PDA

View Full Version : Did I make a mistake?

Lead melter
11-26-2007, 06:15 PM
Okay, here's the deal. A few months ago I made up 500 45ACP boolits of 1 part WW and 1 part lead for a guy at my local range. He split the cost with another guy and they shot them all up and bragged how they shot. The mold was a Lee 230 gr. RN with LLA. He's been hounding me for more, but I have no more WW [it's scarce in my area].

Yesterday he brought a 30 lb [before smelting] box of WW plus about 15 lb of mixed range lead, mostly shot by another buddy with a 50/90 Sharps, with a 20:1 tin:lead alloy.

So I told guy #1 I would split the weights of the two products 50/50 with him, and make up 500 more ACP boolits of same alloy, plus 265 gr. and 300 gr. 44's for him with the mixed alloy from his half. He provides the metals, I do the labor.
The way I figure it is I get about 17 lb WW, plus about 7 lb 20:1 alloy out of the deal.

He says he is working on another batch of WW from his contacts. The guy works for a NASCAR team, so this might be a good lead into a steady supply of WW.

Question is, did I make a good deal, or am I in the losers bracket?

:veryconfu

imashooter2
11-26-2007, 06:24 PM
Depends... If he shows up with 500 pounds of metal tomorrow are you ready to cast him up 250 pounds of boolits?

Blammer
11-26-2007, 06:30 PM
If your happy and he's happy it's a good deal.

gray wolf
11-26-2007, 06:39 PM
what Blammer said

imashooter2
11-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Hah! Blammer's sig line is absolutely perfect for this thread!

jonk
11-26-2007, 10:24 PM
If you are hard up for lead, this sounds like a fair deal to me. I had a similar one going- I'd give a tire shop owner all the .38 special he cared for in exchange for wheelweights, up to 1/3 the total (eg: if I cast 300 bullets, he'd get 100 loaded- have to make up the cost of powder, etc.) until a board member pointed out the liability issues. He could see the logic in that; so I gave him a Lee loader in .38 special as a special thank you... ergo he can load his own and I still cast him his bullets. He's having so much fun that now he's talking about a press..... which means I have to cast him more bullets... lol! I'm still happy with the arrangement but now I go half and half as powder and primers are no longer my expense.

Winger Ed.
11-28-2007, 11:19 PM
I; so I gave him a Lee loader in .38 special as a special thank you... now he's talking about a press..... which means I have to cast him more bullets.

Cool.
Another side benifit is when you buy new tires--
the discount you'll get will probably be amazing.......

I swap out with my tire guy too. Last month he put 2 new front tires-
just common, everyday, 15" rim, radials on the old Chevy 3/4 ton van.
No waiting, 3 of his guys hit it like a Indy 500 pit stop,
and I was out the door- balanced & all for a hundred dollar bill.

Blammer
11-29-2007, 12:15 PM
I think I'm gonna get a job at a tire shop....

LET-CA
11-29-2007, 12:31 PM
That's the beauty of bartering. Both parties come away with something that they want, and there's no sales tax!

:castmine: