PDA

View Full Version : Lead

EMC45
11-26-2007, 09:05 AM
Got some old lead "P" traps from a plumber buddy the other day. And some big round ingots for sealing ocum. I presume the traps are pure?

testhop
11-26-2007, 09:31 AM
YES and you are one lucky dude
if you are going to use it for b.p because it makes great ball
and if you are going to cast some thing else then you can trade it or mix it any one of these choices it a great one to have
they made all the old plumming fixtures out of pure lead in the old days

tom

MT Gianni
11-26-2007, 12:31 PM
The ingots to make a lead hub joint are pure also. Gianni

GLL
11-26-2007, 03:27 PM
The ingots in front of my smelter are typical of the pure lead stuff I have scrounged from old plumbing sources. This ugly batch was buried in wet debris in a storage shed behind an old plumbing supply dealer that was closing near me. GOOD STUFF even though I had to dig! :) :)

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/81709C22AE6BD45/standard.jpg

pumpguy
11-26-2007, 03:41 PM
Wow GLL!!!! Excellent haul. I assume you got it for a song which would make it even better!

EMC45
11-26-2007, 04:12 PM
He said he has been ratholing every piece of scrap lead he finds! He knows I cast and he has kept me in mind. I also have a source of ingots at 25 lb a piece, 20 of them. I was told they were foundry certified to be pure lead. For free. I cast pure WWs and I am not keen on the alloying deal so I may find a BP guy to swap some stuff.

GLL
11-26-2007, 06:52 PM
EMC45:

Haul off all pure lead you can !

Even if you do not use it yourself the lead is like gold when traded for WW !
Five hundred pounds of pure lead is probably worth 1000-1500 pounds of WW ingots ! :) :)

Jerry

cohutt
11-26-2007, 08:33 PM
EMC45:

Haul off all pure lead you can !

Even if you do not use it yourself the lead is like gold when traded for WW !
Five hundred pounds of pure lead is probably worth 1000-1500 pounds of WW ingots ! :) :)

Jerry

I agree 100%- Pure lead is 90%+ of what you need for a boolit and the EPA doesn't have a bee up their *ss about tin or antimony now do they?

If anyone knows of a BP shooter willing to trade at these ratios, by all means send them my way. I have a large amounts of certified pure lead but am light in WW, at least lighter than I prefer to be.

The flat rate boxes are ready to pack. Hell I might even do a half day drive from N GA to do a quantity trade......

a sample of the clean raw material and nice blue ingots:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/cohutt/IMG_0212.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/cohutt/leadingots002.jpg

crowbeaner
11-26-2007, 09:07 PM
Purty stuff! I had a shirttail relation GIVE me about 70 lbs. of plumbers ingots a month ago. I'll have to get off some venison if I get one. It'll make some nice SG slugs next spring.

Winger Ed.
11-26-2007, 09:12 PM
I cast pure WWs .

For sub-sonic handgun stuff,
I've mixed pure Lead & wheel weights about half & half for several years.

It works great, and stretches out your supply of the old 'clip on' type
wheel weights that are used less and less as the world goes more & more
to the pure lead 'stick on' weights.

jawjaboy
11-26-2007, 09:21 PM
but am light in WW, at least lighter than I prefer to be.

Cohutt, that ain't my fault now. You had plenny a fair warn'n. True? Jes ask'n? :wink:

ANeat
11-26-2007, 09:30 PM
What you lookin to trade for Cohutt, Ive still got a bit of Lino

cohutt
11-26-2007, 11:10 PM
What you lookin to trade for Cohutt, Ive still got a bit of Lino

Adam, actually I was just hopin a desperate BP shooter within 50 miles would notice the post and offer me 1500lbs of ww ingpts for 500lbs of pure. if you are giving lino away i'll charge up some flat rate labels and send them up pronto though....:mrgreen:

JJB, just stay below the gnat line and we'll get along just fine. Found a pretty fair bag of 270 brass for ya tonight but I can't seem to locate the 30-30 i thought i had. Will keep diggin before i give up. Also have folger's coffee can full of misc big rifle brass unsorted to check. By big i mean bigger than the .223 pea shooter brass i use a lot of.