PDA

View Full Version : Dillon SDB case feeder?

Valerko
12-30-2013, 09:20 PM
I did find some posts of somebody making custom case feeder for SDB ,
but was curious if anybody adopted actuall case feeder form another press , like LEE ?

jmorris
12-30-2013, 11:05 PM
I kluged one together one afternoon just to prove it could be done.

Here is a video of it.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/SDcasefeed/th_MOV02172.jpg (http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/SDcasefeed/MOV02172.mp4)

I would still suggest getting a 650. Then you can have case and bullet feed.

Walter Laich
12-31-2013, 10:27 AM
always amazed you guys can figure things like this out. Way above my pay grade

Valerko
12-31-2013, 04:58 PM
I've seen that one jmorris, impressive. But kind of out of my capabilities , unless you wanna make one for me ?:):)
Was hoping somebody adopted existing one.

jmorris
12-31-2013, 05:13 PM
That one is the only one I have ever seen, guess I win the "too much time on the hands" award.

The reason why is likely because if you made one for sale that wasn't cobbled together and worked for all of the calibers the SD can load, with a collator they would cost almost as much as the machine. Then it would be much more obvious why I suggested the 650.

HATCH
12-31-2013, 05:26 PM
The SDB is a awesome machine but it does have its limitation.
I sold all my SDB's (had 3 of them) and got a 650 with a cast feeder.
Unless you build something yourself you are not gonna find it. As Morris said above the case collator will cost you $200 or more alone.

Valerko
01-01-2014, 08:00 PM
That's pretty much what I'm thinking , getting something with the casefeeder. Either 650 or go LNL way. Hmmmmm:)

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-02-2014, 02:02 AM
Valerko,

You might also want to think bullet feeders vs. case feeders. I've owned several progressive over the years and depending on how the press is fed brass and bullets (which hand is used), I've found a case feeder is much less necessary to me than a bullet feeder. Bullet feeders can also be implemented fairly easily on some of the presses. You also want to consider the size of the cases and bullets, the calibers loaded, etc. The harder the brass/bullets are for you to hold and handle, the more you'll want case and bullet feeders. The less ergonomic the press operation, the more you want a case and bullet feeder.

The 650 comes with the case feeder base and the tube with it holds about a hundred cases if memory serves (been a while back in the past now). The Hornady LnL and the RCBS Pro 2000 automatic advance allow you to feed both brass and bullets with your left hand while the right operates the press with the handle. If you place your brass bins ergonomically and use a bullet feeder, you may find you don't need the case feeder for the volume you are reloading and can avoid some of the expense. (I did, I only use a bullet feeder when loading extremely high volume cartridges where I'm loading quantities in the thousands, not hundreds.)

The Hornady LnL doesn't come with a case feeder on the base model and the case feeder is expensive and can be kind of kludgey. The RCBS Pro 2000 doesn't come with a case feeder and doesn't have, to my knowledge, the option to add one. But it's very ergonomic, operation is simple and extremely reliable (If set up correctly and adjusted properly.) and I've not found a need for a case feeder on mine.

A lot of things depend entirely on you. If maximum speed is and minimum time investment is your goal, then the case feeders/bullet feeders can do that. But be aware they do add complexity to your operation and require maintenance, cleaning and adjustment/monitoring to operate smoothly. There is no free lunch when it comes to machines. They are all man made and do have flaws or just plain ole headaches.

My personal experience and current application of reloading for volume calibers is to set up a highly reliable machine in that caliber, then load on it during commercials. This reduces my stress and minimizes the time I'm away from my wife at night when I do my reloading. During the show, I stop reloading and watch the show with my wife.

I know that's a lot of information I'd just thrown at you, but think about how you do things, what you're really wanting to do and how you want to enjoy it before spending the money on presses/case feeders/bullet feeders. You do that and you'll end up closer to happy. For me, when I thought those things through after reloading for ten years, I got rid of my case feeder, got a simpler, rugged and reliable press, used a mixed batch of dies, powder measures, manufacturer's to get the setup I wanted for each caliber I wanted to reload, keeping in mind how much I shoot in that caliber. I ended up loading extremely good cartridges with minimal "felt" effort with maximum quality experience and pleasure reloading. Doesn't get any better than that.

jmorris
01-02-2014, 11:23 AM
You might also want to think bullet feeders vs. case feeders.

That is why I suggested the 650 in the 2nd post. You don't have to add all of the features at one time but with the 650 you can have case feed, bullet feed and a powder check die, all while keeping bullet seating and crimp in two operations. The only other press you can do that with is the 1050.

This is a video of one of my old 650's loading 45 acp.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/bullet%20feeder/th_VID_20130305_152550_802_zps7819706b.jpg (http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/bullet%20feeder/VID_20130305_152550_802_zps7819706b.mp4)

Lloyd Smale
01-03-2014, 07:37 AM
A good running square deal will load as fast as a 650 with a case feeder. My buddy and i proved it one day. Keep in mind that a square deal has a much shorter stroke and takes alot less handle movement compared to a 650 and that more then makes up for the time it takes to feed it.

6bg6ga
01-03-2014, 08:00 AM
And pigs fly if you put a jet engine on their back.

6bg6ga
01-03-2014, 08:07 AM
That is why I suggested the 650 in the 2nd post. You don't have to add all of the features at one time but with the 650 you can have case feed, bullet feed and a powder check die, all while keeping bullet seating and crimp in two operations. The only other press you can do that with is the 1050.

This is a video of one of my old 650's loading 45 acp.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/bullet%20feeder/th_VID_20130305_152550_802_zps7819706b.jpg (http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/bullet%20feeder/VID_20130305_152550_802_zps7819706b.mp4)

Looks like your doing about 20 @ minute which equates to a heck of a lot of ammunition in a hrs time. I used to own a SD Dillon Press and with one person feeding cases and me feeding the bullet there was still no way a SD is going to come close to running with the big dogs.

Great video as always

6bg6ga
01-03-2014, 08:11 AM
I can average 15 a minute with my home made collator and my bullet tube bullet dropper. Still faster than a SD will run.

jmorris
01-03-2014, 11:18 AM
Looks like your doing about 20 @ minute which equates to a heck of a lot of ammunition in a hrs time. I used to own a SD Dillon Press and with one person feeding cases and me feeding the bullet there was still no way a SD is going to come close to running with the big dogs.

Great video as always

If I am not holding a video camera to capture the action 100 rounds in 3.5 min is about what I ran with that machine.