PDA

View Full Version : 358 too big?

pearcetopher
12-28-2013, 04:59 PM
Hi guys

I have a tiny norinco 9mm that with my current 6 cav .356 bullets fire fairly accurate 3.6 titegroup at 1.06 inch. I figured I wanted something very very accurate so I bought the lee .358 flat nosed cone shape bullet six cavity. I do not size my bullets as every sizing die I have ever purchased has been nowhere close to its stated size.

Does anyone here shoot .358 9mm that chamber without being sized? I also find my lee molds drop bullets at exactly the stated size

I do want to order a .357 die but I already have ordered 2 of them and the first was .355 and the second was .354 so needless to say I have lost all faith

detox
12-28-2013, 06:29 PM
Mike Venturino says Winchester brass is thinner than most brass and will allow a larger diameter bullet to chamber better in some 9mm pistols with tighter chambers. So if it chambers without jamming it should work. If it does not cycle well you could size bullet down to 357 then try again. He also likes using Linotype alloy, because it shrinks less and fills smaller diameter 9mm moulds verywell. His powder of choice is Bullseye

kryogen
12-28-2013, 11:01 PM
what is your bore diameter?
General rule seems that 9mm likes .001 above bore diameter, if that will chamber, if not, try bore diameter.

I would size but that's just me. The lee molds drop .001 to .002 larger than spec for me. I would rather size and get repeatability.

So far I have used 2 lee sizers are both are right on the spot.
Do you lube the bullets before sizing? Make sure there is no lead accumulation in the sizer.

My 92FS is .357, so I will try some .358, and some .357, and see.
.356 leads too much. Waiting on both sizers... on order.

pearcetopher
12-29-2013, 12:11 AM
if you are getting no leading then are you technically getting perfect accuracy?

MtGun44
12-29-2013, 12:58 AM
I use and recommend either .357 or .358 diam in 9mm for best accy and
no leading. My two Lee 356 120 TC molds drop at .358 and a bit more, no
sweat sizing to .358.

Bill

cbrick
12-29-2013, 07:52 AM
I do want to order a .357 die but I already have ordered 2 of them and the first was .355 and the second was .354 so needless to say I have lost all faith

Your alloy will determine the final sized diameter. While there will be minor variations in the dies the same die will give different diameters with 2 different alloys just as with as cast diameter from your molds. The percentage of Sb/Sn in the alloy is what changes the sized diameter from a given die. If your using a consistent alloy it's fairly simple to hone out one of your dies to give you your desired results.

if you are getting no leading then are you technically getting perfect accuracy?

Boolit fit is only part of the equation, the load will also effect accuracy but no leading is certainly a good start.

Rick

mikeym1a
12-29-2013, 08:18 AM
If you have a Lee sizer, you can open it up. Just get a dowel that fits the sizer loosely, carefully split it in the center for about 2", use fairly fine emery paper wrapped til it fits snug in the sizer, connect the other end to a cordless drill, and spin it, working back and forth. You have to stop and run a slug through it every so often to see how its going. Go easy. It doesn't take long, and once you have made it bigger, you can't put it back. I've done that to two of my sizers for my paper patching, made a .312 out of a .311, and a .319 out of a .314. Hope this helps. :-D

dubber123
12-29-2013, 11:06 AM
Of the 3 9mm's I cast for, the Luger gets .358", the Tokarev gets .358", and the P-1 gets .359". My brother has a Norinco 9mm, and .358" worked well for that one. Getting a set of dies with a proper expander plug to prevent boolits from getting swaged down while seating is very important.