PDA

View Full Version : Lee 452-230 tc question

fish0123
12-22-2013, 07:43 PM
I have a Lee 452-230 truncated cone six cavity mold, the regular lube groove type. The problem I have with it is that there is a chamfer on the base of the boolit. I have never seen a cast boolit mold with this design. It doesn't make any sense because when you run it through your lube sizer a bunch of lube fills in the chamfer and it is a pain to get off. I tried to simply seat the boolit into the case and leave all of the excess lube on but when the boolit is seated a bunch of lube squirts out and make a mess. I could tumble lube it but I bought the regular lube groove design because I didn't want to tumble lube. Am I missing something or did lee just no think this one through?

btroj
12-22-2013, 07:45 PM
It is called a bevel base, very common in handgun bullets. Some have used a small disk of foam, like meat is packaged on, under the bullet to help eliminate the ring around the base.

dubber123
12-22-2013, 07:48 PM
You might find a local machine shop that could remove the bevel for you. You can either flat mill the bottom of the mold which will produce a slightly lighter boolit, or ream the lip off the base of the mold which makes for a slightly heavier boolit.

Cherokee
12-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Try the foam disk under the boolit, many report this works fine. I use a lot of that boolit but I use a Star push through sizer for any bevel base bullet.

Dale53
12-22-2013, 10:01 PM
Try the foam disk under the boolit, many report this works fine. I use a lot of that boolit but I use a Star push through sizer for any bevel base bullet.

The Star lube/sizer does NOT get lube on the bevel of bevel based bullets but Cherokee's suggestion for a Lyman or RCBS lube/sizer may solve your problem. Pan lubing then using a Lee push through sizing die also works extremely well.

FWIW
Dale53

Ausglock
12-23-2013, 04:39 AM
I use this bullet. But I coat it with HI-TEK Supercoat. The Lyman 450 really makes a mess with this bullet.

milprileb
12-23-2013, 08:20 AM
Ran into this problem with my 45 and 9mm Lee bullets and my Lyman 450/4500 lubrisizer _(its a 450 converted with upgrade kit sold by Lyman and now has the great 4500 linkage and handle).

Solutions that have worked:

a. Buck Shot (member here) made me a new punch that allows me to size 45 acp bevel based bullets and no grease on base issues anymore.
b. 9mm: I tried cardboard and egg carton foam/whatever it is on punch to see if that approach worked but its problematic. I then tried the plastic corroplast real estate sign material and that ended the issue when I lube 9mm bullets.

Now, the urgency to get a final solution for 9mm with a Buckshot made punch has not been a priority the past 3 years but now that I think of it, I will get him to do it and put this to rest permanently.

If you want a great temp solution ,try the real estate sign material. They last a very long time and keep grease from getting on base of bevel bullets. You may find it very rewarding .. I limped along using it effortlessly for 3 yrs so it works ...its a good work around solution. If it were not, I would have been in crisis to track Buckshot down for a 9mm solution.

Cherokee
12-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Buckshot's special punch is the best solution, I just did not remember who made them.

prs
12-23-2013, 03:34 PM
I find that I get no lube on the bevel or bottom if limit the heat to just having medium soft lube instead of runny and if I set the depth adjustment too high to where the lube just barely does not enter the lube groove and then back the setting down about 1/2 turn. Also necessary to keep a boolit in the closed lube sizer when not actively sizing. Works in my 450 anyway.

prs

blikseme300
12-23-2013, 03:49 PM
I use a Star to lube pistol boolits with bevel base. Lee did not invent this style of boolit but merely tweaked the designs of others.