PDA

View Full Version : Finally ready...

sasquatch76
12-30-2013, 07:37 PM
To cast my first boolits! After lurking, reading, learning, and gathering all the equipment I need. Now all I need is some warm weather, it's 20 degrees here and I don't have a place to cast inside where it's warm. I have 50lbs of WW ingots and my Lee 452-230 RN mold and now that I do, I have a feeling that winter is going to just drag on for spite. Anyways, this site has helped me a lot, and I'm sure will continue to help me, thanks everybody.

http://www.gunnook.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=363&d=1388445476

gray wolf
12-30-2013, 07:44 PM
It's a killer>>>>>>isn't it !! All that purdy new stuff and all.
I feel and share your pain.

Larry Gibson
12-30-2013, 07:46 PM
Find yourself 1 lb of tin to add to that 50 lbs of WWs. Will make a much better alloy; easier to cast with less rejects and better bullets. Might even then also scrounge up 15 - 20 lbs of plain lead to then add to it making a really good alloy for those 45 bullets and stretching those WWs out.

Larry Gibson

lwknight
12-30-2013, 07:59 PM
Don't fill all 6 cavities till the mold gets plenty hot.
I fill 2 and cut the spru then fill 2 more and repeat.
As the cutting gets easier from the plate heating up you can fill
more. You will get a feel for it. I broke my first spru plate lever
because the molds were not hot enough and filled all 6 cavities to start off with.

sasquatch76
12-30-2013, 08:08 PM
Find yourself 1 lb of tin to add to that 50 lbs of WWs. Will make a much better alloy; easier to cast with less rejects and better bullets. Might even then also scrounge up 15 - 20 lbs of plain lead to then add to it making a really good alloy for those 45 bullets and stretching those WWs out.

Larry Gibson

I was told by the guy who made the WW ingots, that he added tin to the mix. I do have 25lbs of plain lead ingots I made, I'll be getting some tin to mix with them, how much tin will be needed for that? Thanks.

sasquatch76
12-30-2013, 08:41 PM
Don't fill all 6 cavities till the mold gets plenty hot.
I fill 2 and cut the spru then fill 2 more and repeat.
As the cutting gets easier from the plate heating up you can fill
more. You will get a feel for it. I broke my first spru plate lever
because the molds were not hot enough and filled all 6 cavities to start off with.

That is very good advice. Thanks, I'll be sure to remember that, don't want to mess up my only mold. :)

62chevy
12-30-2013, 08:57 PM
Awesome!!! I just started this spring too. we need more West Virgina folks casting and shooting. :Fire:

mikeyman
01-04-2014, 10:59 PM
My first casting session will be this coming Monday and I can't wait! I have been collecting everything I need and reading for the past 6 months. I have smelted 1600 pounds of lead muffins which are all sitting in buckets under my pot. My head hurts from all the info and reading and I think I just need to dive in! Just got my lyman 4500 which was the very last peice of the puzzle. Wish me luck, I am sure I will be on here next week with questions :grin: