PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for my Dad

obssd1958
12-22-2013, 08:19 PM
I don't post much of my personal life anywhere, but in this case, I'm hoping (praying) that sharing a bit, will be helpful for my Dad.
My Dad lives in Missouri, and I'm here in Idaho, and we have been living in different states for the last 35 years. I've visited him a few times, and traveled to attend family funerals that he also attended, but we haven't seen much of each other for all that time. My step-mom generally keeps us apprised of his health - always after the fact of course!
She let us (my wife and I) know a couple of months ago that Dad wasn't eating well, and couldn't keep solid food down. They were seeing various doctors, but hadn't been able to come up with a diagnosis until last week.
Dad called me yesterday to tell me himself, that he has been diagnosed with esophageal cancer. They will start radiation treatment this coming Tuesday, Christmas Eve.
He was told by his oncologist, that he would be getting radiation treatments for the next six weeks, and that should be all that is needed. I'm hoping that's true.
In the mean time, if you have the inclination, I would appreciate prayers for healing and a full recovery for my Dad.

Thanks folks,

Don

Idaho Mule
12-22-2013, 08:42 PM
Thinking of you and your dad here Don. JW

North_of_60
12-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Prayers for yor dad and you

Al

forfun
12-22-2013, 10:53 PM
prayers for your dad and family

Gibbs44
12-22-2013, 10:55 PM
Sorry to hear it, prayers to out to your father, you and the rest of your family.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-22-2013, 10:56 PM
Prayin for you and your Dad.

missionary5155
12-23-2013, 09:29 AM
Good morning
Will be praying for your dad and family during these weeks. May God intervien with His almighty power.
Mike in Peru

groovy mike
12-23-2013, 09:30 AM
Prayers sent!

w5pv
12-23-2013, 10:01 AM
Prayers sent for your father and you.

Wayne Smith
12-24-2013, 07:47 PM
More prayers coming. We will pray for your father and the MD's who will work with him.

buckwheatpaul
12-24-2013, 11:13 PM
May the Lord heal , protect and watch over your father....may He live in you, your wife, and your dad.....

DLCTEX
12-25-2013, 12:05 PM
Lord bless him with your healing touch.

obssd1958
01-02-2014, 03:50 AM
Thank you, so much, for the prayers.
Dad went in the day before Christmas, for surgery to install a gastric tube and a picc line. He didn't handle the anesthesia very well, so they stopped at just putting in the gastric feeding tube, and ended up keeping him at the hospital until late afternoon, Christmas day.
Since then, he has been back on the weekdays to get radiation treatments. They also did the outpatient procedure yesterday, to install the picc line that they need for administering the chemo. He did better this time. They will be doing the chemo 2 or 3 days a week, but I haven't heard yet how long that is supposed to be done.
Wish I could be there for him, but prayers cover near or far...

Don

Boaz
01-02-2014, 09:47 AM
Praying for your father and family . They have come a long way with the chemo treatments and surgery for this type cancer .
Boaz

Charlie Two Tracks
01-02-2014, 12:55 PM
Prayers for you and your father.

catmandu
01-16-2014, 01:01 PM
I hope you and your dad are doing well. Radiation is tough. I'm thinking and praying for you both.

felix
01-16-2014, 01:14 PM
My brother of 53 years passed due to this. The last 3 months were terrible, but were made more easy by his wife being a nurse. After diagnosis, he went home with her to face the ordeal. She administered the drugs according to spec. Advice to anyone having heartburn symptoms often: get checked out pronto. My brother ignored his sore internals (taking over the counter acid reducers only) for 10 years or more before diagnosis. ... felix

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002128/#adam_001143.disease.causes

jmort
01-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Sorry I missed this prayer opportunity, but making up for it now. Praying for complete recovery and that he live out his days in good health.

smokeywolf
01-16-2014, 01:38 PM
Don, your father is included in our thoughts and prayers.

smokeywolf

obssd1958
01-16-2014, 06:04 PM
Thank you, folks. I truly appreciate the thoughts and prayers, and I know that Dad does too.
No news or updates so far, except that he isn't getting enough fluids. They had to put him on IV fluids when he was at the hospital the first part of this week. He hates drinking water - he always said "you know what fish do in water?" - and they won't let him drink his beer, so the only fluids he was getting was through the feeding tube. He told them that he will do better, but I know that he's having a rough time coming to terms with it all. I find myself wishing that I could just be there to hug him - got to figure out a way to do that.
In the mean time, I'm humbled by all the prayers for his recovery.

Don

daniel lawecki
01-16-2014, 11:35 PM
prayers sent

Ajax
01-17-2014, 05:46 AM
Don,
I am praying for your father,you and your whole family. I am also pray the Drs guided by gods hands will do his will and make this a non-issue. I know how being away from your father while something like this was going on. I was stationed in Va beach when my father was put in the hospital and given a week. It is something that cant be explained unless you have been there. But be happy in the fact that he knows you love and worry for him .

Andy

Lloyd Smale
01-18-2014, 08:21 AM
prayers said for him

obssd1958
02-08-2014, 02:53 AM
An update on Dad:

My brother sent me a text yesterday, to let me know that they were going to admit Dad to the hospital as soon as they finished his radiation therapy. It seems he was dehydrated again, and running a bit of a fever.
They did some bloodwork on him today, and according to my step mom, his "numbers" were low. She said they told her the normal levels for whatever they were checking, were supposed to be from 13-15, and they don't want to see anything below 8. Dad's were at 7.9, so they were going to give him blood, or a blood transfusion - she wasn't sure.
He should then be able to go home tomorrow, sometime.
His last radiation treatment is Monday, and then they will go in for tests, and to see the oncologist, on Tuesday. That will tell them if the treatments have been successful. I'm praying that it has been, because my step mom told me tonight that he's told her that he's not sure he can continue to do this.
Your continued prayers would be appreciated.

Don

obssd1958
03-21-2014, 02:26 PM
I am sorry for not updating this thread, but Dad's health was so up and down, that I didn't know what to update from one week to the next. I really appreciate all of the prayers and thoughts.
Dad called me, just about a week ago. He was having a good day. It was the first time that he was able to actually talk to me, since the first of the year.

Dad lost his fight this morning. I've spent all the time since I found out, calling family, and arranging transportation from Boise to central Missouri, to help my youngest brother and step-mom.
I would appreciate a few more prayers for our family.

Thank you,

Don

wch
03-21-2014, 03:00 PM
God bless your dad and your family.

Charlie Two Tracks
03-21-2014, 03:26 PM
I am sorry to hear that Don. I pray for God's peace and strength for you and your family. I'm so glad your dad got to call you.

rockrat
03-21-2014, 03:34 PM
Sorry to hear of your Dads passing after such a fight. Its great you were able to talk with him. May He give you and your family peace and comfort.

smokeywolf
03-21-2014, 10:12 PM
Prayers for you and your family obssd.

smokeywolf

Bzcraig
03-21-2014, 11:37 PM
Prayers for all brother.

DLCTEX
03-25-2014, 10:04 PM
Lord bless this family.

Shuz
03-29-2014, 09:10 PM
Our prayers are with you and your family at this tough time.