PDA

View Full Version : predator hunting

white eagle
12-24-2013, 01:11 PM
just wondering how many of you all take after predators when the big game seasons are through.
What guns (cal.) do you use ?
I hunt preds.mostly with a 222 rem or a 220 swift ackley improved or a 243 win. for the windy days
I hunt mostly coyote but have taken red and grey fox
good to clean the up a bit to keep em from eating fawns and young of all kinds
A member on this board makes some terrific hand calls ,,Rich Cronk

Smoke4320
12-24-2013, 02:10 PM
switching to coyotes and Hogs in January
will mostly be using a 300 Blackout but might try a few hogs with a 458 Socom and 300 gr LFN just for some fun and research

DHurtig
12-24-2013, 02:24 PM
I've been calling since the mid 80's. Mostly coyotes, but some fox and a few badgers. Have never targeted bobcats or mountain lions. I carry a Contender carbine in either 17 Rem or 22 K Hornet, or a Rem 788 in 222 or a Ruger compact 223 with a 16 1/2" barrel. Depends on the conditions.

I've built and sold over a thousand calls, so I guess I qualify as a call maker also. Just cause I ain't famous, don't mean I ain't good.

Wolfer
12-24-2013, 04:27 PM
I haven't had much luck so far this year. Called in one bobcat that I killed, another I didn't get a shot at and a coyote I missed. I don't start hunting varmints hard until deer season is over. Usually around Jan 1. Mostly I use a 223 with jacketed but last year I killed a few with my 30-06 and 311041 with a deep HP.
I usually squeak a little when I'm deer hunting so I use whatever I'm hunting with.
It's a job that needs to be done in most places. It gives me more time in the woods and I enjoy it immensely. Woody

cricco
12-24-2013, 04:54 PM
I've been predator hunting for about 6 years now. Mostly using an AR-15 and night vision scope. I use a fox pro electronic caller on occasion, but for running multiple sets in a night, I prefer my hand calls.

quilbilly
12-24-2013, 04:59 PM
I usually get started here after the storms knock down the leaves and tall grass on the local tree farms. Hopefully soon but we are in a drought.
Depending on where I hunt and ranges to be expected, I alternate between my 22 Hornet, 7mm TCU, and my 9mm Luger which are all light carbines with CB's, of course. I use mouth calls exclusively and have not been happy with the electronic calls I use. Low volume cottontail or fawn bleats are the best on the Olympic Peninsula. Sadly, virtually all the coyotes have mange so hides are worthless.

bbs70
12-24-2013, 05:47 PM
I haven't had much luck so far this year. Called in one bobcat that I killed, another I didn't get a shot at and a coyote I missed. I don't start hunting varmints hard until deer season is over. Usually around Jan 1. Mostly I use a 223 with jacketed but last year I killed a few with my 30-06 and 311041 with a deep HP.
I usually squeak a little when I'm deer hunting so I use whatever I'm hunting with.
It's a job that needs to be done in most places. It gives me more time in the woods and I enjoy it immensely. Woody

Being in SW Mo I'd think you'd be huntin bacon.

Wolfer
12-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Being in SW Mo I'd think you'd be huntin bacon.

I haven't found any close to me. I hear rumors about hogs somewhere but when I go I can never find them. I got a lead on some about an hour away so I have hopes.
As soon as deer season is over I plan on giving them the old collage try. Woody

Crawdaddy
12-24-2013, 08:53 PM
I do. Typically use a 220 swift, 300 blackout, or 223

Lefty SRH
12-24-2013, 09:19 PM
I plan on trying once deer season closes and again in the spring. Ill likely carry my .308 Scout rifle and or my AR in .223. Maybe even some night time hunting.

crowbuster
12-25-2013, 12:19 AM
Glad to see so many keepin em thinned out. We usually call in between 10-20 in a season. Yes we have a dang season, but can shot problem yotes with written permission from the landowner. We will shoot another 5-10 off a bait pile 300yds from the house. I call daytime only anymore and love my ruger 22-250, 12ga gets a couple each year. Im about 50/50 mouth calls and e-calls, sure is handy to get the sound away from you so they are not focused on your position. Would love to call in a wolf and a bobcat sometime when time allows. Bout the time you think you have these dang coyotes figured out they teach you a new trick. Keep thinnin em out guys.

Lonegun1894
12-25-2013, 04:02 AM
I try, but don't usually get many. This last year has been especially slow, with maybe a dozen attempts and only one coyote to show for it, but unfortunately, that was with a .223 Rem with a jacketed 40gr bullet, as I didn't start casting for the .22s til this last summer and have only shot cast through my Contender and my AR. The Rem 700 is next though.

Jal5
12-25-2013, 11:27 AM
I will try in Jan. -Feb with my AR15 in 223 cal.

You can make a inexpensive electronic caller at home with just a few parts from radio shack and a small MP3 player. Works as good as the expensive ones.

Jal5
12-25-2013, 11:31 AM
Here's the link
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/homemadeecaller.shtml

Made one for about $30. IIRC

NSP64
12-25-2013, 01:31 PM
Been thinking of going out and trying for some song dogs. Made an E caller like Jal5. I was thinking some night hunting (allowed here till feb 15, Then day only the rest of the year).

Anyone download their AR for night shooting?
Mine makes a big flash at night.
Might try some 2400 loads to see if flash is less.

Changeling
12-25-2013, 06:01 PM
I've been using mouth calls for a long time, and they work great! Hundreds of them available, and some real works of art!
However it does take some effort/skill to learn on your part, maybe as much as a few days!
So, I guess my input to this subject is dead after that statement!
Just immagin, you might have to practice/learn something instead of just pushing a button and turning a knob. WOW, unbelieveable.

white eagle
12-25-2013, 06:50 PM
been calling along time I know for a fact that there is alot more to hunting preds than just turning on a button
made some fantastic hand calls out of antlers and howlers out of cow horns
one thing for sure if you think you have the market cornered think again this game is in constant change
there are times when the use of electronic callers work best and others hand calls sometimes both ya never know
but being prepared and willing to switch it up helps

Jal5
12-26-2013, 12:10 AM
All I have ever used & have is mouth calls. But I can see where there is a good advantage to having a remote electronic call taking the predator attention in another direction. Especially if they are wise to the call. Main thing is to hit them and not educate them, keep the hunt-able numbers of deer up and depredations of deer and cattle down.

Got to agree with Bill, they are smart and tricky to hunt e calls or mouth calls and I have used both. Not an easy hunt at all. Joe

missionary5155
12-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Good morning
Have used mouth calls and electronic and they both work when they work. A Remington 788 caliber .243 was my rifle of choice. Last 15 years I just grab any old caliber levergun I am shooting then from 32 up to the 50-95 and enjoy them.
I guess I get as much happiness just getting to be out there. Watching, listening and sometimes being awake enough and alert enough to see one getting near.
I also well enjoy popping crows with a flinter in the last times up north there. Maybe that is just part of the aging and "been there , done that" cycle...
Mike in Peru

HawkCreek
12-26-2013, 11:21 PM
We shoot coyotes on site here on the ranch. Even during dear season I'll bust one if they give me a chance. As a matter of fact I got one right at 400 yards with my .30-06 on the last day of modern firearm season this year.
Today while headed over to feed I stopped the feed truck to take a shot at a coyote that wasn't concerned enough. I missed but I think I shaved the whiskers off the left side of his face, he was really moving after that. Blame the miss on iron sights, mil. surp. .308 ball, or just me makin a bad shot, but don't blame the RGSR! HaHa

300savage
12-27-2013, 07:28 AM
one thing i have learned is that just because you are not seeing them does not mean you are not getting checked out.
in tough calling areas i have found if you can get someone set up anywhere from fifty yards downwind of the call in brushy areas, to a quarter mile even in more open terrain you will be amazed at what you see.
think like a coyote that has been burned and is call wise.
pick a stand that has perhaps exactly what you would not want in a call shy area, say a brushy draw or swale that can hide a coyote circling downwind. believe me he will be smart enough to use it to get a taste of the wind, they never doubt their nose.
you can fool their ears and their eyes, but if you think your scent blocker is going to get you past their nose your a rookie watching too much tv.
thats ok, just get someone in that draw with a shotgun, or on a little elevation a quarter mile downwind where they can reach down into their hidden pathways they are using to circle you unseen.

tomcat388th
12-27-2013, 09:12 PM
For night hunting I use an old rem 722 in 222 rem, ewt 250 kill light during the day savage mod 11 in 22-250. I use a combo of hand calls and a foxpro spitfire with the decoy.

bbs70
01-03-2014, 12:23 AM
Anyone in southern Mo. hunting hogs yet.

jim147
01-03-2014, 01:09 AM
Anyone in southern Mo. hunting hogs yet.

I haven't seen any sign of them yet. I'm too busy trying to get rid of the otters.

jim

Three44s
01-03-2014, 01:35 AM
I am a coyote hunter but not with boolits yet.

I have a MP3 player hooked to a wireless microphone outfit ........ has up to 300 yd. range.

What everybody has posted here is pretty much spot on. Coyotes are a very worthy game species to hunt.

And someone posted about crows ...... they bust you on your stand for predators. Rat you out ........... everytime!

I'll tell you what used to make night hunting for coyotes exciting: Owls! Good thing they can see your red light. You hear a swooshing sound approaching ...... you'd better get your light on it ......... or they'll give you a haircut!

My calibers run from .22 Hornet to whatever I have handy.

Years ago my brother shot one at night @ 180 yds. with his .300 Win Mag. front end on in the chest ......... he said it went over backwards 1 1/2 times airborne ...... I think him and his friends had to get over laughing before the predator hunt continued!

But whereas owls were the most spooky thing of years past ........ now we have more black bears than we ever had ........ but Now, we also are "blessed" with cougars.

How's a midnight cat scan sound?

E callers vs. mouth calls:

I would say the best thing about an e-call is that it draws the predator's eyes to that instead of you! More folks lose a good stand because they can't get their chosen weapon ready without spooking off Mr. Coyote. What I don't like about e callers has been fixed with the more expensive later models .... quick changing sounds under pressure (the predator is CLOSE but needs just a wee bit more encouragement) and NOT blasting out too much sound .........

The best mix I think is a e call for the big draw and then you get your weapon ready and switch to a hand call. You have your weapon at the ready and you bring your target right up close and personal if it's meant to be. This elicits intrigue in the predator ... perceived movement (the sound shifted) and changing of sounds and or volumes .........

Two last things:

One is to use ONLY enough volume with any call to get the job done. At a new stand, call soft to see if somebody is close and interested. Then boom out for a little while to start the long range animals. Then dial back to a moderate level. When you spot something ........ STOP calling ....... if it's coming in ..... it ain't broke ........... YOU DON"T FIX WHAT"S NOT BROKE! ......... if it stops ........ give it a little sound .........

If it still hangs up ........ switch to another appropriate sound. Only use what is necessary to keep them moving in ...... they don't have to CHARGE in ....... just let them work in.

The second is that more set ups are wrecked because the hunter(s) were busted before they even started calling ........ before they EVEN made to the stand.

Your stand approach is likely the most overlooked thing in your gig! Approach wisely! Use a ridge line as a cover! Come in on one side quietly ....... remember, they have SUPER HEARING and EYESIGHT and SMELL! Then very carefully ease over the ridge top UNDETECTED and make a stand with MINIMUM exposure of being busted.

Now, I broke my promise of "two" ...... there's a third:

Three: Consider coyote language! It is dynamite this time of year! This is breeding season! They are very agitated over WHOOPY! This makes them VERY suscpetable to their own "smack" (talk).

The problem is that most don't practice with open reed calls ........ they do take work ........ but you kind of live with one and mimick what nature is saying to you! You can do all sorts of sounds with an open reed call ........ not just predators ......... prey calls can be done to a satisfactory degree with them!

But the best coyote combo I know of is this: A male territorial challenge and a coyote pup in distress!

Coyotes have no qualms beating up their own pups ........ but they fly into a RAGE when a tresspasser beats up one of theirs much less begins killing them!

It will NOT work if you are busted but it's a recipe for a stand of a lifetime if you are lucky and good at sneeking to your set up!

Good luck and good calling!

Three 44s

Wolfer
01-03-2014, 07:07 PM
Three 44s
As an old dog hunter I can tell you have been there/ done that. Your spot on, especially about the call volume and sneaking in to your stand.
Your right, most people are busted before they ever start to call. Woody