PDA

View Full Version : Learned last year

btroj
01-01-2014, 11:38 AM
What was the single thing you learned in 2013 regarding lead bullet casting, lubing, or shooting?

Did you have an epiphany of some sort?

I learned way more about lubricarion a nd greases than I ever wanted to. I learned that pressure can cause a grease to break down, it tends to leave a nasty residue in the bore. I learned that some lubes work great in a handgun but not in a rifle.

Most important thing I learned is that there isn't anyplace else online like this place. Some of the guys here are like freinds and family to me and I value that.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-01-2014, 12:02 PM
I Learned I need to listen more and talk less. In my ongoing quest to cast better, I tend to 'talk' too much. Most of my non-reloading friends could care less...and my reloading/non-casting friends just have free $$$ projectiles in their eyes. BUT most of all, this year, I've learned that it's better for your friends to shoot factory ammo, if they don't want to load their own.

The most frustrating discussions I have, is seemingly repeating itself. Everyone I know, who thinks they know the main reason why a gun barrel will get Lead fouled from shooting cast boolits, has a different reason...and different then mine (fit). It gives me fits, I tell ya

Bzcraig
01-01-2014, 12:38 PM
I learned I still have way more to learn than I thought would be possible. The number of variables that go into finding the best load for any particular gun are many and each gun is an enigma of its own. And I haven't even loaded my first rifle round.

bhl2506
01-01-2014, 04:23 PM
I learned after a 25 yr lull from casting that I didn't know jack squat about casting. I joined here a few years ago for the gunsmithing section, but then I thought to myself look at the rest of the forum you just might learn something. Boy was I right!! Still learn something every time I come here. The people here are friendly and very helpful.
I'm not a very chatty person on forums so I don't post hardly at all. I find that there is so much info here that just reading post and stickies takes up a lot more time than I realize.

ffries61
01-01-2014, 04:34 PM
Best thing I learned here, is about pre heating molds on a hot plate, I love having keepers from first drop !!

Fred

brotherdarrell
01-01-2014, 09:12 PM
After over 5 years of refusing to listen I finally came to realize that Bullplate lube IS the cats pajamas. It takes longer for some of us smart guys.

Darrell

beezapilot
01-01-2014, 09:51 PM
Different shape ingot molds when smelting- Lyman for general lead, round muffin tin for wheel weights, rcbs for pewter,

ultramag
01-01-2014, 09:52 PM
I learned that even after years of reloading taking up casting my own will change the way I do almost everything. It has been changes for the better IMO. A close runner-up would be that most everything I've heard about shooting cast before was wrong.

KYCaster
01-01-2014, 10:48 PM
Cu in your alloy can make a huge difference.......but I don't yet know what to do with the information.

Jerry

Mk42gunner
01-01-2014, 11:03 PM
I learned that marking ingots just after the they freeze is easier than waiting until they are fully cooled.

I use angle iron ingot molds and marked this years production by stamping block letters with an old screwdriver; P for pure(ish) lead, WW for wheelweights, L for lino type. If I ever manage to make a binary alloy, it will be marked as 20-1, 30-1, etc..

The big letters (somewhere around an inch) are a lot easier to read than the ones I marked with a set of 1/16" letter stamps.

Robert

nitro570
01-01-2014, 11:26 PM
I learned after a 25 yr lull from casting that I didn't know jack squat about casting. I joined here a few years ago for the gunsmithing section, but then I thought to myself look at the rest of the forum you just might learn something. Boy was I right!! Still learn something every time I come here. The people here are friendly and very helpful.
I'm not a very chatty person on forums so I don't post hardly at all. I find that there is so much info here that just reading post and stickies takes up a lot more time than I realize.
I`m with you brother I try to read everything and learn as much as possible,don`t post much but have learned so much thanks to all.

MT Gianni
01-02-2014, 12:20 AM
I learned that marking ingots just after the they freeze is easier than waiting until they are fully cooled.

I use angle iron ingot molds and marked this years production by stamping block letters with an old screwdriver; P for pure(ish) lead, WW for wheelweights, L for lino type. If I ever manage to make a binary alloy, it will be marked as 20-1, 30-1, etc..

The big letters (somewhere around an inch) are a lot easier to read than the ones I marked with a set of 1/16" letter stamps.

Robert

Molly taught me that a permanent, Sharpie type marker was the easiest way to mark ingots. It beat scratching WW with the side of a screwdriver blade. 13 taught me a lesson regarding 50-50 alloy and expansion. I am still thinking on how best to apply it.

btroj
01-02-2014, 12:24 AM
I just use different bins for different alloys. A 30 gallon Rubbermaid tub holds a bunch of lead. Make sure it is where you want it before filling it.

km101
01-02-2014, 06:03 PM
I learned that despite what I have been told in the past:
A. you don't have to smoke molds to get good release.
B. More tin does not always mean better fill-out.
C. You can get an answer to anything casting related here!

RED333
01-02-2014, 07:55 PM
I learned about this site, nuff said.

wv109323
01-02-2014, 08:30 PM
I learned that I need to run my brass molds hotter than my iron molds.
I learned that I could not get a Lee 240SWC to shoot out of my Marlin .44 Mag.(gave up when everything else but my cast shot well)
I learned to get the best accuracy out of a .38 Special with 158 SWC that I needed to up the velocity to around 840 FPS.
I learned not to go to Walmart to but .22LR ammo.

EMC45
01-03-2014, 01:02 PM
A goose neck reading lamp pointed at my sizer is just perfect for my Lyman 45 and 4500 to get my homemade BW/Moly lube to flow.

Smoke4320
01-03-2014, 01:06 PM
that the castboolits forum opened my eyes to a whole new way of thinking about shooting and bullet construction. That its a great bunch of guys and a few girls here, and if you need to know something ask !!!
wow what a run on thought :)

Freightman
01-03-2014, 01:09 PM
Learned I can't dig lead anymore without back hurting. Learned grease lube or wax or LLA not necessary that there is a alternative. Learned that chat is a lot of fun. Learned that 99.999% on this board are the good guys.

Jal5
01-03-2014, 01:39 PM
I learn something every time I go on this site!
Learned that I have a lot of experimenting to do with my ML and boolits and shouldn't be satisfied with my experiences with PB bullet even if I have killed a bunch of deer with them.
Learned that there are some great people on this forum and thanks to all of you folks!
Joe

Pb2au
01-03-2014, 01:43 PM
I have learned, or more accurately am still learning;
1) chamber/throat fit bullet shape relationships and their effect on accuracy
2) had revelation on the effect of the amount a given case is filled with a given powder and its effect on accuracy
3) The ongoing never ending interesting subject of bullet RPM.
4) currently in full on learn mode about reforming cases.

JWFilips
01-03-2014, 01:52 PM
What was the single thing you learned in 2013 regarding lead bullet casting, lubing, or shooting?

Did you have an epiphany of some sort?

I learned way more about lubricarion a nd greases than I ever wanted to. I learned that pressure can cause a grease to break down, it tends to leave a nasty residue in the bore. I learned that some lubes work great in a handgun but not in a rifle.

Most important thing I learned is that there isn't anyplace else online like this place. Some of the guys here are like freinds and family to me and I value that.

Well 2013: I learned How to cast boolits, how to make lube, and how to shoot handguns better with that knowledge!
All with the help of the great folks on this forum! I love it here with all the friendly knowledgeable folks....yes this is the best place to be! To quote Dorothy...."There is no place like Home"!

DRNurse1
01-03-2014, 02:57 PM
Well: I had a boolit/ powder/ primer combination that did what I needed. Then I found this place where all manner of casting knowledge resides and is discussed. I have tried some of this stuff and found I can make my cartridge behave even better. Now I can create loads for all of my calibers (except 22LR rimfire, drats) better than I can buy and applying some of this new knowledge.

So, my greatest learning this year is to thank all those here who make all these things possibe: Thanks Cast Boolits forum members and moderators.

BNE
01-03-2014, 11:15 PM
Well I started casting this year, so I learned a few things. In no particular order....

1) Look for lead everywhere. Ask anybody you think has acces to it.

2) I've gained a sudden interest in dutch ovens and kitchen utensils. A Stainless Oneida gravy scoop holds slightly over a pound of lead. A small loaf bread pan tin makes a great 4 pound rectangular ingot.

3) I have learned that I knew nothing about what a good alloy mix was year ago.

4) I HATE LUBING! I've tried mixing waxxes. Then Alox and now Hi-Tek. Hi-Tek beats the others by far.

5) I've learned to look at this site before I try something. It has saved me tons of frustration and more than a few a few dollars.

6) I've learned that there are a few opinions on this site about fluxxing, powder, politics and well, just about everything else.

7) GoodSteel loves Gollum.

8) Just recently I learned the importance of squeezing the mold handles while pouring. It keeps the boolit size correct. Of course this means I through several casting sessions back into the pot.

I have learned I have lots to learn. I am still confused about many things, but I feel I am confused on a higher level and about more important things.

Thanks folks.

myg30
01-04-2014, 12:22 PM
I learned that my eyes are not in sinc with my brain. I plainly READ, HEAT LUBE "Slowly ON LOW HEAT", as I boiled the mix !
I learned my memory Stinks so I re-read here often !

I've learned all the posts above pertain to me too so we all have a lot in common !

Happy Safe New Year to ALL !!

Mike