PDA

View Full Version : Another Hospital Visit

jcwit
12-23-2013, 07:48 PM
Off to the Hospital tonight, got a sliver "wood?" I think in my foot, 2 days now getting sore. VA Nurse says get in there and have it taken care of, probably right, I'm diabetic. What a way to start the Christmas Eve.

At least I'm not as bad as some here, may my prayers go out to all of you who have medical issues, big or small.

May God Bless you all this Christmas Season.

Jon

blackthorn
12-24-2013, 01:41 AM
Right!! Stay on top of it! Us old boys with Diabetices can't be too carefull! Merry Christmas!

Wayne Smith
12-24-2013, 10:05 AM
Absolutely stay on it. Fight the infection topically and with antibiotics. Your blood system is not good in your feet, so stay on the topical strongly. Talk to your MD about the most effective topical and get it.

w5pv
12-24-2013, 12:18 PM
Thank you for your service.don't wait get it done,God Bless you and Merry Christmas.

theperfessor
12-24-2013, 01:54 PM
Get on it right away! Don't let anything like that linger.

Merry Christmas, may you expeience the best possible outcome.

jcwit
12-24-2013, 05:50 PM
Turned out to be little to get worried about, YUP sliver there and just a start of infection, prescribed antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs, and to keep a close eye on it. I really wondered if it was all that big a deal but Nurse & Dr. both said that any thing wrong with a foot was cause to have it checked out. Especially if one is diabetic. Glad I did.

perfessor, your situation was the reason I went ahead and checked with the VA about this, and without you even knowing, THANKS.

theperfessor
12-24-2013, 05:56 PM
We all need to have each other's six, glad you got things checked right away. Have a Merry Christmas!

jcwit
12-24-2013, 06:41 PM
And back at you, Best to you and your's this Christmas Eve.

Beau Cassidy
12-25-2013, 09:53 PM
Antibiotics are nice but in feet, antifungals are also to be strongly considered. I hope everything turns out well.

jcwit
12-25-2013, 11:25 PM
Everything was going good till last night when I took my Naproxen. Been sick all day and I mean sick, much worse than having the flu. Guess I'm allergic to Naproxen, going to call the Dr. in morning to see what can be done if anything. Obviously not taking any more of those pills. Heart rate has run 110 all day even when laying in bed.

Beau Cassidy
12-25-2013, 11:46 PM
Have your blood sugars been going crazy? How does the foot look?

MaryB
12-25-2013, 11:49 PM
Naproxyn rips up the stomach, makes me puke. Can also affect the heart so you may be allergic.

jcwit
12-26-2013, 09:22 AM
Foot still is tender, from all outward appearances it seems to be healing OK, and sugars are a little high for no more than I've been eating. But not enough to take an extra shot. Going to stay away from that Naproxen, one pill was enough. Heart rate has been going down slightly.

Wayne Smith
12-26-2013, 09:25 AM
Blood sugars usually go haywire when we are ill. If they haven't this has not gone systemic and that is good.

theperfessor
12-26-2013, 09:37 AM
My blood sugar always goes up when I have any kind of infection. I can tell a day before any other symptoms appear that I'm coming down with a cold or flu. Bad thing is if you up insulin dose to compensate then you have to be real careful blood sugar doesn't dip too low as you get over infection. Test your blood sugar often.

Walmart has $0.19 test strips now, a really good deal.

Beau Cassidy
12-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Blood sugars usually go haywire when we are ill. If they haven't this has not gone systemic and that is good.

That is what I was getting at but didn't want to say it.

OBIII
12-26-2013, 04:19 PM
It's contagious. My daughter is not diabetic, but she was putting out Christmas presents Christmas Eve. and kicked the wooden ottoman between her little toe and the next. Swelled, up, painful, but due to Christmas, we did not get her into the Dr. until today. She did break it, but not too severely. Little toe is now taped to the next toe, and she has to wear a boot for a while. In the end, everything worked out. Happy New Year everyone, and stay away from the ottomans. :)
OB

GaryN
12-26-2013, 11:13 PM
My blood sugar always goes up when I have any kind of infection. I can tell a day before any other symptoms appear that I'm coming down with a cold or flu. Bad thing is if you up insulin dose to compensate then you have to be real careful blood sugar doesn't dip too low as you get over infection. Test your blood sugar often.

Walmart has $0.19 test strips now, a really good deal.

Nice tip, thanks. I don't have diabetes but my wife does. I do buy a few strips though.

jcwit
12-26-2013, 11:39 PM
Yes, get those test strips are cheap insurance to know whats up.

theperfessor
12-27-2013, 12:24 AM
I am going to switch over to the Walmart strips. They are cheaper off the shelf than my Accu-check strips are AFTER my insurance pays their part. And meters are like ink jet printers - they just about give you the things and make their money off the consummables.

Being able to test your blood sugar five times a day for less than a dollar is a bargain.

jcwit
12-27-2013, 01:48 PM
Things are much better today, foot is healing fine, sugar is down in normal area for me, heart rate is back to norm, and food even tasts good. Only good thing about this whole experience I can think of is I lost some weight.

Thanks much for those here that cared, and their support.

gbrown
12-27-2013, 02:05 PM
Great news! Take care of yourself--wounds to extremeties--with diabetes are not to be taken lightly, as you well know. A small blister (>1/8 inch) on a toe took the life of my grandmother 40 years ago. My wife has type 2 and she is constantly on guard--with reminders from me. Keep up the right lifestyle and be careful.