PDA

View Full Version : Making Berdan Primers out of standard 209 shotshell primers

d_man2
12-22-2013, 02:55 PM
Ok, so it has been a while since the mad scientist in me has done any experimentation into the world of the unknown after my last post on Super Reduced Loads for my .303 British http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?211143-Super-Reduced-Load-for-my-303-British-Ross-Rifle

Something I have been tossing around in the back of my mind for quite some time is the possibility of pushing the main primer out of a 209 shotgun primer and using in a Berdan primed casing. If you have never broke a shotshell primer down into its componets before, start with a spent primer before you ever attempt a live primer! Simply push a USED/ALREADY SHOT primer out of a shotgun shell with a nail, stick, paperclip, or whatever else you have lying around. One you get it out you will notice it is much larger than a standard large rifle primer. This is because there is a housing around the actual primer, what we will need to do is break it down into its components. You can view the internal components at this website http://www.rioammo.com/primers.html

Before I go ANY further, I want to say that only YOU are responsible for your own actions. This is not meant to be training, this is for informational and proof of concept purposes only!!!! I will assume no responsibility if you try this and have "problems" with attempting it. I have done this and it has worked for me and me alone. I considered not posting it because I do not wish to have anyone get hurt, but I felt the information was relevant and could be of use to someone else out there in case SHTF! Always wear eye protection when attempting to do this......I also held my arm in front of the arbor press just in case of an accidental detonation.

I guess my reasons were somewhat two fold in attempting the project, one because I had all these damn 7.62x39 spent cases kicking around and the other I have a box of 1000 shotshell primers that I bought with a few other things and I do not load shotshells.

Ok, now lets get down to the nitty gritty....I started by finding a pair of nuts that the shotshell primer would just fit inside. I couldnt really tell you what size, it is just what i had lying around. I think they are either 3/8 or 8mm, either way you can figure that out for yourself. The primer must just fit inside, but the flange should not allow it to fall through.
Next take the second nut and put it on top basically sandwiching the primer between
Then holding the nuts together, TURN THEM OVER and place them on the base on an arbor press. You will be pushing the decapping pin into the flash hole on the primer thus pushing the primer out the bottom, do not push the decapping pin into the primer cap! VERY IMPORTANT!! I got mine from Princess Auto, but you can also get them from Harbor Freight. In the press, I chucked a primer decapping pin for pushing the primer apart.
I then SLOWLY pressed the pin into the center of the shotshell primer
At this point you will feel the center primer portion push out and you will be left with it lying on the arbor press
Now you will have to remove the integrated shotshell primer anvil and you will be ready to insert the primer into a prepped and sized Berdan case
Once you push the primer (by hand) into the end of the rifle case, you will notice that it fits very loosely and that it sticks out past the bottom of the cartridge casing. This is fine, it is this extra material on the primer that will help you seat it properly in the next step
I removed my decapping pin from the arbor press and inserted it upside down so that it was wider and I could use this to seat the primer. Just remember to always do this slowly and methodically to avoid an accidental detonation.
Once you have pressed it properly the primer will now be sitting tight, deep and flush into the cartridge case. I have done and fired 10 of these so far and so far all ten were successful!

I know this is not the safest of procedures, but it did work and it did prove the concept which is all that I really wanted to do. There is inherent risk involved in this (as well as any reloading) procedures so please if you are to attempt this I urge you to wear proper safety equipment and work slowly so as to minimize your risk of injury.

AlaskanGuy
12-22-2013, 06:20 PM
Very interesting idea...

d_man2
12-22-2013, 06:25 PM
Thanks! Not sure about where you are, but here, Berdan primers are very hard to find and if/when you do find them they are almost 1.5 times as much as a regular large rifle primer. It shouldnt be.......it just is..... that is the world of retail for you!

TheGrimReaper
12-23-2013, 02:44 PM
Neat!!! Way to go.

khmer6
12-23-2013, 02:50 PM
Another interesting way to use those berdan cases

drhall762
12-23-2013, 05:07 PM
Good job. I think you have proof. Might I just add, Wear Safety Glasses.

khmer6
12-23-2013, 05:10 PM
Ha yes. Remember the goggles. And to add, be aware that shotgun primers brands are different. I believe federal is one of the hottest burners

d_man2
12-23-2013, 05:10 PM
Yep, it is there........that is where I said "wear eye protection". Glad you all are liking it though, it has been a lot of fun to do.....not really sure where to go from here! lol

khmer6
12-23-2013, 05:20 PM
I wonder if there is a way to drill out the anvil on the casing and just pop in a modified shotgun primer

d_man2
12-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Sounds sort of scary to me actually! It is bad enough using an arbor press on a live primer, I really dont think I would want to have a moving drill bit that creates heat and friction anywhere near it, but that is just me. Having said that, this is a "special projects" forum and who knows....it might work?

plmitch
12-23-2013, 06:12 PM
Good stuff here, thanks for sharing.