PDA

View Full Version : looking for auto press

windyhill
11-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Hi! Fellow swagers!!! Have been swaging my own bullets for over twenty years and have the best luck Corbin products.. Now I'm looking for a automated swaging press in 45 cal. I have one of the original bear mountain press in 38 cal and love it.. Im looking for a bear mountain press 45 if anyone knows where I could find one, or any other automatic press..... I swage several calibers for pistol and have the best accuracy with swaged,, Thanks for your time Denny

Red River Rick
11-27-2007, 05:32 PM
It never fails. It's too bad you didn't post this earlier. I had a a Bear Mountain automated swaging press up until a couple of months ago. After repeatedly trying to sell it, without any luck, I decided to disassemble the entire unit and salvaged what I could out of it, hydraulic power pack w/pump, cylinders, lines etc. The rest of the press went into the garbage.

I still have complete sets (8 dies per set) of swaging dies to fit the machine, .38, .44 and .45 cal with lots of various nose punches. The .44 dies were purchased from Corbin approx. 10 years ago and have not been used, still brand new.

I also have some new parts to fit the machine as well. If your interested in any of the die sets or parts, send me a PM.

RRR.

hawk223
11-27-2007, 09:57 PM
I would have probably bought it. How much were you asking?

Red River Rick
11-27-2007, 10:41 PM
hawk223:

Price doesn't matter anymore, all the money in the world couldn't but it now.

It's really to bad, that machine sat around my shop for the last 8 years gathering dust. Used it perhaps a dozen times to run a few thousand bullets, if that. I had full intentions of using it, but that never materialized. I use my Corbin CHP-1 instead.

Not that I wanted a whole lot for it, there is/was a lot of accessories for it. Hell, the new set of .44 dies were $1600.00 ten years ago, they are still new and unused. Lots of various nose and base punches as well. It would have been nice if it ended up in someone's else's shop/garage, at least it would have been, perhaps, put to good use.

Oh well, no sense crying about it, what's done is done. WAHHHHHHHHHHHH..............

RRR

crossfireoops
11-29-2007, 12:06 PM
Rick, or anyone ....What's a good used CHP-1, bare machine worth , in today's boolit swadging Loonie's market.....?

Nother' ask, ...Rick, does your CHP 1 have cyclic index / travel distance control by electric eye, or older micro-switches ?

Thanks,

GTC

Red River Rick
11-29-2007, 06:48 PM
Crossfireoops:

I haven't come across any used CHP-1's so I can't say what they would be worth. However, with the current interest in swaging, good used ones will probably still be worth a few dollars.
New presses are selling for approx. $7,000.00. Corbin does take used presses and equipment in for trade and refurbishes them. You could try contacting Dave and see if he has any used one's in stock.

My CHP-1 is mid 80's technology, and does not have the modern proximity switches as the new ones have, rather the older style mechanical switches. They still function well and have not caused me any problems, yet. If and when the time comes that I need to replace them, I will do so with the newer version of switches.

RRR

crossfireoops
11-29-2007, 07:09 PM
R.R. Rick,

Well, I'm not "trolling" or playing "E-Bay Commando"........I've got a pretty nice CHP1 mK4 sitting out in what is benevolently known as my "Coop".......along with odds and ends of accesories / fodder therefore.

It belongs to "Antimony Man" Bill Ferguson, a neighbor (and Mentor) of mine.......Talked to him about selling it off,......I don't know that I'll ever find time to do the thing justice, what with new land, and a host of other projects......just totally swamped, like. We both feel that the thing would suit someone who could really max out it's potential, and at one time I thought that was me.

Had no idea at all that swadging was such an interesting area, with such a prolific bunch of folks involved. As a hydraulics tech, I can see areas of design that could stand a little tuning and tweaking of final configuration, .....but have to say that the components chosen were top of the line, for the time.

As a Machinist, I can see boundless ballistic stunts and capers that one could pull off with a set up like this.

Thanks for your response, and best wishes for a good Winter ( from a re-formed Albertan)

GTC

Red River Rick
11-29-2007, 07:32 PM
Crossfireoops:

The sad part about selling off the CHP-1 is, later on you may regret it. If it's not bothering anyone or in the way, let it sit for awhile longer, it won't go bad.

The other alternative, as far as selling goes, try listing it in the Canadian Access to Firearms paper, I'm sure that someone here in "Mooseland" is looking for one.

The one drawback with swaging is if your forced to buy all your tooling from Corbin or others, it gets to become very expensive. I'm lucky enough that I'm able to make my own due to fact that I am a journeyman Tool & Die maker by trade and have all my own equipment right here at home.

By the way, winter has started off here really miserable and cold, it was -35 Celcius the other morning with the windchill factor, and this is still only Novemeber. I hate to see what's in store for January.

RRR

crossfireoops
11-29-2007, 11:28 PM
Rick, ....It'll either get sold, ....or put to work.

I'm a Machinist -Millwright-Welder, and reckon that I can spool up tooling for just about anything,.......Dies and punches for this apparatus inclusive.

I'm a LONG way from Alberta, ...these days. From my South boundary I look at the mountains of N. Sonora, Mexico.

Don't miss the frost one bit, either.

GTC