PDA

View Full Version : Will any pot do for melting?

Mwsenoj
12-29-2013, 12:26 AM
This may seem stupid, but there have been way too many times in which I thought I knew, and boy was I wrong. Things are not always as they appear.

I was just given an enamel cast iron pot. Will this work to melt lead in for ingots? Too much slag was getting into my Lee drip-o-matic.

blikseme300
12-29-2013, 06:09 AM
The enamel will pop off and create too much excitement, don't do it.

I use a 100lb PID controlled smelter set at 700* for rendering WW's to cast ingots as this prevents zinc WW's from contaminating the alloy.

Lead Fred
12-29-2013, 08:56 AM
I cut the bottom off a O2 tank, drilled a hole in it, and screwed in a bolt and jam nut for a handle.
Been working great for years now. The wood handle burnt off, but I got lots of trees here.

georgerkahn
12-29-2013, 09:11 AM
Might you have a photo of your O2 tank bottom? I love the idea; was about to order a pot from DCROCKETT but it appears he's no longer purveying these.
geo

Doc_Stihl
12-29-2013, 09:17 AM
You should also stay away from aluminum. They may not hold up to the high heat and weight combination.

Mwsenoj
12-29-2013, 10:56 AM
So, that was a serious warning against enameled cast iron?

ffries61
12-29-2013, 11:37 AM
So, that was a serious warning against enameled cast iron?

I've been using one for about a year now (bought at Big Lots) over a turkey frier burner, no problems yet

Fred

ShooterAZ
12-29-2013, 12:06 PM
The enamel will chip off and into the melt. I did it for a while and ended up getting a regular cast iron dutch oven at a thrift store. It works much better. As mentioned, stay away from aluminum.

bangerjim
12-29-2013, 12:09 PM
CI dutch oven.......the only way to go. No Al.......no coated anything.

banger

singleshot
12-29-2013, 12:19 PM
I use an old aluminum pot to melt down large lead items for smelting over a turkey fryer. I don't use it continuously, and keep an eye on the temps, but it has given years of reliable service with no extra $$ spent on special equipment.

jmort
12-29-2013, 12:32 PM
"CI dutch oven.......the only way to go. No Al.......no coated anything."

Cast iron can crack. That would be below-average if pot was full of lead. My steel cut-off propane cylinders will not crack. I would not use aluminum or "multi-ply" stainless pots or enamel. Does not mean you can't use just about anything and work your way up to steel which is best. Steel pipe welded on base, propane/freon/O2 tanks cut-off, will all be better than anything else.

singleshot
12-29-2013, 12:37 PM
"CI dutch oven.......the only way to go. No Al.......no coated anything."

Cast iron can crack. That would be below-average if pot was full of lead. My steel cut-off propane cylinders will not crack. I would not use aluminum or "multi-ply" stainless pots or enamel. Does not mean you can't use just about anything and work your way up to steel which is best. Steel pipe welded on base, propane/freon/O2 tanks cut-off, will all be better than anything else.

Jmortimer,

Do you use the 20# propane cylinders or the little 14 oz disposables? That's a great idea, BTW! Thanks!

jmort
12-29-2013, 12:43 PM
20 pound. Round bottom is also as huge plus. Got two from DCrockett and have one I got for $5.00 ready for spring project. There are some threads on cutting them. Make sure they are empty. Be careful. Generally, remove valve, fill/rinse/wash with dawn/dish soap a couple times and you should be good to go with a cut-off wheel on a 4 1/2" grinder.

jeffrowtoo
12-29-2013, 12:55 PM
Another vote for CI dutch ovens. I have several and a few CI lead pots and have used same for 36 years, you won't go wrong there.

jmort
12-29-2013, 12:59 PM
A steel tank as described will be better than any cast iron anything. If you want the lesser, go for it. You can get a propane or Freon tank for little or nothing. Rounded bottom a definite plus as well.

JSnover
12-29-2013, 01:38 PM
Steel is best if you can get or make one. Cast was my first choice because they're easy to find. It's not always wrong to open your wallet.

jmort
12-29-2013, 01:43 PM
Nothing wrong with spending $$$ or with cast iron, I just disagree with the proposition bangerjim put out there that "cast iron is the only way to go." Normally I agree with him, but he is as wrong here as he is right about ES PC.

David2011
12-29-2013, 03:58 PM
I use an old aluminum pot to melt down large lead items for smelting over a turkey fryer. I don't use it continuously, and keep an eye on the temps, but it has given years of reliable service with no extra $$ spent on special equipment.

I just hope you can outrun a flow of molten lead. There have been numerous reports of aluminum failing on this site over the years. Seeing something like this tends to make newcomers think it's actually OK to use aluminum. Even steel is significantly weaker at smelting temperatures than room temp but it still has a better reserve capacity for stress than aluminum.

David

bangerjim
12-29-2013, 05:35 PM
Nothing wrong with spending $$$ or with cast iron, I just disagree with the proposition bangerjim put out there that "cast iron is the only way to go." Normally I agree with him, but he is as wrong here as he is right about ES PC.

Most, unlike you and me, may not have the capabilities of cutting, welding, and modifying miscellaneous shaped gas tanks easily. I can do MIG/machining/riveting/cutting/bending/forming, etc to fab just about anything.

Anyone can easily and economically acquire a QUALITY (important) iron cook utensil at many fine stores. Later, after getting into the "sport", they can invest in having a machine shop or buddy make a steel one for them. The CI pots are always hot sellers to us melters and can be liquidated easily at a future date.

I am just watching out for the people on here that have had their "money trees" die on them of late! :grin:

banger

jmort
12-29-2013, 06:00 PM
"I can do MIG/machining/riveting/cutting/bending/forming, etc to fab just about anything."

I can only cut and grind and MIG/stick weld. Beer Can Engineering. The big thing with the propane tanks is safety.

singleshot
12-29-2013, 06:21 PM
I just hope you can outrun a flow of molten lead. There have been numerous reports of aluminum failing on this site over the years. Seeing something like this tends to make newcomers think it's actually OK to use aluminum. Even steel is significantly weaker at smelting temperatures than room temp but it still has a better reserve capacity for stress than aluminum.

David
Sure, aluminum can fail due to overtemps. I heat the lead slowly over a half hour or so, not to stress the metal. If you are in a hurry, steel is your best material easily obtained. I could cause cast iron to fail too, if provoked. You must know how to work with materials! Period. If you hold your foot to the petal of a vehicle every time you drive it, it will fail prematurely and catastrophically as well. Same principal. Use common sense, as uncommon as it may be.

mikeym1a
12-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Uh, I thought pot was for smoking...............:???:

dikman
12-29-2013, 07:58 PM
Wrong pot, mikey :razz:.

The problem with an enamel pot is that you'll be running it at a high heat. If the enamel cracks it will start splintering off, sometimes in all directions, which may not be nice! Stainless steel is a cheap way to get started, either a pot or a saucepan for smaller quantities. Aluminium should work, as long as you watch the temp, but I wouldn't use it myself. Propane tank pots are the way to go, in my opinion - relatively cheap, almost indestructible and can take a very high temp. (although they do rust!).

jmort
12-29-2013, 08:06 PM
"...although they do rust!"

Yes indeed. A little wire brush action and it's good to go, and some residual rust, no big deal.

BPShooter
12-30-2013, 12:13 AM
Stainless steel pans work great. If your lucky you can find one at home or a local flea market.

zuke
12-30-2013, 09:48 AM
Found this stainless steel pressue cooker at a flea market. Cost me $1.00

Kylongrifle
12-31-2013, 10:59 PM
I use steel and iron. I have a blacksmith/fab shop so making whatever I want is no problem. Ive been using a large cast pot(and a small stainless pot) for a long time but have been wanting to make a tank steel pot. Just haven't got around to it. Work keeps getting in the way. One of our shop forges is propane but all of my tanks are too good to cut up. I have a buddy who runs a local propane "dealership". Im betting he has some old ones laying around.

dikman
01-01-2014, 01:14 AM
Im betting he has some old ones laying around.

Be something wrong if he didn't! The odd times I've been to our local dump I've seen them in the big recycling bin, but I'll bet that, in these days of Occupational Health and Safety, they won't let anyone have them. (I'll have to ask next time I'm over there, they're just too useful to scrap, in my opinion).

Btw, anyone tried cutting one with a plasma cutter?

mikeym1a
01-01-2014, 11:32 PM
If you're using an old lp tank, it's been suggested that you remove the fill valve, and fill it with water, to drive out any residual propane. Another way to get one, find a refrigeration place, and ask them if they have any empties that want to get rid of. I had one from years ago, and used the plasma cutter at work to cut off the top 1/3. I took the handles off the discard top, and welded them to the sides of the 'new' pot. It isn't quite as big as the propane tank, but, I've had 20lbs of melt in it. I've found you need a skirt around the pot to keep the heat next to the pot. Much more efficient that way. Cheers!

rondog
01-01-2014, 11:43 PM
Just a story -

I was in a little antique store and spied a WWI mess kit for cheap. Thrilled, I grabbed it and was checking it out, and discovered that someone had used it for melting lead with. Bummed me out.

But, there was also a WWI canteen with cup there, scored it for $10, I think it was....maybe it was $7. I crs anymore.