PDA

View Full Version : H&G mold alloy specs?

NYBushBro
12-29-2013, 08:43 PM
Does anyone have a reference regarding what alloy was originally recommended for George Hensley / Hensley & Gibbs molds to cast correctly dimensioned rifle bullets?

I am aware that different mold makers cut their molds to drop correct diameter slugs using a specific alloy (ie: 10:1, Lyman #2, etc.).

I hope there is a mold historian here...

R.M.
12-30-2013, 12:59 AM
In the following link,you'll see some of the .45 molds have lino in the comments column.
http://hgmould.gunloads.com/casting/hgmoldchart.htm

NYBushBro
12-30-2013, 01:25 PM
Thanks, fellas.

The reason I asked is that I found a H&G #141 on flea-bay a while ago... and recently sent it out to Erik Ohlen to have replacement H&G style HP pins (plus a few experimental pin profiles) made for it.

According to the H&G site, #141 was a 300 gr, 35 cal bullet designed for the 35 WCF (chambered in the Win 1895).

This particular mold has a blunt nose, much like the 8MM #114 (it even has similar drive bands) but LONGER - mine measures ~1.2" long (H&G site states 1.175" and a .210" meplat.)

Hopefully, once I get this mold back, there may be interest in cloning this mold for a heavy bullet for 35 Whelen shooters (possibly tweaking the dimensions to work best in those barrels.)

The samples I originally cast were with ISO core + 2% Sn, and the bullet nose (bore rider portion) cast a bit small.

Future samples will be cast in lino and a re-measurement will tell the tale.