PDA

View Full Version : simple question for a simple mind

mainiac
11-27-2007, 07:10 PM
As some of you know, ive branched out into rifle cast boolit shooting. Ive spent the last few years with revolvers and leverguns,shooting revoler cartridges.All ive ever heard is people talking about hard bullets, water-drop,heat treat,linotyps,etc. I took all this advice, and realized that the more pressure on a boolit,the harder your boolit needs to be. BUT, how come, with my 22 cal. rifles, i can shoot high pressure loads at jacketed velocity,with no problems... with nothing except air-cooled wheel weights? It must be the cylinder/barrell gap thing?Or, the cylinder and barrell is not the exact same size, and therefore,we have to frig around with hardness? Maybe standard handgun rifling twist is to steep,and it should be slowed down,or alot heavier/longer boolit should be used?

leftiye
11-27-2007, 08:33 PM
22 centerfires enjoy a special place in that their boolits are the lowest sectional density boolits out there. This makes them able to take faster accelerations (reads higher pressures) than larger (longer) boolits can before obturation (reads deformation) occurs. Therefore they should tolerate somewhat softer alloys. FWIW, I've been following your recent threads about your Hornet loads, and I suspect you've got an unually cast friendly gun there! 22s generally play h@!! with anyone looking for accuracy.

Buckshot
11-28-2007, 03:40 AM
...............A shooting buddy has a Winchester M54 in 22 Hornet. He can shoot cast almost as fast and accurately as his jacketed loads. Well, to about 2500 fps anyway :-). Heck, he even shoots pulled 40 gr 22RF bullets. These over light charges for fun and the occasional crow in his back yard.

I've shot cast 56gr boolits form my Savage M112 single shot .223 accurately to 2200 fps. It has a 12" twist. Actually the accuracy is still useable at 2400 fps but it isn't going to win any matches.

.................Buckshot

mainiac
11-28-2007, 09:41 PM
22 centerfires enjoy a special place in that their boolits are the lowest sectional density boolits out there. This makes them able to take faster accelerations (reads higher pressures) than larger (longer) boolits can before obturation (reads deformation) occurs. Therefore they should tolerate somewhat softer alloys. FWIW, I've been following your recent threads about your Hornet loads, and I suspect you've got an unually cast friendly gun there! 22s generally play h@!! with anyone looking for accuracy.

I dont really know what is accurate with this gun. Your probaly familiar with the savage/stevens guns, one screw under the recoil lug,and a stupid barrell band... with the tang hanging out in the breeze. You have to rest the gun EXACTLY 2 inches behind the barrell band crew(in the forearm), or the groups go all to hell. Compound this with a cheap 20 dollar bushnell scope with parrellex problems, and a home-made scope base that i tig-welded together from scrap,,,, Yeah, some guns are fun! Lusting after a cz in .22 hornet as we speak....