PDA

View Full Version : It happened. 2.30am sunday morning.

waynem34
12-23-2013, 08:05 PM
2:20am sunday morning.Mom hears a noise at the back door.She sits up on the side of her bed.The next thing she heard was the facial board from the door fall in the floor.She then decided to leave out the front door and went to the neighbors house crying and scared.She stopped the neighbor from going in with a pistol.Probly a good thing cause guy prolly would have shot em maybe.Lots of neighbors close by so not good to be popping off alot of rounds.They stole a small tv.Mom is ok.Man I hate people. My mom is 84 years old last friday.Be safe.Merry Christmas.

Bad Water Bill
12-23-2013, 08:11 PM
Tell your mom that a TV is a lot easier to replace than she is.

Tell her "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" from all of us.

clownbear69
12-23-2013, 08:16 PM
I have to ask what are the plans for her home security now?

waynem34
12-23-2013, 08:22 PM
I have to ask what are the plans for her home security now? There is not much to be done.Stronger door ,bigger dog.If she had a gun she would not kill.I'm still think about it,so Im not sure what to do.I need help.Thats for sure.

uscra112
12-23-2013, 08:27 PM
Get right on it. Where they succeed once, they'll be back for more.

waynem34
12-23-2013, 08:34 PM
I doubt they will come back.We are poor, they took the only thing she had worth any money.Its not all good but I guess its not all bad, but it sucks.

w5pv
12-23-2013, 08:38 PM
I hate thieves,period

waynem34
12-23-2013, 08:45 PM
I doubt they will come back.We are poor, they took the only thing she had worth any money.Its not all good but I guess its not all bad, but it sucks.

I really regret making this statement.Poor could not be farther from the truth.I am rich because I have my mother and she is a saint.

starnbar
12-23-2013, 08:47 PM
Waynem don't be so sure they won't be back had a guy rob the same 7/11 3 times before we got him. Easy pickings are just too tempting for these people and your mom is worth more than all the money in the world.

cbrick
12-23-2013, 08:56 PM
I hate thieves, period

Somebody like that is much worse than just a common thief. That's someone that quite intentionally targets the weakest, most defenseless they can find because they are spineless. Someone like that is lower than pond scum.

I'm glad Mom's ok. Hope you consider some type of security even if something as simple as a siren when a door or window is opened, pond scum hates for their presence to be pointed out.

Rick

georgerkahn
12-23-2013, 08:59 PM
My sincere wishes to your mom after this ordeal! Many, after similar, find sleep a memory with totally unrelated noises-- e.g., a tree branch, or rain against a window --more than disturbing. As a hunter training (firearms) instructor I am oft queried as to what may be the best home defense weapon, with this question oft asked as, "rifle, shotgun, or pistol?". Bion, my answer is 'none of the above' -- my recommendation is a can of name brand wasp & bee spray. Many have a 20' to 30' range, and -- 'though I have thankfully never had the need to put it to the test -- seems like a product which might deter the bad guys/guyettes, provide a level of security, and -- God forbid -- keep from shooting a friend, neighbor, or relation... Obviously, the eyes would be aimed at. Just a thought.

Best!
geo

Bad Water Bill
12-23-2013, 09:11 PM
Check with your local Radio Shack for the least expensive setup for a sire at both the front and back door.

Perhaps someone else can suggest an inexpensive system and how to install it.

And yes the hornet spray near at hand is a very good idea.

waksupi
12-23-2013, 09:23 PM
Go to the local gun shop. Get some old long gun boxes, with a nice big logo. Leave one propped up along side the door. If it gets weathered, replace. May be just the ticket to run off a scum bag.

waynem34
12-23-2013, 09:24 PM
Roger that hornet spray.Got brackets for back door to put 2x6 across.Now need to do the front.Mom has a mod 49 5 shot now.I guess the crack man will get it because she wouldnt shoot ya.She might accidentally shoot you but not on purpose.Might see bout the bear spray and mase for her.

Bad Water Bill
12-23-2013, 09:37 PM
Just a shot fired will probably send the slimeball running down the street looking for a place to ditch his soiled panties.

Suggest some places she can aim at without causing any real damage to her home.

Charlie Two Tracks
12-23-2013, 10:07 PM
Get a motion light and wire it to a siren. When the motion light goes off, so does the siren.

HeavyMetal
12-23-2013, 10:56 PM
You'll need to do more than block the doors, barring his re entry will only get him to move to a window or celler entrance.

By the way he will be back if only because he knows your Mom will now have a new TV to replace the one he stole!

If Mom won't shoot take the Model 49 home with you, it doesn't need to go home with the wrong person, or worse, be used on your Mom.

The Hornet spray or any good brand of Pepper spray is a good idea, CC tv survalliance better, a call to lEO's for more drive by's may let them get lucky ( it happens) More neighbor involvement really needs to happen here and the pitch there is it happened to your Mom and it will happen to them because he now knows where everyone is

waynem34
12-23-2013, 10:57 PM
Thanks to all who have suggested different ideas and things.All have been noted and i will report back.Thank you and ,merry christmas.

clownbear69
12-23-2013, 11:04 PM
There is not much to be done.Stronger door ,bigger dog.If she had a gun she would not kill.I'm still think about it,so Im not sure what to do.I need help.Thats for sure.

A door is only as strong as the mounts it uses. That's its heel. When you set it up you like 3" screws that go more into the stud. Still not end all solution but adds time. Now I don't know what kind of neighborhood you live in but if the community doesn't already use bars over the windows id recommend getting them. If your community doesn't I wouldn't. But there is a lamination that goes on windows that reinforces to prevent them from breaking.

As far as a weapon, if she wont shoot no use giving her a gun. Get bear spray. effect inexpensive and still has the same distance as a tazer.... just my .02

MaryB
12-24-2013, 12:00 AM
If he saw your mom and knows she is old he may be back looking for drugs, older people often have lots of them including pain meds that have a high street value.

CastingFool
12-24-2013, 12:04 AM
A door is only as strong as the mounts it uses. That's its heel. When you set it up you like 3" screws that go more into the stud. Still not end all solution but adds time. Now I don't know what kind of neighborhood you live in but if the community doesn't already use bars over the windows id recommend getting them. If your community doesn't I wouldn't. But there is a lamination that goes on windows that reinforces to prevent them from breaking.

As far as a weapon, if she wont shoot no use giving her a gun. Get bear spray. effect inexpensive and still has the same distance as a tazer.... just my .02

the weakest point is the door jamb, where the lock bolt goes into the jamb. We had a break in about 10yrs ago, and the jamb was shattered. There is a product called Night Lock that prevents a door from being kicked in. Go to nightlock.com and check it out. Go to shattergard.com, to check out the window film. If you're handy, you can install it yourself.

Bad Water Bill
12-24-2013, 12:18 AM
Menards sells 1/4 X 3 X 36" steel stock. Stagger the holes and mount the bar to the door frame by the deadbolt with 3" drywall screws directly into the 2 studs in the door frame. Replace the hinge screws with the same drywall screws. One small box should do the job for both places on both doors.

Total cost per door less than $5.00 and they will never kick it in.

Blacksmith
12-24-2013, 12:31 AM
A siren or a horn loud enough to wake the neighbors that she can activate if she needs help. It sounds like some of them will come running to help. Tell the other neighbors if they hear the noise call the police, multiple calls get faster response. You, Her, and get all the neighbors to call the local politicians to "Do something about the high crime rate." Calls from the local elected officials will quickly get the police to make a show of force to at least appear to be doing something. This will cause the bad guys to move on at least temporarily.

Bullshop Junior
12-24-2013, 12:38 AM
I would be getting her a small gun, and convincing her that shooting intruders in the nuts would be a good thing, not bad.

Bad Water Bill
12-24-2013, 12:40 AM
A siren or a horn loud enough to wake the neighbors that she can activate if she needs help. It sounds like some of them will come running to help. Tell the other neighbors if they hear the noise call the police, multiple calls get faster response. You, Her, and get all the neighbors to call the local politicians to "Do something about the high crime rate." Calls from the local elected officials will quickly get the police to make a show of force to at least appear to be doing something. This will cause the bad guys to move on at least temporarily.

That is what we did a couple years back.

ANY call to 911 had a squad on our street in 3 minutes or less. Yes the bad guy is now in the GREY BAR HOTEL.

alamogunr
12-24-2013, 12:47 AM
I'm sorry threads like this exist but glad that there are those that care and post many ideas for increased security. I sincerely hope the OP's mother is not traumatized to the point she no longer feels secure. Maybe implementation of some of these suggestions will her regain that feeling.

Many of us are headed toward an age when we need increased security for our own peace of mind. If something were to happen to me, my spouse would be left alone, determined to stay in "her" house. I need to prepare for that possibility. A gun would do her no good whatsoever. I'm going to keep monitoring this thread.

Bad Water Bill
12-24-2013, 12:49 AM
The lady is 84 and not going to change her way of thinking now.

Even if she did decide to shoot at the intruder he would be safe. A senior like her would be so rattled she could not hit the nearest WALL.

Believe me.

I am 77 with all of my friends and relatives older than me. Only 2 of them could hit him and they are both vets.

waynem34
12-24-2013, 01:26 AM
Thanks again.Mom is tough.She is cooler than the other side of the piller.She was a teacher for 30+ years toddlers and 2 and 3 year olds.

357maximum
12-24-2013, 01:39 AM
I get paid to open doors that were meant to be shut.....knobs and deadbolts are mainly for looks..PERIOD...get her a dog that sounds "big"....Canine security....... going strong and deterring those that need not be since the first wolf puppy was brought into the cave.

Bad Water Bill
12-24-2013, 01:48 AM
A sausage hound would serve her well. They know no fear and make enough noise to sound like a shepherd.

They eat very little and are very affectionate.

clownbear69
12-24-2013, 02:22 AM
A sausage hound would serve her well. They know no fear and make enough noise to sound like a shepherd.

They eat very little and are very affectionate.

that a fact I have had 3 in my life so far. Newest one (Phoebe) maybe 6 months already barks at the slightest rustle from one of my kids. Also tried to nip the cable man I had to get her to be submissive on that one. They do breed pure black one (expensive and usually special order) but that's a shadow I don't want to mess with

MaryB
12-24-2013, 02:27 AM
My lab when she was alive would bark then lick anyone who came in...

Col4570
12-24-2013, 02:51 AM
A couple we know had an incident where a shotgun was used.The husband was away working in the middle East.His wife was in bed when she heard a noise.Going down stairs and turning on the lights to see the back door handle turning but the door was locked.She called out and asked who it was and there was no answer.She shoved her Husbands 12 Gauge through the Letter box and fired.This woke the neighbourhood and the Police soon arrived.No one was hurt in this event,she got a severe reprimand from the police and the matter was dropped.They still live at the same place and have had no repeat attempts.In the UK we cannot hold any firearm for self defense b ut it does show the effectiveness of them.She shot the gun in sheer panic,I hate to think that it could have been a Child or someone who couldn't speak trying the Door.

clownbear69
12-24-2013, 02:59 AM
A couple we know had an incident where a shotgun was used.The husband was away working in the middle East.His wife was in bed when she heard a noise.Going down stairs and turning on the lights to see the back door handle turning but the door was locked.She called out and asked who it was and there was no answer.She shoved her Husbands 12 Gauge through the Letter box and fired.This woke the neighbourhood and the Police soon arrived.No one was hurt in this event,she got a severe reprimand from the police and the matter was dropped.They still live at the same place and have had no repeat attempts.In the UK we cannot hold any firearm for self defense b ut it does show the effectiveness of them.She shot the gun in sheer panic,I hate to think that it could have been a Child or someone who couldn't speak.

Hate to say it but that sure sounds like Joe Biden advice......

Col4570
12-24-2013, 05:50 AM
Please enlighten me who Joe Biden is.
Regards.

Mike in TX
12-24-2013, 08:16 AM
Regards.

US illustrious VP A Jerk, a fool and corrupt

375supermag
12-24-2013, 08:25 AM

You forgot "idiot"...just trying to help

cbrick
12-24-2013, 08:31 AM

I dunno Mike, not to sure he's smart enough to qualify as a fool.

Rick

Geraldo
12-24-2013, 08:42 AM
First, don't get convinced that there was any reason they targeted your mom. Drugs do not make people smarter, so it could have been because he's seen your mom and thought it would be easy, or maybe he stumbled along and picked the first house he liked.

Second, exterior lighting with motion sensors and harden points of entry. If you don't want to run electric, there are solar powered lights that aren't too bad.

Third, popping off a shot to scare someone isn't a real good idea. It would be bad luck to put that shot though a window or wall and hit a neighbor.

Fourth: pepper or bug spray. Does your mom have any respiratory issues? If she does, lighting up the house with some kind of spray might be a real bad idea for her.

Finally, while you're making her house harder to get into, don't make it too hard for her to get out of. You don't want her trapped if there's ever a fire and while it might not be what you'd do, escape worked for her in this case.

Bad Water Bill
12-24-2013, 09:07 AM
A couple we know had an incident where a shotgun was used.The husband was away working in the middle East.His wife was in bed when she heard a noise.Going down stairs and turning on the lights to see the back door handle turning but the door was locked.She called out and asked who it was and there was no answer.She shoved her Husbands 12 Gauge through the Letter box and fired.This woke the neighbourhood and the Police soon arrived.No one was hurt in this event,she got a severe reprimand from the police and the matter was dropped.They still live at the same place and have had no repeat attempts.In the UK we cannot hold any firearm for self defense b ut it does show the effectiveness of them.She shot the gun in sheer panic,I hate to think that it could have been a Child or someone who couldn't speak trying the Door.

I have heard of far to many times where a defenseless female was raped and murdered because the killer had nothing to fear.

My neighbor woke up to someone trying to kick in her front door. One round thru the door convinced the kicker to go away.

In the next town another young lady had a would be rapist at her front door describing just what his intentions were. He was convinced to look elsewhere when she sent him a lead message.

No she was never bothered again.

Good for your friend. The lady may have had to listen to a cop BUT she is still alive to tell about it.

popper
12-24-2013, 10:23 AM
Wife's aunts & BIL's aunts had the same problem and it wasn't just robbery but sexual assault as well. She needs some kind of audible alarm to warn her so she can escape. RS used to have a magnetic operated alarm that you could put on the door, but they are batt. powered and had to be set (put one on the daughter's door when she was in school). Find something AC powered if possible. Around here they break in day or night.

Bad Water Bill
12-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Wife's aunts & BIL's aunts had the same problem and it wasn't just robbery but sexual assault as well. She needs some kind of audible alarm to warn her so she can escape. RS used to have a magnetic operated alarm that you could put on the door, but they are batt. powered and had to be set (put one on the daughter's door when she was in school). Find something AC powered if possible. Around here they break in day or night.

In case you do not know it,simply removing an electric meter is very easy and safe.

Takes less than a minute to do.

Now there is 0 power in the structure to trigger ANY device.

Battery power will be your best friend but again YOU are responsible for maintaining them.

clownbear69
12-24-2013, 11:28 AM
Regards.

Crazy Uncle Joe is the VP. He was most notable in saying that for defense is all you need is a Double barrel shotgun and just shooting it aimlessly in the air would scare any would be criminal. He also was quoted in saying to shoot it through the front door IE not identifying your target. He then later said this advice was only meant for his wife yet he said it for the nation. Many of youtube video on just this case by him.

WILCO
12-24-2013, 01:48 PM
I doubt they will come back.

Good luck with that line of thought.

Bad Water Bill
12-24-2013, 01:59 PM
They will probably be back this week hoping to collect moms Christmas gifts and pawn the gifts to fund their New Years party.

trapper9260
12-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Crazy Uncle Joe is the VP. He was most notable in saying that for defense is all you need is a Double barrel shotgun and just shooting it aimlessly in the air would scare any would be criminal. He also was quoted in saying to shoot it through the front door IE not identifying your target. He then later said this advice was only meant for his wife yet he said it for the nation. Many of youtube video on just this case by him.

I have read somewhere that someone had done just what this so call VP and got them self have the law on them and had to pay for it.I do not remember where i had read about it.

waynem34
12-24-2013, 03:11 PM
I have help now.Im lucky to be the youngest out of 8.One of my brothers decided to come stay some.My systers are great also bought mom big tv.Trying to get systers and mom to go to range together.Got couple cans of hornet spray.Mom has issues with her hands ,so I dont think she can use the hornet spray or gun.I hate being so mad and hateful feeling.I live within walking distance bout a mile or so.I guess Ill be getting that exercise I've been needing.Heaven help the sob if He runs up on me.

Bad Water Bill
12-24-2013, 03:52 PM
Wayne

There is an attachment I saw somewhere that fits over the top of a spray can and you just squeeze the trigger on the front of the attachment

Found some

http://www.amazon.com/Handler-Aerosol-Trigger-Attachment-Aervoe/dp/B001A5TD0C
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Stops-Rust-High-Performance-Comfort-Spray-Grip-Accessory-241526/100670383#

There are more places but this should get you started and YES they do work for us older folks.[smilie=1:

GabbyM
12-24-2013, 04:00 PM
I'd suggest a brand new TV with a tracking devise installed.

Hard locking a home when you're 84 years of age and living alone isn't such a great idea.
EMT's need to be able to get in during an ambulance call.

MaryB
12-25-2013, 01:03 AM
bean bag gun? http://www.armausa.com/purchase/arma-100-kit/

Recluse
12-25-2013, 04:25 AM
Easy-Off Oven Cleaner will take care of the crackhead and nobody but nobody can argue with a woman having a can of oven cleaner in her house at any given time of the year.

Dog is a good idea, but at 84 she would need to be able, physically and emotionally, to care for it properly.

Scumbag burglars hate noise more than anything, with light coming in a close second. Way back in the day when I was running around in uniform, I took part in an Urban Warfare school. One of the simplest things we learned how to do was to string together cans or bottles or containers and attach them across POE (points of entry) so that any intruder would inadvertently make some noise, which would awaken (or alert) us to his/their presence.

Rinse out some empty beer cans and string them together. A couple of paper clips--one on each end--bend into hooks, and then a couple of small upholstery nails about mid-thigh in height by the doors will do it. Have your mom rig these every night before she goes to bed. If you want to spend money, go to a hobby or crafts store and get some cowbells or those big jingle bells and string them up or add them to the string of beer cans.

Scumbag comes in, it'll make a racket. It will also tell her WHICH entrance the SOB is breaching, allowing her to exit through the other door while calling the police. Add some low-cost solar powered motion sensor lights above the doors, and she'll sleep a lot better.

:coffee:

Bad Water Bill
12-25-2013, 09:41 PM
My inlaws were in their late 80s and lived in a 3 room apartment on the 3rd floor in Essen Germany.

At least 3 times a day they took Heiko for a walk.

That dog did NOT know what the word fear meant. When they visited the dog came here as well.

I was walking him one night when the town terror tomcat jumped out at Heiko. 2 days later the fire dept finally took the cat down from the telephone pole. And I watched him brace himself when a Shepard came charging.

Yes a Dachshund would be great .

1 dog high,2 dogs long and FOUR dogs loud. Who could ask for more for your mom.

Three-Fifty-Seven
12-26-2013, 03:53 PM
back ...

waynem34
12-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Ive been watching.

Three-Fifty-Seven
12-26-2013, 04:22 PM
away!

Moonie
12-26-2013, 11:54 PM
I wouldn't suggest one for someone 84 years old but we are picking up a Great Pyrenees puppy Saturday, protection for our teenage daughters when they are home alone.

The above is an example of the breed