PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 314200 for hunting

milsurpcollector1970
01-01-2014, 08:37 PM
I was thinking about hunting next year with boolits. I was going to the above boolit. Of course its pointed. I was thinking about cutting a little flat on top of the boolit. I have a lathe so I can make a smooth lflat cut.

I still need it to cycle through an AR. How big does the metplate need to be?

Pilgrim
01-01-2014, 10:01 PM
If you already have that boolit mould, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. If you don't have that mould, and hunting is your plan...don't buy that mould. There are quite a few good boolit moulds with good meplats that would make a better hunting boolit, plus a LOT less fooling around with the boolit after its' cast. Lyman and RCBS make good off the shelf moulds that should meet your needs, if not there are a number of custom mould makers that will build one exactly to your specs, that will cast to your desired diameter with your alloy, and will cut a GC heel for the gc you specify, if you plan on velocities much above 1300 - 1400 fps FWIW...Pilgrim

mac266
01-02-2014, 11:34 AM
^^^ What he said. Even if you already have the mould, consider buying another one. You wouldn't even have to buy the sizing die, just the correct top punch.

Oh, and it's "meplat."

Wayne Smith
01-02-2014, 11:41 AM
And you need to slug your barrel and measure accurately with a micrometer to size correctly. If you don't in a gas gun you will fill up the gas tube with lead. If you have a good fitting boolit this may not happen.
Realize that casting for rifles is college level education of casting, casting for a gas gun is graduate level. I would never start there.

Larry Gibson
01-02-2014, 11:46 AM
A Forster 1/8" HP tool can easily cup or HP those cast bullets for hunting. Easy to do with loaded round on the case trimmer. Here's what they look like loaded in 7.62x54R.

Larry Gibson

milsurpcollector1970
01-04-2014, 07:54 PM
Did a chamber cast today with some cerrosafe I have a throat that measures .310 and a bore of .309. I was thinking about having a mold made by accurate.

Can anyone reccommend a design for hunting that will work in the ar