PDA

View Full Version : primer issue

NSP64
12-25-2013, 05:32 PM
A couple of months ago I ran across some S&B brand primers , so I loaded up a bunch of 9 millimeter ammo with them. We went out on a range session a couple of weeks ago , and I was having a failure to fire a every so often with the striker fired pistols . I thought that maybe the SM be primers were a little harder and they always fired on the second strike . Yesterday I was loading some 223 shells with CCI small rifle primers , and they were not seating all the way . I use a Lee brand and hand primer. so I got to looking at the setup and they're is so much slop around in the whole system that the rifle primers were not seatding now .
So, I added a 30 caliber gas check to the bottom of the RAM that pushes the primer up into the shell, lengthening the amount of RAM that comes out of the top of the shell holder .
Problem solved.
I guess it was just wear over the years of using it.

I went back and looked at all the 9 millimeter that I had loaded and a few of them the primers were not all the way in . I went back on the loaded ammo and reseated all the primers .
every one of them now fires when struck the first time .

C. Latch
12-25-2013, 05:54 PM
I went back on the loaded ammo and reseated all the primers

I know that doesn't bother some people, but it unnerves me. YMMV.

dubber123
12-25-2013, 05:56 PM
I had a fellow at our range with the same problem. I picked up on the high primer problem, and he went home to investigate. His LEE hand prime had also worn out to the point it wouldn't seat primers fully.

12-25-2013, 06:06 PM
A feature of ram primer systems (I use both RCBS and Lyman) is the ability to adjust the die to assure correct primer seating depth.

The older, round tray Lee hand primer is a dust collector.

BruceB
12-25-2013, 06:16 PM
I know that doesn't bother some people, but it unnerves me. YMMV.

I sympathize, but:

Primers function on IMPACT. No impact, no ignition.

As long as the cartridge is NOT contained in a die. even if the primer fires it will just make a mess as the bullet is ejected and the powder charge scatters all over the place.

Definitely, wear safety glasses, and remove the dies from the press, but do the seating GENTLY and there'll be no problem.

C. Latch
12-25-2013, 07:03 PM
I realize that. Still unnerves me. YMMV.

dubber123
12-25-2013, 07:30 PM
I realize that. Still unnerves me. YMMV.

You really would have hated to see me prime .41 Swiss with a hammer.. I did many, with nary an errant "bang". Primers are pretty tough.

Tatume
12-25-2013, 07:34 PM
My Lee Auto Prime works perfectly on every cartridge except the 223 Remington. On the 223 it will not seat primers flush. I bought an RCBS tool for just that reason, but still use the Lee tool frequently.

Bullshop Junior
12-25-2013, 08:56 PM
A couple of months ago I ran across some S&B brand primers , so I loaded up a bunch of 9 millimeter ammo with them. We went out on a range session a couple of weeks ago , and I was having a failure to fire a every so often with the striker fired pistols . I thought that maybe the SM be primers were a little harder and they always fired on the second strike . Yesterday I was loading some 223 shells with CCI small rifle primers , and they were not seating all the way . I use a Lee brand and hand primer. so I got to looking at the setup and they're is so much slop around in the whole system that the rifle primers were not seatding now .
So, I added a 30 caliber gas check to the bottom of the RAM that pushes the primer up into the shell, lengthening the amount of RAM that comes out of the top of the shell holder .
Problem solved.
I guess it was just wear over the years of using it.

I went back and looked at all the 9 millimeter that I had loaded and a few of them the primers were not all the way in . I went back on the loaded ammo and reseated all the primers .
every one of them now fires when struck the first time .

The problem is actually the aluminum push lever. They bend over time until they touch the tool body, not allowing them to push the primers all the way up. The never levers are cheap from lee. Get a new one and you will see what I mean. We used to keep a box of the extra handles around because we used the auto primes so much that we actually wore them out, and broke the handles quite a bit, after trying to straighten them a few times.

Bullshop Junior
12-25-2013, 08:59 PM
You really would have hated to see me prime .41 Swiss with a hammer.. I did many, with nary an errant "bang". Primers are pretty tough.

I seated many shotgun primers with a hammer.

Airman Basic
12-25-2013, 10:36 PM
A feature of ram primer systems (I use both RCBS and Lyman) is the ability to adjust the die to assure correct primer seating depth.

The older, round tray Lee hand primer is a dust collector.
My problem with the round tray model was the cast body of the thing actually came free where you install the shell holder. After 30 years of hard use. I have spares so I'm back in business. Still my go to priming tool.