PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Safes....need some help.

flyer1
12-22-2013, 09:24 PM
I have a little one in the house. I could use some advice. I would like to find a night stand quick access pistol safe. One that won't break the bank. Thanks folks.

jumbeaux
12-22-2013, 09:40 PM
My son has a "Gun Vault" that has a finger groove (all four fingers IIRC) lock...his holds 2 handguns...it works very well...

rick

R.M.
12-22-2013, 09:54 PM
Saw one of those at Lowes last week. Something like $9.00 I think.

dragon813gt
12-22-2013, 10:14 PM
Just pay for a gun vault. They are worth the money.

archmaker
12-22-2013, 11:49 PM
Depends on why you are buying it. If it is to secure the gun, so it can't be stolen go with a gun vault but expect to find a way to bolt it down.

I have one and it is not bolted down, what I do is I put my gun there, when I come home for the night, I open it up and when I leave for the day or a trip I close it. This way if I am not there I am not worried about some kid just grabbing the gun left on the headboard. It is basically a piece of mind for me.

If you are trying to prevrent it from being stolen then, you need to rethink and go bigger, heavier, and get a gun safe.

clownbear69
12-23-2013, 12:59 AM
Depends on why you are buying it. If it is to secure the gun, so it can't be stolen go with a gun vault but expect to find a way to bolt it down.

I have one and it is not bolted down, what I do is I put my gun there, when I come home for the night, I open it up and when I leave for the day or a trip I close it. This way if I am not there I am not worried about some kid just grabbing the gun left on the headboard. It is basically a piece of mind for me.

If you are trying to prevrent it from being stolen then, you need to rethink and go bigger, heavier, and get a gun safe.

You make a lot of great points and I kinda want to expand it. In a typical house and a burglar breaks in from the front door it takes from 10 (as in my house)- 30 seconds (many larger/ two story houses) to reach the front door to the master bedroom running. From waking up to getting your gun could take that much time and leaving it in a safe locked when you need it the most wastes needed seconds away from you. Of course theres some preventive measures to increase your time.

Something to think about

Ickisrulz
12-23-2013, 09:37 AM
You make a lot of great points and I kinda want to expand it. In a typical house and a burglar breaks in from the front door it takes from 10 (as in my house)- 30 seconds (many larger/ two story houses) to reach the front door to the master bedroom running. From waking up to getting your gun could take that much time and leaving it in a safe locked when you need it the most wastes needed seconds away from you. Of course theres some preventive measures to increase your time.

Something to think about

A big dog will slow them down.

Three-Fifty-Seven
12-23-2013, 10:25 AM
,,,p!

HATCH
12-23-2013, 10:29 AM
I have two safes.
One is a larger 1950 jewelry story safe. The other is a smaller Sentry brand safe that I keep just a couple pistols in and my narcotics (meds)
The Sentry safe isn't to prevent a robber from stealing my guns but to prevent my kids from getting them. They are 9 and 7. I don't think they would mess with them but its one of those things.

When I was growing up there was a pistol under the mattress (between the mattress and the box spring) in my parents room.

flyer1
12-23-2013, 10:33 AM
I was looking for something to put a pistol in for the night that can be accessed in an emergency. Something for the night stand that will keep the little ones out but, the wife or myself can get in quickly for protection. The big gun safe would be far to slow to open in a high stress situation. What brand are you folks using and what would you recommend?

archmaker
12-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Agree to the big dog, or in my case a mean dog (UPS driver has stopped getting out of the truck). I do technology security for companies (physical and computer) and the key is defense in layers.

I live on a dead end street, in the woods, with doors locked and two dogs, and then add to that a revolver and 1911 (revolver is unlocked but in the gun vault, and the 1911 is next to the revolver when not on my hip). I shoot about 200-600 rounds a month. I feel safer in my house, which isn't much, but it is home, then some other people I know that leave in Big ol brick homes in a gated community.

The point I am making is to access your security in layers, not in stopping them at some point (unless it is relying on your weapons) but in slowing them down. A safe is rated as to how long it will withstand an attack, it may be T120 (120 minutes) or withstand fire for 30 minutes, it is not a T-Infinity. My goal for my house with my dogs is to give me enough time to get my glasses on, and my gun in my hand. (5 seconds minimum) after that ever second that my defense afford me (door, dogs, location) gives me a better chance of defending my wife and child. Give me 30 seconds and I am a lot closer to 100% ready then I was at 5 seconds.

marlin39a
12-23-2013, 10:56 AM
I have 2 Gunvaults, and have had them in use for 19 yrs. They take 8 AA batteries, that I change every 6 months. I practice opening them several times a week so it is second nature. I feel secure with them.