PDA

View Full Version : Times are tough

starmac
12-24-2013, 03:37 PM
You know things are tough when you only give away one brick of 22 ammo at Christmas. lol

When I was growing up, I always got 22 ammo for Christmas, and usually always give some as presents the last 30 years or so, but I would have had to ration them this year. lol

Merry Christmas to all, and I hope all members has all the ammo they need for the new year.

Bohica793
12-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Merry Christmas to you and yours, Starmac and to all the rest of the Cast Boolits crew. I gave up on 22s, locked them away in the safe and only shoot what I can cast and load for. I think I am better off for it.

bear67
12-24-2013, 03:53 PM
All too true. I am not giving any away, but we shot most of a brick at the range this afternoon with 4 of the 6 grandkids. Shot a bunch of .45 Colt and 9mm also. Shot some .40 S&W that my LEO son gave me that got very wet in storage and cases were discolored. Every one shot and cycled the SIG we were shooting them through. I had a .22 conversion barrel and slide for the SIG 226 DAK and the free ammo looked better than the .22 rf I had on hand from awhile back. Some of it cost $100 a case/$10 a brick. Those were the days.

bear67
12-24-2013, 03:55 PM
Merry Christmas and may the blessings of the season bring joy to you and yours as we celebrate the birth of our savior Jesus Christ.
Bear and Mama Bear

Sweetpea
12-24-2013, 04:33 PM
I'll be giving some away today...

A bulk pack for my best buddy... ( a while back, he brought me a GLASS 5 gallon water jug, for early Christmas)... so I figured I'd get him something HE couldn't seem to find.:bigsmyl2:

We also have a family Christmas eve party later, with a white elephant gift exchange. I think I'm taking a little 50 round box for that...

OR some Zinc WWs! :guntootsmiley:

Down South
12-24-2013, 04:46 PM
You know things are tough when you only give away one brick of 22 ammo at Christmas. lol

When I was growing up, I always got 22 ammo for Christmas, and usually always give some as presents the last 30 years or so, but I would have had to ration them this year. lol

Merry Christmas to all, and I hope all members has all the ammo they need for the new year.
I remember our conversations back about a year or more ago. 22 rim fire was still plentiful in your area. I hate to see you guys now in a bind too.
I did finally get that BX-25 after a year of back order.

snowwolfe
12-24-2013, 04:51 PM
I am giving away plenty of bricks for presents this year. Not difficult to find nor to expensive if you just order it in advance from CMP. They deliver to your door step even in Alaska.

Bullshop Junior
12-24-2013, 05:26 PM
They might deliver, but it will cost you.

starmac
12-24-2013, 05:26 PM
I have plenty for my use, and sportsmans gets some in periodically, but you have to be there the day it comes in. It has been a while since I have seen any 22 mag ammo at all though. I'm giving my SIL a heritage rough rider convertible and a brick of lr, but if he wants to use the magnum cylinder, he will have to scrounge his own ammo. lol

starmac
12-24-2013, 05:30 PM
I am giving away plenty of bricks for presents this year. Not difficult to find nor to expensive if you just order it in advance from CMP. They deliver to your door step even in Alaska.

Did you ever have them deliver to Alaska since ammo was reclassified. I'm not sure how they could deliver to your door, or even reasonably to the docks, unless you ordered a large amount.

Bullshop Junior
12-24-2013, 05:30 PM
I have plenty for my use, and sportsmans gets some in periodically, but you have to be there the day it comes in. It has been a while since I have seen any 22 mag ammo at all though. I'm giving my SIL a heritage rough rider convertible and a brick of lr, but if he wants to use the magnum cylinder, he will have to scrounge his own ammo. lol

Now that's just plain mean lol..

Fred Meyers had some 22 mag last week...I guess a friend of mine went there and bought all 15 boxes before they got it unloaded...

snowwolfe
12-24-2013, 07:47 PM
I didn't move out of Alaska until April of this year. I had two previous orders of .22 ammo from CMP delivered to my door in Eagle River AK via FedEx. CMP charges $39.95 per case (5,000 rounds) to ship to Alaska. If you live in the lower 48 they charge $24.95 per case to ship.

From CMP's web site:

.22LR Standard Velocity SP CENTURION
Manuf - Aguila-5000 rd/case. 40 gr., lead projectile, 1080
fps.at muzzle - standard velocity. Brass cases of max
resistance, manuf for perfect feeding in any typoe .22 rim-
fire weapon. Technically designed bullets which provide max
accuracy & due to their lubrication do not foul the barrel.
Clean combustion gunpowder and high velocities at low
pressure. ELEY prime process providing reliable ignition.

$260.00 per cs-$24.95 S&H per, $39.95 per cs to
Alaska/Hawaii. CLUB REQ FOR PURCHASE.

WILCO
12-24-2013, 07:59 PM
When I was growing up, I always got 22 ammo for Christmas...

Simpler times back then.

Merry Christmas to All!

starmac
12-24-2013, 08:05 PM
I will have to check into that, because From what I have understood fed x and ups only ships air to Ak, and no ammo since they reclassified it. Everybody I know that has any ammo powder or primers shipped up has had to do it with barge freight.

I am sure that is better ammo, but the price is higher than sportsmans, but sportsmans has a one brick a day limit too.

starmac
12-24-2013, 09:25 PM
Actually I lied, I did fill the mag cylinder with 6 rounds of ammo, just for a teaser. lol

Bullshop Junior
12-24-2013, 09:29 PM
Actually I lied, I did fill the mag cylinder with 6 rounds of ammo, just for a teaser. lol

Thats even more mean lol.

starmac
12-24-2013, 09:32 PM
Yea, but he is used to it. lol

Blacksmith
12-24-2013, 09:38 PM
I will have to check into that, because From what I have understood fed x and ups only ships air to Ak, and no ammo since they reclassified it. Everybody I know that has any ammo powder or primers shipped up has had to do it with barge freight.

I am sure that is better ammo, but the price is higher than sportsmans, but sportsmans has a one brick a day limit too.

The cost of CMP .22 ammo is going up. It was announced by the Chief Operating Office and is covered in this post:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?223614-Outlook-for-Ammunition&p=2527662&viewfull=1#post2527662

But they are still taking orders and say they will contact you before shipping to see if you still want it. If you are eligible you might as well get in line at CMP as insurance.

bearcove
12-24-2013, 10:57 PM
I do 22K-hornet primer and a grain and a half of bullseye is cheaper.

Bullshop Junior
12-24-2013, 11:29 PM
I was looking on midway and they have 22mag ammo in stock, but wont ship to ak.

starmac
12-25-2013, 03:04 AM
I do 22K-hornet primer and a grain and a half of bullseye is cheaper.

It is double tuff gettin em to feed in the M39 though. lol

Lloyd Smale
12-25-2013, 05:42 AM
I quit giving 22 shells out period. Used to have so many the son in law and grandkids would just go out in the loading room and take what they wanted. there was allways at least 3 cases out there. Ive been down to one case for about a year and dont even shoot them myself and had to lock them in the powder cabinet.

375supermag
12-25-2013, 08:51 AM
HI...
We have had some issues with 22LR availability for a year or more.
Some times there is none available at all. Some times there are quite a few places that have it in stock for a day or so, then none for weeks at a time.

I have quite a few bulk packs and single boxes of several different manufacturers and bullet type/styles.
We haven't stopped shooting 22LR yet, 22Mag is another story. Can't find any anywhere...I won't shoot what I have until I can replace it, so the 22mags are collecting dust(figuratively speaking).

Not too worried about 22LR to this point. That will change when my 19-year old son opens his Christmas present later this morning...an H&K MP5 semi-automatic rifle in 22LR.

I suspect quite a few hundred 22LR rounds will be going downrange on his next day off work (Saturday).
That may start to impact our 22LR stash, if I know my son.

472x1B/A
12-25-2013, 09:16 AM
It's strange how some things happen, especially how talk gets around. Had a guy call me about a month ago, I know him from a club I belong to, to say that he had about a thousand pounds of wheel weights to get rid of. I thought to myself, first how did this guy get my phone number and second how did he know I was wanting wheel weights. Anyway, he flat out absolutly refused to take money, would only trade for .22 long rifle ammo. When I asked him how he knew I had any .22's to trade, he said "You know how talk gets around here. You've lived here for awhile you should know."

" Word has it that you do a bunch of casting and reloading." He had 895 pounds of COWW and was so happy to get 4 bricks of .22's in trade. He was happy and I was happy. But I'm still keeping what I have for that rainny day, yah just never know.

Beau Cassidy
12-25-2013, 10:27 AM
It's strange how some things happen, especially how talk gets around. Had a guy call me about a month ago, I know him from a club I belong to, to say that he had about a thousand pounds of wheel weights to get rid of. I thought to myself, first how did this guy get my phone number and second how did he know I was wanting wheel weights. Anyway, he flat out absolutly refused to take money, would only trade for .22 long rifle ammo. When I asked him how he knew I had any .22's to trade, he said "You know how talk gets around here. You've lived here for awhile you should know."

" Word has it that you do a bunch of casting and reloading." He had 895 pounds of COWW and was so happy to get 4 bricks of .22's in trade. He was happy and I was happy. But I'm still keeping what I have for that rainny day, yah just never know.

Now THAT is a heck of a trade right there. Having that kind of reputation would bother me, though. Its kinda like putting a target on your back for bad guys to come visit.

btroj
12-25-2013, 10:38 AM
I would give 4 bricks of 22 LR for 895 pounds of wheel weights in an instant. I even happen to have 4 bricks on hand........

Bullshop Junior
12-25-2013, 06:00 PM
The 22 mag issue is the one that bugs me. I bought my first 22 mag rifle over the summer, and when I put down the first payment the gun store had a large amount of 22 mag ammo. By the time I paid the rifle off...I bought the last two boxes off the the shelf and haven't seen a box since

Bullshop Junior
12-25-2013, 06:57 PM
I just found 3 boxes of 22 mag i didnt know I had...was looking for 30/06 ammo but I apperently dont have any.

starmac
12-25-2013, 06:59 PM
Here goes that mean streak again, I know you have seen some, it just isn't for sale. lol

Bullshop Junior
12-25-2013, 07:35 PM
Thats not funny.

Down South
12-25-2013, 10:54 PM
I would give 4 bricks of 22 LR for 895 pounds of wheel weights in an instant. I even happen to have 4 bricks on hand........
Me too. That's a heck of a deal even though I not short on either.