PDA

View Full Version : .45-270 SAA load data?

Nine-Toed Omar
11-26-2007, 02:05 PM
I'm shooting a Ruger New Vaquero, (and occasionally a Winchester 'Trapper'). Whine if you want about my choice in firearms but they both work darned well every time I call on them. :Fire:

Anyhoo, I just got in my order of Mt. Baldy .45-270 SAA boolits and I'm kinda eager to give 'em a whirl in the Ruger. Before anyone starts, I'm very aware that the New Vaquero is not the tank the retired Vaquero seems to be. I don't want it to be! Just want it to live up to its potential.

So, anyone got decent data on said boolit in this revolver?

Powders on hand are:
IMR 4227 (my .45 Colt 'go-to' powder),
Titegroup,
Accurate No. 5, and
Unique, (of course).

Thanks!

Nine-Toed Omar*

fourarmed
11-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Try 9/Unique.

Nine-Toed Omar
11-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Reckon I ought to mention my primer stock as well as my powder stock. Currently I'm sitting on a couple of hundred CCI 300's and a thousand CCI 350's. My next purchase will be WLP's. Guess that should be taken into account as well... [smilie=1:

T-Bird
11-27-2007, 08:58 AM
Omar, I'm in Opelika. I shoot 11gr AA#5 under the same boolit and get great results.I have a Ruger Bisley 7.5 in bbl.I have always gotten better accuracy with #5 than with Unique. Shoot straight, T-Bird

Cherokee
11-27-2007, 09:04 AM
I have very good results with 14 gr Blue Dot and 45-255 cast @ 268 gr. in my Redhawk. Also good in my Win Trapper. As usual, start lower and work up.

Nine-Toed Omar
11-27-2007, 10:53 AM
Remember fellas, this is the lighter built New Vaquero I'm shooting here.

These loads sound a bit high, are they?

Char-Gar
11-27-2007, 11:38 AM
I have a New Vaquero and I favor the RCBS 270 SAA bullet. Mine come out at 281 grains and I size them .454. I load them over 19/4227 or 8.5/Unique for the new model Ruger. These loads are just fine or Colt SA and it's clone, Smith and Wesson Da and the NM Vaquero.

Nine-Toed Omar
11-27-2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks! I feel better about jumping on the loading bench today and loading up more of my rounds with 4227. That powder seems to be favored in my Ruger, more consistent than Unique.

Dr. A
11-27-2007, 04:50 PM
http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/HL%20246partial.pdf

Try out this link. Pierce did a great article in the April Handloader of this year on the very bullet. He has it broke down to 14,000, 20,000 and 30,000 loads.

I;m pretty sure somewhere he concluded your new Vaquero will shoot the 20,000 level.

Lloyd Smale
11-28-2007, 06:57 AM
19 4227 9.5 unique

Nine-Toed Omar
11-28-2007, 01:15 PM
http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/HL%20246partial.pdf

Try out this link. Pierce did a great article in the April Handloader of this year on the very bullet. He has it broke down to 14,000, 20,000 and 30,000 loads.

I;m pretty sure somewhere he concluded your new Vaquero will shoot the 20,000 level.

I found that article last night and printed off a copy for my notes. It seems to answer every question concerning this boolit, even listing clearly the primers used. I'm going to start with the same 18 grain charge of IMR 4227 that I use under Penn's 270 Thunderhead and ease up a tad from there if the accuracy isn't what I want. If that powder doesn't do the trick I still have a couple of other powders Brian mentions in his article I can try.

The .45 is kind of a 'comfort' round for me. Aways wanted one growing up an now I've got one that is more easily carried than my old Blackhawk. Feels good, shoots better. More, I've got no need for 'artillery' down here. Hogs get big sometimes, looters come out after hurricanes, and there is the occasional 'gator issue/season, but the .45 Colt will easily dispatch any vermin that requires removal from its particular gene pool. :Fire:

Thanks for the help guys! I reckon this thread is done.

Bull, out - and off to the dentist! :groner:

jtaylor1960
11-28-2007, 02:27 PM
I have shot some of the THUNDERHEADS in my 45 but when using heavier loads I got serious leading.I it may have been more because of poor fit rather than the fact it is not a gas checked bullet.I would like to get a good load though with them.With a meplat like that it would be a good killer at any reasonable velocity.

Nine-Toed Omar
11-28-2007, 10:44 PM
I have shot some of the THUNDERHEADS in my 45 but when using heavier loads I got serious leading.I it may have been more because of poor fit rather than the fact it is not a gas checked bullet.I would like to get a good load though with them.With a meplat like that it would be a good killer at any reasonable velocity.

I can vouch for the fact that when pushed with the above mentioned load of 4227 those 'Thunderheads' are certain death on razorback hogs! :-D

No leading occurred in my revolver at all, perhaps because I wasn't pushing them terribly hard. They do have a beveled base which has been common to every boolit with which I have experienced leading in the past. Perhaps when pushed a bit harder that beveled base is the culprit, as I've read before.

My biggest disappointment with the 'Thunderheads' was that they refuse to chamber in my .45 Colt Trapper. (It is a rather strange design...)

Perhaps the design could be adapted to a gas check design for less leading at higher velocity, but the issue with tubular magazines I doubt can be repaired.