PDA

View Full Version : lee blackout cast 235grain

blackoutsteve
12-30-2013, 01:09 PM
I'm new to the reloading scene and I am having a hard time find out what load and powder I should use for this bullet weight. I will be shooting it out of a 10.5 inch barrel with a 1&8 twist . Would appericate some advice

fcvan
12-30-2013, 02:41 PM
Welcome to the site and good luck on your endeavors. There is a wealth of information available here. Play around with the search function and you will tap into many other enthusiasts. You can also google search your questions (or your favorite search engine) and you will find links to this and other sites dedicated to the 300 blk. I would also suggest searching loads from Sierra, Hornady, as well as the powder manufacturers for useful load information.

Be forewarned, folks at some sites are cautious of sharing load information with folks they don't know. We have no idea how much reloading and or casting experience you may have. I know you said you are new to the reloading scene but some folks have at least a little and some folks none at all. Reloading (as you may or may not know) is potentially dangerous. Each weapon deserves to be loaded for carefully and many new folks think they can just slap together components and have instant success. You can just as easily have instant catastrophe.

Read all you can, learn as much as you can, find a local mentor to help teach you this craft. And, as a hint, you might make a better introduction on your initial posts so that folks have a better idea if we are getting to know a total newcomer or an experienced caster/loader/shooter and can relate to you on your experience level.

Welcome to the board, and again, good luck on the 300 blk. I have the upper on order and will be diving in head first. I have the Lee 311-155 2R which I intend to do the bulk of my 300 shooting with. I will undoubtedly get the boolit you described at some point just because. Before then, I might swap for some to try it out. Knowing me, I'll just buy it. Anyway, take care and have fun.

Jupiter7
12-30-2013, 03:07 PM
Hi STeve,

Question: 10.5" barrel on what? AR, contender?
Personally I'd sent it to Eric at hollowpointmold.com and have him take the boat-tail off. Most don't have good luck with it.

Doc_Stihl
12-30-2013, 03:13 PM
I haven't heard of folks having trouble with the boat tail???
I personally use mine in several 30 cals with and without gas checks and haven't had any issue with the boat tail.

If I did want to remove my boat tail, I'd find a .310 straight reamer and slowly close the mold on the reamer while turning. Check and clear often. If you bugger it, you're out $25 for the mold.

To answer the OP. 1680 has worked well for me. I don't have my notes in front of me. Lots of good talk about using Reloder 7 and H-110 as well.

blackoutsteve
12-30-2013, 05:05 PM
Ar stoner barrel. Thanks for the advice

Jupiter7
12-30-2013, 07:24 PM
I wouldn't say problems but lack of accuracy. There are better designs. Assuming he's running them sub-sonic, aa1680, rl7 and lil gun would be good choices.

blikseme300
12-30-2013, 08:49 PM
Blackoutsteve, what are you trying to achieve? Punching paper or hunting? Do you have a can fitted? Which boolit are you planning to use?

Boolseye
12-30-2013, 09:34 PM
Steve,
all of the data I've seen for that bullet weight has been subsonic.
THere is more data always showing up for the BLK–stick with factory tested data is my strong suggestion.
Hodgdon's site has data, Sierra has data. Lee includes data with their dies.

http://www.hodgdon.com/
http://sierrabullets.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/300-aac-blackout.pdf

PM me if you like, I'll send you some 220 gr. data
-BE

blackoutsteve
01-01-2014, 08:07 PM
Punching paper mostly with these. I think I am going to buy my hunting and self defense rounds. And no can as of yet .

blackoutsteve
01-01-2014, 08:09 PM
Thank you I will check that out.