PDA

View Full Version : 45 Colt in Leverguns

KCSO
12-23-2013, 03:40 PM
I am asked constantly why it is that Marlin, Winchester ect never made a levergun in 45 Colt Caliber. I have read several explanations for this including Paco kellys thesis that Colt would not license the cartridge for anyone else. None of these stand up in my mind. If for example Colt didn't want to license the ctg for other users, why did they use Winchester's 44-40 for their rifles, both Burgess and Lightning? And if there were a beneift to the 45 Colt as a rifle round surely we would have had a 45 Marlin, or a 45 Smith and Wesson long, same as the 44-40 Marlin.

I am afraid the answer lies in the cartridge itself as made prior to 1900...

All the early 45 Colt rounds I have on hand made prior to 1900 including, Peters, WTC, Winchester, Remington and US Army are ballon headed narror rimmed cases with a groove ahead of the rim ranging from shallow and narro to almost non existant. Mdern 45 Colt rounds have a very deep groove ranging from 28 to 32 thousnads deeper and 10 to 15 thousnads wider that the baloon headed cases. Using Baloon headed cases in several different guns ranging from Rossi to Marlin and Taurus. The older cases all at one time or another will fail to extract as the extractor slips over the rim. This doesn,t happen with modern cases as there is a much deeper wider extractor groove.

The second problem/ dilemma with the 45 Colt as a lever gun round is case shape. There is no denying that a cone shaped ctg sliding into a cone shaped chamber feeds much better that a cylinder going into another cylinder. This is why most all of the 45 colt rifles either leak at low pressure or exhibit bulged cases. You have to have a sloppy chamber to permit proper feeding. I have yet to cast a 45 rifle chamber that isn't larger than the corresponding chamber on a revolver. Yes even the vaunted Marlin Cowboy chamber is looser than a revolver. Actuall the best platform for the 45 Colt in a lever gun is the 73 with it's almost straight line feeding.

Poblem 3 is that there was no ballistic advantage of the 45 Colt over the 44-40. The heavier bullet of the Colt was more than offset by the higher velocity of the 44-40. A average 1880's period 44-40 round chronographs at 1350 fps from a 20" rifle barrel and the Colt 45 will run 1150. This is with period ammunition in a modern gun.

In 1880 if you wanted a 45 round for your levergun you just picked the 45-60 and got an advantage over the 44-40. And you had a longer case that was tapered enough to feed and seal well and you got the extra knock down power. The 45 Colt just wasn't needed or wanted as a rifle round. The miltiary neither needed or wanted rapid fire and interchangable pistol rifle ammo and the Cowboy who wanted this simply bought the 44-40 in his choice of platforms.

None of this is meant to knock the MODERN 45 Colt as a rifle round as with smokless powder the old Colt can creep quite close to the B/P 45-70 in power. If you can stand a little case bulging and occasional sooty case it's a darn fine cowboy shooting round too.

ReloaderFred
12-23-2013, 09:33 PM
The small rim, or lack thereof, and no extractor groove is the key to the answer. Nobody wanted a single shot leveraction rifle. It wasn't until the extractor grooves were cut in the more modern cases that leveraction rifles in .45 Colt came into being.

Hope this helps.

Fred

w30wcf
12-26-2013, 09:42 PM
Another reason is that it appears that Winchester did not wish to chamber their '73 nor '92 rifles for cartridges that that they did not design.

Awhile back I did test some original U.M.C. .45 Colt B.P. cartridges in a 24" barrel and they averaged a respectable 1,242 f.p.s. with the 250 gr. bullet. I did have to replace the long since dead mercuric primers with fresh Remington 2 1/2 's. By comparison, 40 grs. of Goex FFG was over 100 f.p.s. slower.

Obviously, the b.p. used in those vintage cartridges had a higher ballistic strength than modern day Goex.

This past summer I had the good fortune of acquiring 60 original W.R.A. Co. .44 W.C.F. B.P. cartridges. I was interested in seeing what the velocity was in a 24" barrel. Cataloged velocity in the late 1890's was 1,301 f.p.s. After replacing the original dead primers with fresh ones, 5 rounds averaged 1,318 f.p.s.

As was indicated the rim on the early ..45 Colt b.p. cartridges is not rebated like today but I have fired about 120 b.p. rounds using the original cases and I did not have any that failed to extract BUT with the small purchase area it would only be a matter of time......

w30wcf

MtGun44
12-30-2013, 12:07 AM
Yep, the revolvers pushed them out from inside, no need for any more rim than was
necessary to keep the round from moving forward when hit by the firing pin.

Bill

ReloaderFred
12-30-2013, 01:45 PM
Bill,

We just shared Christmas dinner with Boyd and his great family. We talked about him taking his original rifles and pistols to Italy to get them to reproduce them in the early days and the attitude of the Italian gunmakers. We've spent the last 7 or 8 Christmases with them, and we shoot every month with his daughter and son-in-law. They're like our second family.

Fred

smkummer
12-30-2013, 03:01 PM
Some thoughts about sooty 45 Colt cases. Originally 45 Colt was to take a .454 diameter bullet and the case was sized accordingly. Then came the .451-.452 bullets and carbide dies of which sized the straight sided case even smaller to hold the smaller bullet, I somewhat wonder if manufacturers helped by making 45 Colt brass thicker to hold the smaller bullets. So when firing low pressure loads, it no wonder that the whole case does not expand evenly. 44-40 and 38-40 cases are thin at the mouth area and seal well with low pressure loads.

ReloaderFred
12-30-2013, 10:13 PM
Bill,

We've shot Winter Range and Border Town a couple of times, and been to EOT four times. We've shot in Washington, Nevada, Wyoming, New Mexico and all over Oregon. Couldn't ask for a nicer group of people to shoot with. I'll see Boyd again at the SHOT Show in a couple of weeks.

I showed Will Shootem and Johnny Jingos some original .45 Colt ammunition and they then fully understood why the 73 was never chambered for it. Johnny showed it to the General, and he was kind of surprised by it, too. The extractor can't grab what's not there..

Fred