PDA

View Full Version : Heater Plate (rare kind) ?

Digger
12-27-2013, 06:04 PM
Wrong forum to put this but thought it would get more exposure this way (my bad) .... bare with me.
Have been using my own version of a custom heater plate similar to Lyman's for the lubing process , side benefit of where I work.
For those that are powder coating , please ignore ....
I work in the pipeline industry and have been using a castoff piece that I recovered from the trash as my heater plate for my two Lyman 45's and Meepos lubers ... it is a heater plate we use in the process of "fusing" PE (plastic) pipe for natural gas installation , you place both ends face to face against the plate until they melt enough to bring together , bonding the two together in a permanent joint.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]91732[/ATTACH

the one in the picture is a "4" inch plate model , which is a bit of over kill ,they have separate face plates and as you can see I have more than one available for the one heater , I can interchange for my convenience .
Works great for different dies and lube combos ....
Plus it has an adjustable thermostat in it , "self contained".
We normally run these at 475 to 500 degrees but for my purposes as every one here knows , I run mine at 80 Plus give or take for Lars's red or Ben's red , depends ... Using it in that range I can clamp it to my work bench and not worry about burning things up , lately this winter I kick it up some ...(makes a great hand warmer ...[smilie=1:)
Just came across parts and pieces for maybe three "2"inch plates models that were going to be discarded and thought maybe it might be possible to sell them here and donate the funds to the site.
Let me know if this is possible or not ... maybe 'tootin" in the wind here ....
Bad timing with everyone's holiday funds gone .....:(
digger

dbosman
12-27-2013, 11:34 PM
I'm interested enough to ask if you have a price in mind, or an auction?

How do you keep your's at 80 plus?

Thanks.

Digger
12-28-2013, 10:18 AM
Moving this into the lube forum here dbosman ... under the title .. heater plate" custom"
link ...
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?224779-Heater-Plate-%28custom%29