweat" for a half hour before using.

can i use this?

after tumble coating i can cure in a toaster oven i have.

would this be acceptable to use?

i only mention price so not to confuse cheap paint with this stuff ...on my floor its tuffer than nails!

jmort
01-01-2014, 09:19 PM
No
Yes
Yes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiFxAPtx4c0

bangerjim
01-01-2014, 11:45 PM
"painting" things is to give them a pleasing color.

We do no paint boolits for color. The coatings we use (preferably powder coating) are an integral engineered part of the function of a lead boolit traveling down a steel rifled barrel. Just like grease lubes of old, it is part of the function of lubrication and leading prevention.

I use ONLY electrostatic gun applied powder coatings. I have tried epoxy paints and they will not stick well enough during my testing. (put the coated boolit nose up on a heavy steel plate and pound it flat with a 3# steel hammer. If the coating does not flake and come off, it passes) PC is hard and ready in 10 minutes of baking. All epoxies I have experimented with took days and days of drying AFTER baking to even come close to the hard texture of PC.

The problems with applying any coating via tumbling is it is not applied evenly and will lead to clumping and unbalance boolits and shooting inaccuracies. I have seen this from my own testing and the info posted by others on here. I do NOT recommend epoxy paint slopped on. You can try spraying it on with an air sprayer, but that leads to clean-up hassles!

I do not like the finish quality of coating provided by any kind of liquid slopping methods...I have tried them.

If you want to experiment with epoxy, get a can of VHT high temp engine epoxy in a spray can at a auto supply store. It has been tried here before. Check the search engine.

Save your floor paint for your floor. :grin:

bangerjim

prickett
01-02-2014, 10:31 AM
I've used epoxy paint (Klass Kote) and found them VERY hard. It is a very viable coating. Accuracy was on par with all other coating, and it prevented any leading.

I don't use it now due to the mess it makes as compared to dry tumbling with powder coat.

If you find a process that avoids the mess (or you don't care), then by all means, go for it!

jmort
01-02-2014, 11:37 AM
Many using two part epoxy floor paint, including Klas Kote as noted. That some failed is not a problem with the product. Check out the video link I provided.

sly mantis
01-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Im using epoxy floor paint to coat my bullets. Ive had amazing success with it. Zero leading, great accuracy and no smoke from shooting lead. Shot over 1000 rounds of these through my XDM with no cleaning what so ever. Stripped it apart the barrel was clean.

iroquois
01-09-2014, 03:11 AM
Has anyone tried Eastwood 2k epoxy primer with one of the following lube powders?
.5 micron HBN
.5 micron mos2
.5 micron PTFE

I'm thinking about trying this over the weekend.

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-2k-aero-spray-epoxy-primer-gray.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O-Ol2OmZxg

prickett
01-09-2014, 10:00 AM
I've not tried the paint mentioned, but with regards to the lube powders - most people who have tried various epoxy paints have come to the conclusion that its inclusion is not necessary (i.e. they see no difference between using it and not using it).

jmort
01-09-2014, 10:24 AM
I agree, I'd go with straight epoxy paint. It do work as is.