PDA

View Full Version : Lee 452-230-TC Six Cavity

Johnch
11-28-2007, 10:02 PM
Anyone use a 6 gang mould of this design ?

What di dose it drop from WW or a softer aloy , as I normaly will run straight range lead ?

Dose it have a BB or flat base ? as I have seen pic's that show it both ways

Any feeding problems ?

I was planning on using it on bowling pin's and as a general plinking bullet

John

Ricochet
11-28-2007, 10:56 PM
I've got it. It's a bevel base. I've just cast mine out of soft mixed scrap lead (not range scrap), and got 240 grain boolits about .452". They function and shoot well in my Government Model.

trickyasafox
11-28-2007, 11:40 PM
I have one- I honestly forget what they weigh from WW- but I know they are a bit heavy. mine cast just over .452

edited: after reading ricochet's second post

mine is single lube groove.

Ricochet
11-28-2007, 11:44 PM
Mine is the tumble lube version, BTW. May be a bit different from the deep grooved variety.

Bob Jones
11-29-2007, 01:55 AM
I've got one of those and have shot many 1000's of them. I have a 5 gallon bucket full in the shop waiting to be lubed at the moment.

They're accurate, feed great, easy to load with a slight bevel base. No leading at all even when I shoot several hundred at a session. I cast them out of range scrap, load them over 3.9 - 4 grains of straight Clays. Nice shooting load for range work.

flinchnjerk
11-29-2007, 03:27 AM
I have both the T/L and conventional styles. Great bowling pin bullet. C.O.A.L of 1.210 feeds flawlessly in all of the dozen or so 1911s in which it's been tried.
A cautionary note ( this applies to all Lee molds, but it was with this particular mold - actually, one of a pair - that I received a sad lesson) : check the diameter of the bullet that your mold's dropping at the START of your six hour casting session - not at the end.

94Doug
11-29-2007, 12:50 PM
.... And don't forget to check out the Group Buy that is going on for the .45 RN boolit.
It may be JUST what you are looking for!!

DanM
11-29-2007, 02:57 PM
They will slam the pins! At 850fps the pins just fly off the table. The flat meplat seems to catch on the pin better than a RN when hit off center. Serious pin killer.

lathesmith
11-29-2007, 06:36 PM
My Lee six-cavity mold drops 'em at about 237 grains, .453. It seems to be a decent shooting boolit, and the single lube groove works well with the Star sizer. I like it!

Johnch
11-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks
I think I will order a mould next week

We will be shooting steel pins till it warms up
But I plan on shooting the same load as real pins

John

OBXPilgrim
11-29-2007, 09:36 PM
I've got that mold in the Tumble lube design. I like it alot. It shot great with 1911s (colt & 1927 argentine), Glock 45 (don't shoot lead in it anymore), Ruger 45 auto, and of course a 625 (wish all on that list were mine).

I gotta agree with "flinchnjerk" about checking size - and also making them too soft. Got some that are undersize and all are probably a bit soft from one batch - mostly pure lead. About every other slug went through the paper sideways from 15/20 yards. I didn't have a problem with that before this last batch (loaded about 300 of them). That batch keyholed with all the guns listed above (didn't try the Glock). At 15/20 yards they were still on the paper though, even though full sideways profile.

My brother wanted me to load him some that would do that. Finally broke down and admitted to him it was a "defect".