PDA

View Full Version : Worlds cheapest, easiest to build gas check maker

reloader28
12-24-2013, 01:28 AM
First off, I am by no means trying to take away from Freechex or Pat Marlin. They have excellent products and if I had the money I would have bought another from one of them as I already have 2. I dont have the money but I had materials and a little time and I needed gas checks. You need about an hour unless you know what your doing. I dont.

I will try and explain this good because the wife has to do the pictures and she's not here. If anyone cant understand it and is interested maybe I can get her to do it tommorow.

This is for a 30cal maker.
I started with a 6x6"x1 1/4" thick steel block. I like the heft so it dont move around and it gives me 3 more corners for possibly other calibers. Close to a corner, I drilled a 3/8" hole all the way thru.
Then drill another hole, but only about 3/4 the way thru. Change to a 5/16" and finish the second hole all the way thru. That one is the cup forming hole and other than deburing it, its done.

Now I used an electric handheld bandsaw (a hacksaw would work but take awhile) and cut a slit into the corner of the plate and clear thru the first hole. This is where I slide the check metal to punch the disc. After deburing, the disc cutter hole is done.

Now I used a small lathe (that I'm trying to figure out) and made 2 punches that are just enough smaller than 3/8" to fit in the holes smoothly. One of these is the disc cutter and that part is all done now.
On the end 1/4"-3/8" or so of the other punch (long enough to push the check out the bottom), I took it down to .286 diameter and that forms the inside of the cup.

Thats it. Your done. I dont know how to run a lathe and this didnt take me long at all. If you dont have a lathe but have a machine shop buddy, I garrantee he can make this whole durn thing in about 10 minutes.
I know this might be hard to picture in your head and I dont know how to explain it better, but I will have the wife put on some pictures. I'm sure I not the only one who is broke but needs gas checks. This is so easy its stupid and seems to be working fine. I dont know how long it will be before it wears out, but if you can make the tolerances closer than I can, I think it would last quite awhile.
I did fire a few and they seem to work good, but it was almost to dark to see and a below 0 wind chill.

If someone has already made something like this and posted it, I didnt see it and am not trying to take any credit from anyone. I thought this was unique to me and wanted to pass on what I came up with.

I suppose this should actually go in the gas check forum, but since it took me about 45 minutes to type this, I'm not retyping. I will let the mods move it if they want.

nhrifle
12-24-2013, 01:39 AM
I would definitely be interested in some pics when you get them posted. I think I can almost picture it, but would be good to have a visual.

Jupiter7
12-24-2013, 02:04 AM
Not to take away from your design or victory. But very similar to the edsmith version in below thread. Either way, good job!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?150997-hand-tool-made-check-maker

longbow
12-24-2013, 02:07 AM
I can picture it alright and it is a good idea and simple. By locating the disc punch at the corner there is less metal to cut the slot in.

It is a great idea if you want to make several (up to 4) check makers in one handy block.

I went a slightly different route and not really any more complicated. I made a punch like a gasket punch to punch out discs then made a simple female die much like yours but using round bar (I have a small lathe) and a male punch to form the cups probably just like yours. I'll see if I can find the post and put the link here... there we go:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?82989-Another-Home-Made-Gas-Check-Maker&highlight=gas+check+maker

I added a piece of rubber hose on the male punch shank under the shoulder, partly to absorb shock and partly to make the punch rebound to drop the cups better.

Here's another simple one by Ed Smith:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?150997-hand-tool-made-check-maker/page2&highlight=gas+check+maker

(scroll to post #36)

I think it is interesting how different folks approach these things. There is always a slightly different take on things and when it is shared we all learn something.

I think your idea is really good as you could have 4 check makers on one block of steel ~ less bits to have rolling around!

While these hammer powered gas check makers are a bit slow, they do not bad and there is an advantage too ~ I use old gutter for my checks now. I had some old aluminum gutter laying around and it was 0.019" thick so "way too thick for gas checks ~ NOT!" It works perfectly. The checks are a bit deeper than with thinner material because it draws a little as it thins but they work well. Generally you can find old gutters and roof flashing around for no money. Yes, I am cheap!

Longbow

reloader28
12-24-2013, 02:55 AM

The wife made it home and put on the pictures.

Man, that stinks. I thought I had something original and it ends up being just another "same thing, different day".
Oh well, it works and didnt cost me anything. Maybe some noobes will be able to use this and in a year or so someone else is going make one and say "Hey look what I came up with!"

I am going to use the 3 other corners though and try some other calibers, too. I started on .45 which I think will make .44 plain base checks, but my 9/16" drill bit was to rough to make a clean cut. I'll probly wack that side off and get 3 fresh corners.
Its not a fast machine, but it does work.:grin:

One thing to add though, You dont have to cut exact size strips for this. I just run my sign around and when I've punched holes all the way around, I cut them off and start around it again.

Longbow, I think I have some gutter laying around. I'm going to look, thanks.

Crawdaddy
12-24-2013, 01:45 PM
Consider this idea stolen! I will now have another winter project. Thanks for sharing.

KLR
12-24-2013, 02:25 PM
Great idea! Thanks for posting.

CastingFool
12-24-2013, 02:32 PM
It's still a great idea, even though someone else had thought of it earlier. Thanks.

forfun
12-24-2013, 04:06 PM
great idea thanks

geargnasher
12-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Not the first, but probably the simplest I've seen, thank you very much for posting this. A person who's handy with a drill press and hack saw should be able to make a forming punch out of plain, round rod. A little work at a grinder wheel with a broken 3/8" drill shank should make a good cutter.

Gear

tygar
12-24-2013, 05:09 PM
All 3 are great ideas. Made me think about punches, especially the rotary punch tool I used to use to work on saddles, reins, tack etc.

I bet any of you could make a few bucks if you wanted to make some for sale.

I know I'd be interested so let me be #1 if you do.
Thanks
Tom

leadman
12-24-2013, 05:20 PM
This looks like a simple tool to make. I may modify it some and use my little Harbor Freight arbor press to punch and form the discs.

Shiloh
12-24-2013, 06:13 PM
I would definitely be interested in some pics when you get them posted. I think I can almost picture it, but would be good to have a visual.

+1

Shiloh