PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Press Mounded Lubesizer

gunoholic
12-29-2013, 08:31 PM
Here's my nearly finished lube sizer, it's a slightly modified KTN design from this thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?65949-homemade-lubrisizer/page2&highlight=diy+lubesizer
even has a lube heater (80w soldering iron running through a light dimmer)

Blublister
12-31-2013, 05:48 AM
Great work. Ill be attempting this as soon as my swage press is done.

Kudos for the soldering iron mount for heater. Never thought of that.

How about some more pics from the side? The more pics the easier it is for the noobs to try and build themselves. Like the boolit tube aswell.

Blublister
12-31-2013, 09:23 AM
Sorry Gunoholic,

I'm a bit lost. I can see the lube tube is operated by air pressure and I suspect the weed whacker line is for getting it back out again. But what is the threaded bar for going to the bottom of the press? Does that whole top plate move up and down?

The second thing I am confused about is the hole in the top of the sizer where the bullets come out. Is that the lube bleed hole or just an inspection hole to see the boolit that just got lubed and sized?

Sorry if these are stupid questions. But I really don't know the answers.

kens
12-31-2013, 09:53 AM
I like the LEE push thru sizer, but I don't like tumble lube nor pan lube.

I been wondering how to get a grease cup or grease gun to inject into a push thru LEE die.

gunoholic
01-01-2014, 03:11 AM
here's TommygirlMTs animation from post #77 thread- http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?65949-homemade-lubrisizer/page4
the spring wasn't going to work well as the accurate mold drops near perfect .358 and i can hold the die down with my thumb while sizing them.
So i added a pull down rod thats held up off the die so it can easily move up and cut off the lube as the boolit is pushed in, at the bottom of the ram stroke the rod pulls the die down so the lube can flow into the lube groves.
the die has a circlip near the top that stops its downward travel at where the lube can flow

gunoholic
01-01-2014, 03:40 AM
die up, no lube flowing as the boolit is pushed to align with the lube holes

die down- lube flows into the lube groove,

gunoholic
01-01-2014, 03:57 AM
sorry about the **** photos my lady is away so I've only got MY phone camera
I've got no more cast boolits to try, and even put through some epoxy coated ones that had not been sized.
i could have shut the air off but lubed and coated they look purdy.

gunoholic
01-01-2014, 04:17 AM
"The second thing I am confused about is the hole in the top of the sizer where the bullets come out. Is that the lube bleed hole or just an inspection hole to see the boolit that just got lubed and sized?"

its not part of the die its just a thin walled pipe with an inspection hole that holds the plastic tube, clear tube would have been better but i didn't have any, the only thing i had to buy was the spring

Blublister
01-01-2014, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the response Gunoholic!

Now it makes a lot more sense. I followed the thread you were referring to and couldn't figure out the threaded bar part. Now I understand how it works. (I think I'm going to make mine like yours as well so i don't have to rely on a spring)

I really need one of these because pan lubing sucks when doing more than a thousand boolits.
Great work and thanks for sharing your ideas!

flintsghost
01-07-2014, 01:44 AM
That seems like a lot of work to go to. Unless of course, the local powers won't let you have one which I understand may be the case in at least South Africa.

Blublister
01-07-2014, 04:48 PM
I can buy a lubrisizer in any gun shop in South Africa. I just don't want to spend that much for something that can easily be made to do the same thing. I also enjoy making things myself.

The problem is all the stuff is almost double the price that you guys pay because its imported from USA then shipping and tax added. Then each person that sells it to the next before it gets to the gun shop adds his profit and tax. I imported my Dillon 550B press directly from the USA from Dillon and it worked out much cheaper even after shipping and tax than it costs in SA. By much cheaper I mean $140 cheaper.

To give you an idea a pack of hornady a-max 178gr costs R680. That converts to $63.85 with the current exchange rate. Midway and almost everyone else sells it for way less.

We can own anything except full auto. We have no regulations on silencers. That's the good part.

Our licensing system takes a hell of a lot longer than yours. Buy the gun and walk out with a piece of paper to do the application. The firearm stays in the possession of the gun shop or seller until the license has been approved and issued. My 300WSM took three years. Its getting faster now (like 2 to 6 months). As for powder we only have the choice of our local manufacturer Somchem.

Hope that clears it up.