PDA

View Full Version : Bullshop Junior report thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Bullshop Junior
12-22-2013, 05:34 AM
Its getting pretty close to that time where I climb in my truck and head south. From now on, I will keep everyone informed of where I am at from this thread.

Im back in Delta today. Im loading the truck up early and heading to fairbanks. I have someone who is supposed to buy my trailer finally, along with a few other things.

For cash that I have right now, I am just over $400, although I cant access some of it since its in paypal.

Im supposed to get $600 for the trailer in the morning. Half what I wanted but im running out of time, and all the other offers on it have been way too cheap.

Tomorrow and monday im back in fairbanks helping out starmac for a little extra cash. Tues and christmas ill be back in Delta to spend with the wifes family, thurs and friday I need to clean out the place Im renting. Sat, back to fairbanks to finish getting the truck ready, including oil change, and I am hoping the 80ga fuel tank a friend is lettin me borrow wi get installed. Suday and monday packing up the truck, and 6am tuesday morning im pulling out.

Im honestly still gonna be a little short on money. Having to put $600 into a alternator and battery for my truck really set me back. Ive been saving fuel points hoping to fill up that 80ga tank for im hoping a doller off per gallon.

I will try to post on this thread daily until I am settled in texas. Once I start the trip, i will keep post pics here as well.

DRNurse1
12-22-2013, 06:55 AM
Fair winds and following seas, Cast Boolits Brother. May your journey be filled with positive adventures and devoid of any more stress.

w5pv
12-22-2013, 07:44 AM
Good luck on your trip down.

RED333
12-22-2013, 09:34 AM
Gods speed to you and yours.

jmort
12-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Could you or someone post the link for PayPal address to donate. I said I would help if you decided to go and you are doing it. Good for you.

Bullshop Junior
12-22-2013, 11:08 AM
Could you or someone post the link for PayPal address to donate. I said I would help if you decided to go and you are doing it. Good for you.

The problem with paypal on my end is that i can only withdraw $500 per month and im alread up to that. If you send paypal to trooper dan, we had a systom worked out that worked well. I dont want anymore papee checks sent since they may not make it here before I leave.

MtGun44
12-22-2013, 11:33 AM
Best wishes. Remember that if you drive 60 or 65, you will stretch that fuel dollar
a lot farther. My F150 gets about 19 mpg at 65, a touch over 20 if I accelerate
really slowly up to speed and about 14-15 at 70-75. Huge difference in how far
the tank takes me. First taught that in pilot training, throttle back for long
range. Too bad vehicles don't have a mixture control so you can lean out
the mixture for cruise, but I guess the computer is already doing that for
you.

Be safe. Good luck in Texas.

Bill

reloader28
12-22-2013, 12:24 PM
If you come thru this direction and need a place to crash for the night, let me know.

TXGunNut
12-22-2013, 12:35 PM
I live pretty close to your route thru Texas, work address is on 287 in Decatur, TX. I can help you with gas and my guest bedroom is available.

Bullshop Junior
12-22-2013, 02:58 PM
Best wishes. Remember that if you drive 60 or 65, you will stretch that fuel dollar
a lot farther. My F150 gets about 19 mpg at 65, a touch over 20 if I accelerate
really slowly up to speed and about 14-15 at 70-75. Huge difference in how far
the tank takes me. First taught that in pilot training, throttle back for long
range. Too bad vehicles don't have a mixture control so you can lean out
the mixture for cruise, but I guess the computer is already doing that for
you.

Be safe. Good luck in Texas.

Bill

My truck likes to cruise between 75-80. Right in there i can get about 22-23 MPG.

Bullshop Junior
12-22-2013, 03:02 PM
First pic. In case yall wanna see what Im leaving behind, this photo was taken at 9:30 this morning.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/23/uqyruger.jpg

Three-Fifty-Seven
12-22-2013, 03:37 PM

First post

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?221943-Help-for-Bullshop-Junior

Daniel, may you have a safe trip!

Love Life
12-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Good luck and God speed on your travels. If you hit the western edge of Northern Nevada give me a holler. A place to rest, food, beverages, and tall tales are yours if you need them.

300savage
12-22-2013, 06:16 PM
daniel just a heads up on your time frame.
i believe you said originally you would be down here sometime after the 12th, i will be back from arizona the 10th.
let me know if anything has changed if you would.
thanks.

Bullshop Junior
12-22-2013, 06:22 PM
daniel just a heads up on your time frame.
i believe you said originally you would be down here sometime after the 12th, i will be back from arizona the 10th.
let me know if anything has changed if you would.
thanks.

Ok. I figure it will take me about a week or so to make the drive. If I get there sooner then you im sure I can camp out in my truck lol

NWPilgrim
12-22-2013, 07:03 PM
Bullshop, will Paypal to TrooperDan sent on Jan 1 get to you? Would it be better to wire money to your bank account or what?

I don't know how many young men I advised to go where the work us and you are the first I've seen to jump when friends offered the advice. I once made a similar trip from Iowa to Seattle in late winter with a pregnant wife in an AMC Hornet and a small utility trailer. Best decision I ever made.

Bullshop Junior
12-22-2013, 07:25 PM
Bullshop, will Paypal to TrooperDan sent on Jan 1 get to you? Would it be better to wire money to your bank account or what?

I don't know how many young men I advised to go where the work us and you are the first I've seen to jump when friends offered the advice. I once made a similar trip from Iowa to Seattle in late winter with a pregnant wife in an AMC Hornet and a small utility trailer. Best decision I ever made.

I sold my AMC hornet a few months ago.

I will get it it, but from the time Dan transfers it takes 3-5 days to clear my bank. From my paypal it takes 7-10 days to clear my bank.

300savage
12-22-2013, 08:01 PM
just a thought but there are a lot of good folks who have helped you in this, i would take a bit of time to stop and see a few of them along the way if possible.

MaryB
12-22-2013, 10:07 PM
just upgrade your paypal account to business, free, think fees are a little higher on money sent for goods. then unlimited withdrawals.

TXGunNut
12-23-2013, 12:16 AM
When do you think you'll be passing thru North Texas?

WILCO
12-23-2013, 12:40 AM
My truck likes to cruise between 75-80.

Good speed for collecting tickets.

Bullshop Junior
12-23-2013, 12:52 AM
Ill tell yall what ill do. I can pick up a map and ill start putting a dot where each member that has offered is, and then I can make a route based on that.

And as for ticket, 75 is only ten over here, 5 over most places. Ive never been pulled over for speedif and i drive about 100,000 miles a year

WILCO
12-23-2013, 12:56 AM
Ive never been pulled over for speedif and i drive about 100,000 miles a year

Age and experience dictates the following:

1) There's a first time for everything.
2) Never say "Never". [smilie=s:

Bullshop Junior
12-23-2013, 01:04 AM
Age and experience dictates the following:

1) There's a first time for everything.
2) Never say "Never". [smilie=s:

I will keep that in mind lol. Im sure the rules are difforant down there.

MtGun44
12-23-2013, 01:07 AM
Good luck on the trip. I'm guessing you have a diesel if you are getting that
kind of mileage, or maybe the V6. My 5.4 liter won't get over 21 no matter
what I do. Good luck with the tickets.

Bill

Bullshop Junior
12-23-2013, 01:14 AM
I have a 5.3L GMC 1500HD

Bullshop Junior
12-23-2013, 01:15 AM
And I said I can get that high. Im figuring closer to 15 average for this trip

waksupi
12-23-2013, 01:58 AM
Speeding out of staters are meat for Montana Highway Patrol, speed through a small town, and you will set in jail until a justice of the peace decides he has time to deal with you, and then only in cash.
A friend had cut a bunch of teepee poles to sale, and took them back east. He was pulled over for a burned out tail light. Cop saw a machete laying on the floor boards, that he had used to peel the poles. Was arrested for carrying a weapon. three days later, the judge asked him how much money he had, and fined him that full amount, leaving him broke and stranded.
Be careful, and don't do anything dumb.

Bullshop Junior
12-23-2013, 04:30 AM
Speeding out of staters are meat for Montana Highway Patrol, speed through a small town, and you will set in jail until a justice of the peace decides he has time to deal with you, and then only in cash.
A friend had cut a bunch of teepee poles to sale, and took them back east. He was pulled over for a burned out tail light. Cop saw a machete laying on the floor boards, that he had used to peel the poles. Was arrested for carrying a weapon. three days later, the judge asked him how much money he had, and fined him that full amount, leaving him broke and stranded.
Be careful, and don't do anything dumb.

I will keep that in mind. Thanks!

NWPilgrim
12-23-2013, 07:35 AM
Well it worked out I could send more $ today rather than wait until the 1st. Sent PayPal to trooperdan.

bangerjim
12-23-2013, 01:35 PM
I have driven thru many of the states you will be traversing and a word of warning:

DO NOT SPEED!

With your very limited financial situation, you do NOT need any tickets! OR delays sitting in the clink.

Screw the gas mileage. Stay at the limit! I even got pulled over for swerving over the middle white line to miss a chuck of "stuff" along the side of the road. The cop thought I was drunk. He did not see the road hazard and would not go back and even look. After almost an hour (!!) sitting in his car and checking my license and reg, he finally let me go. Out-of-state plates = a target for any questionable actions.

They DO target out-of-staters!

And do not have any guns or ammo or knives visible! It may be the old West you will be traveling thu, but the libs are running wild these days.

banger

WILCO
12-23-2013, 01:47 PM
I have driven thru many of the states you will be traversing and a word of warning:

DO NOT SPEED!

Not to worry Jim:
Ive never been pulled over for speeding and i drive about 100,000 miles a year

He's young and boolit proof. :coffee:

snowwolfe
12-23-2013, 01:52 PM
15 mpg at 75 will equate to 20 mpg at 60, even better than 20 at 55. For the most part you will not be able to run over 60 anyhow because of the ice covered road, frost heeves, curves, and colder temperatures. It's just much safer to travel at a reasonable rate of speed and enjoy the benefits of being safer and more economical.

My last two trucks both had computers that showed the fuel consumption and every mile I slowed down would decrease the fuel being burned as long as the trannie stayed in high gear. Optimum fuel consumption was around 45 mph but that is simply to slow.

Weird weather in the lower 48! We just drove through north Texas on Saturday and the troopers closed a major highway in Dumas due to 11 inches of snow. Luckily we found some smaller roads in the atlas that allowed us to continue on as our truck is 4wd. Must of seen 50 cars and trucks in the ditch, Most Texans don't know how to drive in the snow:)

Bullshop Junior
12-23-2013, 02:22 PM
Thanks for all the warning guys. Ill keep my eyes open.

And im not gonna get my average 19-21 mpg because of the roads. I havn't driven faster then 50 in weeks since my truck is lightvand will start sliding pretty bad. I dont run 4wd as a habit on the road, i just slow down, but im thinking on canada i probably will use it some. When my truck is put in 4wd you can watch the fuel gauge go down.

waksupi
12-23-2013, 06:24 PM
https://wit.twc.state.tx.us/WORKINTEXAS/wtx?pageid=APP_HOME&cookiecheckflag=1

Here's some home work you can start on.

SciFiJim
12-23-2013, 06:57 PM
https://wit.twc.state.tx.us/WORKINTEXAS/wtx?pageid=APP_HOME&cookiecheckflag=1

Here's some home work you can start on.

I have been looking for a way to move back to Texas. This may be the beginning of that way!

Thank You!

Bullshop Junior
12-23-2013, 07:09 PM
Thanks Waksupi! As soon as I can get on a computer Ill strt studying. I cant access that site from my phone.

MT Gianni
12-23-2013, 08:01 PM
Remember as well that employers check traffic records and consider tickets as proof you don't care about rules.

Bullshop Junior
12-24-2013, 01:07 AM
Looking back, I came across wrong on my driving. My truck does like to cruise that fast, but I try really hard to not get tickets. I like my driving record, and I can't afford that. t be perfectly honest, I usually set my cruise just under the speed limit when the road conditions are acceptable.

MT Gianni
12-24-2013, 01:15 AM
Understood Daniel, in MT I would get run over if I went under 80 on the interstate.

Bullshop Junior
12-27-2013, 06:39 AM
Well guys, I may end up being here a few extra days since it is currently between 50 and 60 Below zero, and my truck wont start, witch means I can't haul all the stuff I can't give away to the dump, And I really need to clean all my junk up before for I go, or the land lord won't be happy, and since the land lord is my FIL that would never end well.

It's supposed to start warming up on Saturday, so hopefully I can haul all the junk off then. I'd be working on packing up my tools from outside, but it's really way too cold out there, and it wouldn't take me more then a hour or two to get all my tools boxed up. mail thing is hauling off all the furniture and stuff like that.

archmaker
12-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the update, been watching this thread. Today in my part of Texas we are supposed to be the other end . . . 50-60 Above Zero.

Bullshop Junior
12-27-2013, 09:58 PM
That makes me happy. Its a real pain not being able to walk outside without freezing my nuts off.

NWPilgrim
12-28-2013, 02:54 AM
That makes me happy. Its a real pain not being able to walk outside without freezing my nuts off.

Haha! Only thing is, it is a long haul to get south far enough for it to warm up in the plains states. Not to mention that little jag through Canukland.

Wish you well Bullshop. Whatever you do keep your commonsense and don't push on when you know it aint right for safety. You won't do your family any good as a wilderness popsicle.

snowwolfe
12-28-2013, 11:51 AM

I lived in Alaska from 1976 until April 2013 and thought for sure I would miss it.
No way no how could you ever get me back there unless I won the lottery and then I would just stay for the summers.

You will like Texas, its a great state.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-28-2013, 12:15 PM
I'm not sure about the rest of the lower 48, But Minnesota was above freezing yesterday and today, but the bottom is going to drop out tomorrow...Zero or Below Zero for high temps for the next seven days !!!!
Good Luck Daniel.
Jon

Bad Water Bill
12-28-2013, 02:49 PM
Somewhere on this site there must be at least one trucker that can direct you to the quickest way to avoid those mountains with that white stuff on them.

Get to lower elevations as quickly as possible.

Now all you will have to worry about is the THOUSAND miles or so of open planes with their blizzards and white outs.

You will not be safe till you finally see the golf.

Then you can take off your mukluks and parka cause you know you have arrived.

All kidding aside just drive carefully and listen to local radio stations so you will know what to expect ahead.

snowwolfe
12-28-2013, 03:26 PM
Don't worry about being safe as far as weather, worry about being lucky! We just drove down to Austin Texas and back and last Saturday the troopers closed Highway 87 at Dumas TX due to a foot of snow. Since our truck is 4wd we managed to find a county road that went around Dumas and were still able to drive. Its a roll of the dice with snow anymore. Pray for luck!

Crawdaddy
12-28-2013, 03:30 PM
I'm not sure what your route is, but if you are around Abq and need a place to sleep and a hot meal you have it.

starmac
12-28-2013, 03:40 PM
BWB when you find that trucker that knows a route to Alaska without hills, please let me know. lol

BS just called we are having a heat wave, 11 below now. He is on his way here, so we can mount a fuel transfer tank, and service his pickup.

AkMike
12-28-2013, 03:45 PM
LOL, he'd probably have fun on Atigun during a blow!

Bad Water Bill
12-28-2013, 03:53 PM
BWB when you find that trucker that knows a route to Alaska without hills, please let me know. lol

But I thought A Gore said that by 2000 all of Alaska was to have melted and be as flat as the great planes.

He would NEVER think of lying now would he?:bigsmyl2:

AkMike
12-28-2013, 04:03 PM
He would NEVER think of lying now would he?:bigsmyl2:

A politician lying? :roll:

What is this world coming to???:coffeecom

starmac
12-28-2013, 04:05 PM
WELL it did warm up today to a downright pleasant tropical 11 below. I am afraid we might have some flooding as quick as everything is melting off. lol

AkMike
12-28-2013, 04:10 PM
That beats the heck out of that minus 99 a bit ago!

It's almost +20 here in the sunny southland!

Bad Water Bill
12-28-2013, 04:25 PM
It's almost +20 here in the sunny southland!

Time to get out your bikinis and short pants isn't it?:kidding:

starmac
12-28-2013, 06:40 PM
Believe it or not some folks wear shorts at 30 below. lol It is not uncommon at all to see people sitting on a bucket in the middle of the lake ice fishing, with a short sleeved tshirt on. lol

Bullshop Junior
12-29-2013, 06:08 AM
To guys interested in photos of the journey. I'll post some up on here, but to save room on this site, most of my photos will be loaded to Instagram and shared on my facebook page. My instagram ID is 01SIERRA_FAN. Facebook, you can search me either way, by name (Daniel Congiolosi) or by Email ( bullshopjunior@yahoo.com )

Now for the updates.

We had a BIG change in plans on this end. The plan had been that I would leave on the second, and get down there get settled and start working and then Amanda would fly down. In the mean time she was gonna stay with her parents. It was just assumed that this would be ok with them. well we found out now that its not ok for here to stay with them, so she is flying to Kentucky 6th or so to stay with her sister. Its cheaper for her to fly down there, then to spend the extra months rent here, plus fuel and heat for the house. So, that sets us back some. Oh well.

I'm still planning on leaving here on the second. I've been collecting Fred Meyers reward points, and put $300 into the gas tank that Starmac helped me install in the bed of the truck, paying a grand total of $2.77 a gallon. That should get me quite a ways I am hoping.

We changed the oil in the truck today as well as getting all my headlights working properly. I still have a side marker light to fix but I have the bulbs somewhere. with the tires we put on a few weeks ago, and the four old tires all mounted on rims for spares, I saw the truck is about ready.

I packed all my guns, clothes, and most of the stuff from the house that I am going to keep. I still need to pack the tools im bringing, but that's not too much more. I still have a lot of stuff to give away or haul to the dump, but it's all going pretty fast.

Things are falling into place. I'll probably be a little short on cash after helping Amanda pay for the plane ticket. She is paying what she can, but she hasn't had a job in way longer then I have so she doesn't have much. We are working on fixing her car so her dad can sell it once we get there.

thanks for all the help guys. Things are really looking up.

Bullshop Junior
12-29-2013, 06:10 AM
Dang, I forgot.

My instagram page.
http://instagram.com/01sierra_fan

and my facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/rustyfordlover

Bullshop Junior
12-29-2013, 06:15 AM
Believe it or not some folks wear shorts at 30 below. lol It is not uncommon at all to see people sitting on a bucket in the middle of the lake ice fishing, with a short sleeved tshirt on. lol

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/29/a7ape4yj.jpg

472x1B/A
12-29-2013, 04:08 PM
Yeah baby, I remember that a few times out on the ' Chain '. Never went bare skinned though. Brrrrr.

AK Caster
12-29-2013, 05:30 PM

Yea right, lol. They might do it for a few seconds but for a minute or more would mean frostbite. But maybe that is how Alaska keeps cleaning out the gene pool with idiots who sit outside in tee shirts and shorts at minus 30F.

starmac
12-29-2013, 05:56 PM
Yea right, lol. They might do it for a few seconds but for a minute or more would mean frostbite. But maybe that is how Alaska keeps cleaning out the gene pool with idiots who sit outside in tee shirts and shorts at minus 30F.

LOL I doubt they are staying out in it long, but you can go to wallmart any given day and see some come in with shorts on. They may have a parka on covering the upper body, but some folks just have to wear shorts for some reason. lol

jaysouth
12-29-2013, 10:17 PM
Any day I have to wear socks or long pants in a lost joyless day! I do get some looks from folks about wearing sandals and shorts on cold days.

Bullshop Junior
12-30-2013, 12:19 AM
LOL I doubt they are staying out in it long, but you can go to wallmart any given day and see some come in with shorts on. They may have a parka on covering the upper body, but some folks just have to wear shorts for some reason. lol

I dont do ahorts. Period. Everytime I put on shorts, I end up with stitches.

Bullshop Junior
12-30-2013, 12:20 AM
Status as of today I have hauled 18 truck loads of stuff to the dump. Most of what we are taking is packed. House is starting to look pretty empty.

jmort
12-30-2013, 12:27 AM
I didn't realize your wife was going, if so, good for both of you going on an adventure.

starmac
12-30-2013, 12:30 AM
LOL He introduced her to me yesterday, I might have mentioned she was nuts following some harry legged guy all the way to Texas. lol

jmort
12-30-2013, 12:35 AM
Better united. Should be quite an adventure, an adventure of a lifetime.

starmac
12-30-2013, 01:07 AM
LOL My little darling has followed me over a large part of the country with never a complaint, but she has mentioned that if I ever decide to leave Ak, I would be on my on. lol
Luckily I just don't see that happening.

jmort
12-30-2013, 01:17 AM
It is nice to settle down. Got to get there first. You are there, many of us are still on a journey.

Bullshop Junior
12-30-2013, 04:20 AM
I didn't realize your wife was going, if so, good for both of you going on an adventure.

It wasnt in the plan originally. She wS gonna stay here with her parents for a few months.

Bullshop Junior
12-30-2013, 06:59 AM
I saw something tonight that makes me feel alot better about the trip I am preparing for. I went to the store to get a couple small things, and I saw a man pull up on a motercycle....he started in ancorage, drove to fairbanks, and is now in delta. Craziest thing I have ever heard of.

southpaw
12-30-2013, 08:59 AM
I hear you there. Maybe not so much with the stitches but it seems I find briars with shorts on and mud if I put on sneakers. Therefore, I don't own shorts or sneakers. Just pants and boots. Better to be over prepared than under prepared.

Good luck with your trip.

Jerry Jr.

MtGun44
12-30-2013, 09:47 AM
Never could understand the strange folks wearing shorts when it is cold. Now somebody
says "joyless day" if he wears socks and long pants?????? Wow, that is amazingly weird
and pretty much incomprehensible that someone thinks that this is that important. I wear
shorts in the summer and long pants in the winter and to me the difference is completely
the difference in heat transfer. I really enjoy staying warm by having long pants on, and
have discovered the wonderfulness of flannel lined jeans in really cold weather.

And yep, I sure do look at the strange folks walking around in 30F weather in short pants.
Pretty strange, and actually, if you are not able to get inside soon enough for some reason,
will kill you from hypothermia.

Bill

starmac
12-30-2013, 04:27 PM
Last winter I met a motorcycle in a blow just north of Atigun. My thermometer was sitting at 9 below at the time, but the wind was howling and visibility was 50 feet or less. In a few miles it was 29 below and high winds, this guy had ridden through this weather. lol He camped at coldfoot and I caught up with him and talked to him the next morning. He had super nice gear, but still had splotches on his face frostbite had killed the skin. I don't really understand the people that do some of these things.

The truck a hundred feet or so called out on the radio to watch out a motorcycle was coming to meet me. lol I thought he was pulling my leg or his eyes had gone blurry trying to see the road in the blow. lol

DRNurse1
12-31-2013, 10:38 AM

Pants, try wearing pants. My mind still hurts from your image! Safe travels.

DRNurse1
12-31-2013, 10:58 AM
Better united. Should be quite an adventure, an adventure of a lifetime.

So my wife said, "Get out of that crazy job," after the third threatened lay off in three years with the third reprieve for my skill set. She said, Let's got to Vermont." I said you must be crazy, it is January and snowing up there! So, after I started my temp job in Vermont,....

Daniel, life is crazy and it is so much better sharing that craziness with your best friend and wife.

So, my wife said, "That was fun (VT), lets try Florida, next. They are offering a neat six month assignment there." I said you must be crazy, it is April now but May, June, July and August will be HOT down there! So, after I started working in Florida,.....

Ain't life grand!

tommag
12-31-2013, 11:52 AM
A bike!!! I've ridden bikes in my younger days in the winter in Montana. Even with full coverage helmet, insulated coveralls, and gi mittens, it was miserable atbest.
I've even ridden on black ice. (Nailed blocks if 2x4 to my overshoes with flatstock driven into saw kerf as "skags".
I haven't owned a bike in 33 years, but if I did, it wouldn't see sunshine in winter months.

Crawdaddy
12-31-2013, 01:07 PM
I moved 9 times over a 15 year period of time at one point in my life. It was truly an adventure every time. It broadens your horizons and gives you a true appreciation of different cultures.

Now I live in a place I hope to never leave. Aside from some of the politics it is paradise.

reloader28
12-31-2013, 01:48 PM
Oh ya. When we were kids in winter I used to pull my brothers on sleds behind my motorcycle.
What a blast. REALLY have to use your legs ALOT.
I think I got dumped off the cycle as much as I dumped them off the sleds.
We did that for hours and hours and for day after day.
Them was the GOOD OL DAYS.[smilie=2::bigsmyl2:

Freightman
12-31-2013, 02:02 PM
News report last evening had a report on the oil boom in the Texas Panhandle some towns have a 50% shortage of housing, hard to find a house in Amarillo that you can afford.
PS we have a 4% unemployment rate them are the hard core unemployed

DLCTEX
12-31-2013, 04:51 PM
In Wheeler, Tx there is no housing available and RV parks have sprung up everywhere and are usually full. Development of a massive oil field in Scurry and Fisher counties is reportedly held up due to lack of infrastructure, such as housing, fracking support, trucking, etc. It takes a while to develop these, especially when the feds make things so difficult and uncertain.

starmac
12-31-2013, 05:29 PM
The last time I spent the night in wheeler they did not mind letting you sleep in a jail cell. Luxuries were kind of sparse, and the mattress was 1/4 in plate steel. lol

onceabull
12-31-2013, 07:01 PM
If it's that great in Wheeler,I suppose metropolitan Shamrock must have an economy close to on fire...If the boom gets as far So.as Memphis,Tx.,Please advise ...onceabull

Bullshop Junior
12-31-2013, 11:25 PM
Well guys.... Just about there. Today we cleaned out the upstairs part of the house. Started loading the truck, and burned a lot of the stuff we havn't managed to give away. Tomorrow the lower lever of the house gets done, the truck finished loading, and I'll be on my way on thursday hopefully.

jmort
12-31-2013, 11:43 PM
Can I send you $25.00 on PayPal or should it go through other thread? God Speed

Bullshop Junior
01-01-2014, 12:24 AM
Thats up to you. If you want to paypal me directly my email is bullshopjunior@yahoo.com

DRNurse1
01-01-2014, 08:00 AM
Safe trip, Daniel, and I hope your better half enjoys her brief vacation while you trek south. PP to you. Happy New Year!

Bullshop Junior
01-02-2014, 03:15 AM
Well....i just threw the last strap on the truck. Everything I can live without has been sold, given away or burned. The load on the truck consist of a tool box, socket set, welder, a suit casr with my cordless power tools in it, a rubbermaid full of clothes and a couple house hold items, a couple log chains, a 110ga fuel tank, a few parts for the truck and a extra set of tires.

Gonna try to get some sleep tonight, although I dont have much hope for that happening, as I havnt slept more then a couple hours in te last weeks.

Filled truck up with gas today, and got some driving snacks. Pulling out first thing in the moring.

mikeym1a
01-02-2014, 03:23 AM
this is a late submission, but, look in your paypal, there's a small bit from me to help you on your way.

mikeym1a :-D

Alvarez Kelly
01-02-2014, 03:24 AM
Vaya con Dios.

Bullshop Junior
01-02-2014, 03:38 AM
this is a late submission, but, look in your paypal, there's a small bit from me to help you on your way.

mikeym1a :-D

I just saw the email. Thank you!

Bullshop Junior
01-02-2014, 12:24 PM
Well folks this is it. As we speak, I am sitting in my truck lettin it warm up. It is 7:23am Alaska standard time, and the temp is 9 degrees. I will tru to updste everytime I stop for gas.

Pb2au
01-02-2014, 12:29 PM
Good luck, be calm, safe travels to you sir.

snowwolfe
01-02-2014, 12:33 PM
Enjoy the drive. The "highway" is very peacefull this time of year and after day two each new day should bring warmer temperatures and more daylight.
About 60 miles before Dawson Creek there is a loop road you can take that by passes DC. If the roads are clear the loop can save you time. But if the roads are icy or snow covered avoid the loop as there are lots of curves and steep hills on the loop.

Bad Water Bill
01-02-2014, 12:56 PM
Remember to stop every 2 hours or so. Get out of the truck and bend backwards. Sure takes the kinks out of the spine. Yes I have heard that SNAP CRACK AND POP many times over the years.

With a 110 gal tank we should hear from you every other day or so. Set a safe mileage for each day and stick to it. You can get hypnotized from the road way to easily. Been there done that.

That trip has to many miles for a single driver to safely try setting a speed or endurance record. Your wife will be glad to wait an extra day or so if it gets you there safely in one piece.

Enough lecturing from an OLD man.

Charlie Two Tracks
01-02-2014, 12:59 PM
I keep the drivers window open a bit and I don't have it real comfortable in the cab when I am driving long distances. You get it too warm and comfortable in there and it is too easy to drift off to sleep.

dk17hmr
01-02-2014, 01:05 PM
If your coming through Wyoming, make sure you are doing the speed limit. The Highway Patrol share a building with my office and they have told me more than once out of state tags and speeding are getting busted and probably searched for drugs, California and Colorado mostly. Just because the Wyoming trucks aren't getting pulled over at 80-85mph doesn't mean an Alaska plate wouldn't get pulled over at 80mph.

snowwolfe
01-02-2014, 01:51 PM
One last thing. Do not plan on buying gas around Muncho Lake. It is without a doubt the mostly costly fuel you will find on your journey.

starmac
01-02-2014, 02:10 PM
He was planning on topping off his main tank in border city, so he should get to the edmonton area, before having to buy fuel. Alberta fuel is way cheaper than anywhere in BC.

Bullshop Junior
01-02-2014, 08:31 PM
Bourder city was closed down.

starmac
01-02-2014, 08:56 PM
I just talked to Daniel, he is getting close to white horse, so he is making good time.

snowwolfe
01-02-2014, 09:33 PM
Glad he made it past those nasty frost heeves around Beaver Creek. That stretch of highway just drives me nuts. Once when I rode a motorcycle up from Kentucky hit a frost heeve and it literally threw me up and off the bike. Thank heavens I had a good grip on the handlebars.

Bullshop Junior
01-02-2014, 10:33 PM
I hit a few of those. I then understood why the speedlimit was 50kph.

I just got to deadhorse. Fueling the truck, grabbing a burger and hitting the road again.

bruce drake
01-02-2014, 10:46 PM
one thing is certain...no frost heaves in the southern part of the United States!

Wots
01-02-2014, 11:32 PM
one thing is certain...no frost heaves in the southern part of the United States!

No frost heaves around here, but there's something to say about freeways buckling due to the heat.

http://jalopnik.com/5922904/heat+buckled-highway-causes-wild-dukes-of-hazzard-jump

kayak1
01-03-2014, 12:27 AM
I hit a few of those. I then understood why the speedlimit was 50kph.

I just got to deadhorse. Fueling the truck, grabbing a burger and hitting the road again.

Please just make sure you get some sleep in. Please be safe on the way down.

Artful
01-03-2014, 12:28 AM
Please just make sure you get some sleep in. Please be safe on the way down.

Big +1

AkMike
01-03-2014, 12:59 AM
Junior, If you're at Deadhorse (as in Prudhoe Bay) you went the wrong direction!

I hope you meant Whitehorse ( as in Yukon)!

Cag40Navy
01-03-2014, 01:07 AM
If Western Colorado is on your travel plans, I got some good breakfast and dinner options going locally here.

tommag
01-03-2014, 01:39 AM
Junior, If you're at Deadhorse (as in Prudhoe Bay) you went the wrong direction!

I hope you meant Whitehorse ( as in Yukon)!
I had to Google that. Whitehorse already is pretty good, Deadhorse, on the other hand.....oh crud, darned GPS!

AkMike
01-03-2014, 02:01 AM
I know it was a typo but it's a funny one! :bigsmyl2:[smilie=l:

jmort
01-03-2014, 02:14 AM
I was wondering about that Deadhorse pit stop.

starmac
01-03-2014, 04:00 AM
He must be clowning around, no place in deadhorse to get a burger. lol Not to mention, it would have been an extra 1200 miles for him. lol

Bullshop Junior
01-03-2014, 04:11 AM
It was a typo. Same as earlier i said whitewhore to someone or another...

I just rolled into watson lake. Im trying to get my truck as far south as I can before the fuel punp finishes going out. Its making a horrible noise, you can hear it whisling as I drive...hope I can make it to somewhere I can find one. They are spendy to start with..

wlc
01-03-2014, 04:37 AM
Not too bad. +- 765 miles down, according to mapquest anyway. Be careful. Get some sleep.

Is that fuel pump in the tank? I hope not.... Might do a quick fix and put in an inline electric pump if the computer will let you get by with it.

Gar
01-03-2014, 10:37 AM
If you can make it into Fort Nelson, there is a NAPA store there.
Not sure the stretch between Watson Lake and Fort Nelson is somewhere I'd like to be broke down.
Good luck.

Bullshop Junior
01-03-2014, 10:40 AM
Im almost to fort nelson. Ran into a snow storm so didnt make good time. Seriously seems like the last 400 miles or so were all uphill

AlaskanGuy
01-03-2014, 11:28 AM
Goooooooo Junior..... Dont put off that napa store.... At least buy one there and throw it into the cab of the truck for a quick roadside fix if needed..... Purty easy to fix on the side of the road.

AG

Bullshop Junior
01-03-2014, 12:46 PM
Buying a extra would be a awesome idea, if I had a extra $480 laying around.

Right now, i just rolled into Fort nelson, and have to fill the truck. After that I might try to get a short nap then im back on the road.

DrtRacr09
01-03-2014, 01:23 PM
I see you have a Chevy, before you spend money on a fuel pump I would check the front wheel bearings. Those pumps usually work or they don't. '86 and newer Chevy's seem to only get around 100 to 120 thousand miles out of the front bearings. A few select metric tools and they are very easy to change out.

Most parts stores they are around $150 to $180.

starmac
01-03-2014, 05:24 PM
I just talked to Daniel, and he had trouble getting on the net, but he made it to dawson city. It really sounds like the whining he is hearing may be because he ran through some ice fog. It is still running anyway.

DRNurse1
01-03-2014, 05:40 PM
Keep it safe, Bullshop Junior, and I hope your wife is not tracking your progress through 'whitehore!'

Tons of data out there about the reaction times and impairment of sleep deprived drivers so get some good and regular rest. I like 4 hour blocks with an 30-45 minutes off and no more than three n a row without a good rest break.

Look out, Texas....

Bullshop Junior
01-03-2014, 06:14 PM
Ive been trying to keep at at about a hour or two and ten either walk around for a few mins or get a short nap. I took a couple hour nap this morning. Hoping to be crossing into montana early tomorrow and maybe spend a day or two with some of the family before heading on to texas.

starmac
01-03-2014, 06:39 PM
It won't be long until you are on a four lane and the speed limit will kick up to 110. lol

snowwolfe
01-03-2014, 09:47 PM
Take your time in Montana. Cold front moving into Colorado tomorrow and it should last about 3 days.

Just another hint, when you see gas stations in Montana, Wy, or Colorado offer 85 octane that is "regular" gas. Buy the 85 and save some change. We get by with less octane due to the higher elevations.

bbailey7821
01-03-2014, 10:59 PM
Godspeed, Junior. You're heading to the promised land...

tommag
01-04-2014, 12:22 AM
Just talked to him, not having luck getting a motel room because of his age. My sister will get him a room in Shelby, if he wants one. He's making amazing time. Hopefully he won't exhaust himself.

Have a good trip, Daniel!

jmort
01-04-2014, 01:06 AM
I thought his wife was with him.

Artful
01-04-2014, 01:42 AM
I thought his wife was flying to her sister's as mom/dad didn't want to let her stay with them...

WILCO
01-04-2014, 01:42 AM
Just talked to him, not having luck getting a motel room because of his age.

A valid credit card will fix that.

Bad Water Bill
01-04-2014, 01:49 AM
Amelia (his wife)is flying to Ky and will stay with her sister who lives there till Jr is situated in sunny warm Texas.8-)

WILCO
01-04-2014, 01:51 AM
Amelia (his wife)is flying to Ky and will stay with her sister who lives there till Jr is situated in sunny warm Texas.8-)

Kinda surprised he didn't fly also. Seems it would've been easier and cheaper.

starmac
01-04-2014, 01:53 AM
I just got off the phone with him, he is 18 miles out of Edmonton. lol It is funny, when my son was his age and drove up, I talked to him in great falls, and 46 hours later he called and asked if supper was ready. lol

starmac
01-04-2014, 01:55 AM
Yea Amanda flew to her sisters, as she didn't have her passport yet.

Bad Water Bill
01-04-2014, 02:03 AM
He could not sell the truck for what he still owes on it.

If they flew many THINGS would be left behind and they would be without transportation when they got to the wide open spaces of Texas.

Dallas Tx is closer to Chiraq than it is to the farthest part of Tx.

mikeym1a
01-04-2014, 02:16 AM
Dan, just sent you a bit more through paypal. Stay safe. From what I just saw, you are nearly 'home'. mikey

R.M.
01-04-2014, 02:32 AM
Glad to see you cleared Canada Customs. Now to just get back in.

Menner
01-04-2014, 09:55 AM
Dan check your email for PP

Bullshop Junior
01-04-2014, 12:34 PM
Made it into montana.

Bad Water Bill
01-04-2014, 12:55 PM
CONGRATULATIONS

Welcome back to the U S A.

Now find a place to get a day or 2 o rest before continuing on.

You have earned the rest.

pmer
01-04-2014, 01:24 PM
attach=config]92623[/attach]

Glad things are going good! Gotta picture here to let him know that you can still ice fish in the lower 48! Almost have my limit of c rappies.

snowwolfe
01-04-2014, 06:25 PM
Ice fishing???? My idea of ice fishing is taking fish out of the freezer that I caught in the summer.

MtGun44
01-04-2014, 06:34 PM
Welcome back to the lower 48. Drive carefully, lots of 'interesting' weather ahead.

Maps showing foggy in southern Montana, and then snow south across Colorado, KS, Iowa and east.

Here is a pretty good weather route forecast link:

http://www.weather.com/travel/commute?layers=driving

put in where you are and where you are going, works out the route and
puts forecasts on the route at the times you will be there. Hit the "more
forecasts" button to fill in besides ends.

Bill

starmac
01-04-2014, 06:37 PM
He called a few minutes ago, and he was just a few miles from his parents place, where he would have no cell service. He is planning on laying over tomorrow, then on to Texas.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-04-2014, 07:04 PM
I'm Glad he is laying over, to get some rest...and see his family.
Good Luck !

mikeym1a
01-04-2014, 07:52 PM
You caught a freezer in the summer?

I guess it considered itself on vacation?/?

mikeym1a
01-04-2014, 07:53 PM
Glad you made it back into the US. Rest well, and keep us updated. We'll see you through to the end of your journey. mikey

AkMike
01-04-2014, 07:58 PM
You caught a freezer in the summer?

LOL, You beat me to it!

MtGun44
01-04-2014, 10:14 PM
Good day to lay over. Windy in eastern MT, snowing in SW MT and all of Colorado
in snow, pretty much.

Bill

Bad Water Bill
01-04-2014, 10:40 PM
I hope he made it to his folks place and rests a bit and also takes a close look at the truck as he still has a long way to go.

Hopefully we will get a report Monday or Tuesday.

starmac
01-04-2014, 11:21 PM
Bill he was only about 20 miles from his folks place when I talked to him, and he planned to stay at least through tomorrow.

Bad Water Bill
01-04-2014, 11:35 PM
How far to his destination once he leaves there?

starmac
01-04-2014, 11:44 PM
Without looking at a map, it has to be pushing 1500 miles. I'm not sure exactly where his parents live, just the general area of southwest Mt.

Bullshop Junior
01-05-2014, 12:14 AM
Well guys things are looking good. Might have a dayor two of work here with my brothers company since they need extra help. Should still be in texas the 12th.

MT Gianni
01-05-2014, 12:43 AM
IIRC, they are somewhere between Dell and Lima. 40 road miles with less than 40 students in the HS. Lima HS might draw over 100 linear miles for those as well.

Bullshop Junior
01-05-2014, 01:06 AM
They are right in dell.

onceabull
01-05-2014, 01:23 AM
And to narrow things a bit more,Dell is east of Wisdom and Wise River, and W.of I-15...my memory is Jr.is heading E.from there,(as opposed to the southern route thru SLC,Green River (Utah),Cortez,Co, and N.W. New Mexico, (best route passes a bit east of the actual Four Corners... Onceabull

starmac
01-05-2014, 01:44 AM
On my map dell is right on I 15 way south of wise river.

NWPilgrim
01-05-2014, 01:51 AM
Way to go Bullshop! Lots of miles behind you and done safely. Enjoy the tome with your family, nice you could do that. Godspeed on the remainder of your drive to TX.

Bullshop
01-05-2014, 03:13 PM
I just found out about this - we were unable to help Daniel leave Alaska - GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!! as Mom - I am crying - it is so good to see Daniel out of Alaska - he was unable to come when we left - he was working a pretty good job at the time - but knowing how harsh the winters can be - especially with no money - I thank God he was able to get out ---

you are all wonderful!

thanks again, for helping
love to all from
BS MOM!

Bad Water Bill
01-05-2014, 03:26 PM
Tina

A lot of good folks,prayers and best wishes got Jr back to your home.

Now you have to feed him LOTS of home grown healthy food so he can make it the rest of the way.

Now how about another family picture. We still have not seen what your youngest looks like and she is how old now?

Bullshop Junior
01-05-2014, 03:34 PM
I was planning on a few pics before I leave.

Bullshop
01-05-2014, 05:29 PM
LOTS of food is right!! the baby - well she is 2 -1/2 now .... it is so nice to have them all in the same place again!

BS Mom

Tina

A lot of good folks,prayers and best wishes got Jr back to your home.

Now you have to feed him LOTS of home grown healthy food so he can make it the rest of the way.

Now how about another family picture. We still have not seen what your youngest looks like and she is how old now?

MtGun44
01-05-2014, 07:32 PM
Just drove across southern Illinois and all of Mo from St. Louis to KC in lots of snow. Temp
in KC area is 9F now and going to -9F tonight.

It was quite unpleasant all day and a lot of wrecked cars, including one Mo State Trooper.

Stay with your folks until this clears up a bit, it really sucked.

Bill

Artful
01-05-2014, 08:27 PM
Rest up and Eat up some good home cooking. :wink:

Plus you have that fuel pump to look after - 1500 miles is a lot of pumping!

doctorggg
01-05-2014, 09:47 PM
JR I am so glad you made it to your parents. Enjoy your time with them. Work some if possible but get plenty of rest. I've been praying for you. Be careful on your next leg of the trip. Wishing the GMC well. I hope it holds up.

Love Life
01-05-2014, 09:52 PM
What is the price a new fuel pump for your truck?

Bullshop Junior
01-05-2014, 10:11 PM
About 480. I have a spare i pulled from my parts truck. I just didnt wanna change it on the side of the road in canada. Its still running so im not gonna screw with it.

Mk42gunner
01-06-2014, 08:32 AM
I don't blame you for not wanting to change a fuel pump unless it is necessary. I am guessing the one in your truck is in the tank, right?

I just had one go out on my F150, and I really don't want to crawl under the truck in this cold weather. Fortunately I have an old Ranger I can drive until it warms up a bit (like 60 degrees).

I really wish the geniuses that decided on in tank pumps had to change a few of them on the road...

Robert

Bad Water Bill
01-06-2014, 09:06 AM
Henry Ford said every man should be able to repair his car.

Upon his death the draftsmen took over.

How a mechanic can repair their creation NEVER enters their mind.

I think EVERY draftsman should serve a 4 year apprenticeship as a mechanic before ever picking up a pencil.

472x1B/A
01-06-2014, 09:39 AM
^^^ You could not have said it any better Bill. I agree 1000%. 22 years as a heavy equipment mechanic. 6 years on fire trucks, a plumbers nitemare.

Hey Jr./Jack you be carefull out there. No monkey'in around and gettin hurt.

19112TAP
01-06-2014, 09:54 AM
I agree with you Bill, I have been a draftsman for over 28 years and I can say I try to spend time in the shop and working with the guys building the products and have learn more then my brain can store.

Bullshop Junior
01-06-2014, 10:17 AM
Mine is the tank, although I have a small battery powered jig saw so if it came down to it im just cutting s hole in the bed, instead of unloading everythkng and taking it off.

DeanWinchester
01-06-2014, 10:21 AM
Mine is the tank, although I have a small battery powered jig saw so if it came down to it im just cutting s hole in the bed, instead of unloading everythkng and taking it off.

Make a decent clean cut and you could fiberglass the piece back in pretty easy.
Here's to hoping you don't have to until its warm enough to wear short sleeves and drink beer while doing it!:drinks:
Best of luck to you!

AlaskanGuy
01-06-2014, 11:16 AM
Holy crapola jr.... I remember in an earlier post about me telling ya to do a roadside change over... Diddnt realize that yours was in the tank... That would just SUCK.... I remember when all the fuel pumps were mounted on the side of the block.... Occasionally folks back then would splurge and go electric pump... But what the heck happened???? Next moment some idiot changes every single truck and puts them in the gas tank???? What communist rocket scientist idiot gas tank sucking person thought that one up anyway??? I guess the dollar is king, cuz cost me over 500 bucks to change mine once.... Used to cost me 30 bucks.... I guess that communist rocket scientist idiot gas tank sucking person was a bookkeeper.... :(

Bullshop Junior
01-06-2014, 11:24 AM
Make a decent clean cut and you could fiberglass the piece back in pretty easy.
Here's to hoping you don't have to until its warm enough to wear short sleeves and drink beer while doing it!:drinks:
Best of luck to you!

I wanna build a flat bee on this truck anyway, but i could weld it back in too.

garym1a2
01-06-2014, 01:12 PM
Sorry, but to mess up a design like this takes managments help.

I think EVERY draftsman should serve a 4 year apprenticeship as a mechanic before ever picking up a pencil.

WILCO
01-06-2014, 01:32 PM
I have a small battery powered jig saw so if it came down to it im just cutting s hole in the bed......

I wouldn't go that route.

garym1a2
01-06-2014, 01:35 PM
I dropped a tank and replaced the fuel pump on a 1991 chevy truck once, its not that hard. I did it in a pasture, the only difficult part is empty the gas tank.
If the truck runs I question it being bad.

Bullshop Junior
01-06-2014, 01:37 PM
Ive changed mine before. I can pull the bed off in about 30 mins. I usually cut a hole though and weld it back up.

blackthorn
01-06-2014, 08:07 PM
You likely already knew this but in case you didn't:

Changing Chev/GMC fuel pump.
Do not try to drop the tank from the bottom, you will learn new cuss words. Pull the wiring plug at the left rear of the box, pull 8 box bolts, then the fitting and ground wire at the filler and just lift the box to the rear and out of the way. Do not just replace the pump itself but rather replace the whole canister assembly with the new pump. The cross over point in the lid will get just the tiniest amount of corrosion at the points and if you just replace the pump, there is a good possibility the resistance in the corrosion will cause the new pump to burn out. In addition, change the fuel filter once a year and don't run the tank below 1/4 tank on gas too often.

I got this right here on Cast Boolits and saved it cause both my sons drive 3/4 ton GM's. One of them used to be mine and I never got much over 100,000 KM before the **** fuel pump let go!

starmac
01-06-2014, 09:36 PM
Them beds get a little heavier when there is a 110 gallon transfer tank in them. lol I have changed lots of them both ways, and if the bed is empty and didn't come from the rust belt, it is the easiest method.

Alan in Vermont
01-06-2014, 10:07 PM
I wouldn't go that route.

Why not? I did that on an 89 GMC I had. I cut a big "I" hole overthe pump area and just folded the flaps up. Put some flat stock in the ribs under the bed, with pop rivets, then bent the flaps back down after the pump was in and riveted them to the straps as well. The next time it failed I just had to drill the rivets out. Truck had a bedliner so it didn't show at all.

Bullshop Junior
01-06-2014, 11:23 PM
Them beds get a little heavier when there is a 110 gallon transfer tank in them. lol I have changed lots of them both ways, and if the bed is empty and didn't come from the rust belt, it is the easiest method.

And its still half full lol.

DRNurse1
01-07-2014, 09:45 AM
"Colder in Georgia than parts of Alaska today--Fox News"

Glad you are well on your way but since your earlier GPS issue (Dead- vs White-horse), I was just wondering if you were noticing peach trees out your windows? Seems this 'Arctic Air' is following y'all South and I thought you might have missed a left turn in Indiana.

[smilie=l:---:bigsmyl2:---:drinks:

WILCO
01-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Why not? I did that on an 89 GMC I had.

Well, Bubba truck repairs will lower the resale value even more, and seeing how there's still a note on the truck, it'll make it that much harder to climb out from the debt, should he have to part with it. Plus, I've never known an ASE certified tech to make such a repair. Like you know, there's two ways of doing things. The right way and......

southpaw
01-07-2014, 10:41 AM
Like you know, there's two ways of doing things. The right way and......

And the way you do things when you are broken down on the side of the road and money is tight.

Jerry Jr.

reloader28
01-07-2014, 10:51 AM

Dont forget architec's. They are probably the DUMBEST smart people on the planet. The stuff they expect you to build looks good on paper, but dont work in real life.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-07-2014, 08:18 PM
"you know I always wanted to pretend to be an architect", george costanza
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DUPfQCvHXw
@ 1:13

Bullshop Junior
01-08-2014, 12:51 AM
Well guys, last day here in montana. Gonna hit the road in the morning hopefully. Had a good couple of days here, and within doing some horse tradding with my brothers ended up with a rossi 92 in 454 so im pleased about that.

I have had several job offers around here, one for $25 a hour, but sixe I am already expected in texas, im heading that way in the AM. Did some work on the truck amd ahould be good for the rest of the trip.

Sweetpea
01-08-2014, 01:17 AM
If you make it down my way, I'll horsetrade that '92 outta ya...:bigsmyl2:

Godspeed, and good luck.

Brandon

Bullshop Junior
01-08-2014, 01:23 AM
If you make it down my way, I'll horsetrade that '92 outta ya...:bigsmyl2:

Godspeed, and good luck.

Brandon

I have been wanting that little 92 for a long time. I was surprised he let it go just because he didn't wanna load ammo for it and factory 454 is expancive and 45 colt are low power.

Sweetpea
01-08-2014, 01:25 AM
Yeah... That "low power" 45 is big enough to kill any animal in the lower 48.

Maybe not ideal, but still...

Bullshop Junior
01-08-2014, 01:26 AM
Yea it is. I figured the 454 loaded with my dads 400gn boolit would be ideal for hogs.

MtGun44
01-08-2014, 01:16 PM
. . . . and the one standing behind him, too.

Bill

Bullshop Junior
01-08-2014, 01:37 PM
Ive heard them pigs can get mean. When I had a bear charge last year the 900 gn 12ga slug felt small.

Bullshop Junior
01-08-2014, 01:38 PM
Anyway. Just about got the truck loaded up. Heading to billings today and then on down to texas.

kayak1
01-08-2014, 02:28 PM
Anyway. Just about got the truck loaded up. Heading to billings today and then on down to texas.

Drive safe. Please get plenty of rest as you go, driving tired is a real issue.

w5pv
01-08-2014, 03:33 PM
Ill tell yall what ill do. I can pick up a map and ill start putting a dot where each member that has offered is, and then I can make a route based on that.

And as for ticket, 75 is only ten over here, 5 over most places. Ive never been pulled over for speedif and i drive about 100,000 miles a year
They love that kind of thinking around here,the 1st 15 days of the are the worst.For the most part the speed limit is set at 75 mph. But do b careful.

garym1a2
01-08-2014, 04:30 PM
You don't need a gun for Hogs in the right sections of Texas. The front bumper will do just fine.

Yea it is. I figured the 454 loaded with my dads 400gn boolit would be ideal for hogs.

kayak1
01-08-2014, 07:10 PM
You don't need a gun for Hogs in the right sections of Texas. The front bumper will do just fine.

Might scratch the paint.... A 45-70 will keep the truck safe.

MtGun44
01-08-2014, 07:24 PM
Good luck!

Hope the weather is good for you.

Bill

Bullshop Junior
01-08-2014, 10:56 PM
Just made it into billings. Gonna head to texas in the morning and should be there the morning after.

Freightman
01-08-2014, 11:31 PM
where are you going in TX?

Bullshop Junior
01-09-2014, 01:12 AM
Gonzales

MtGun44
01-09-2014, 01:41 AM
Going to be a LOT warmer there than where you started!

Good luck.

Bill

Bullshop Junior
01-09-2014, 07:24 AM
Oh yea. I finally strted to see the above freezing temps I was promised yesterday.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/09/egejy6a5.jpg

WILCO
01-09-2014, 01:17 PM
Oh yea. I finally strted to see the above freezing temps I was promised yesterday.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/09/egejy6a5.jpg

Oh great! Distracted driving............:groner:

Bullshop Junior
01-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Oh great! Distracted driving............:groner:

Made it into wyoming.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/10/e2evy7ed.jpg

Bullshop Junior
01-09-2014, 05:18 PM
When do you think you'll be passing thru North Texas?

What part of north Texas are you in? Ill be through there late tonight or early tomorrow.

Bullshop Junior
01-09-2014, 05:24 PM
Not sure i anyone is along the route I am taking. I talked to 300savage and if I could fine a place to waste a day or two that would be good. If not ill just camp out in my truck for a couple days.

The blue dot is where I am, the darker /blue line is my route.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/10/yta9e6ur.jpg

Running into some heady head winds in Wyoming that are blowing in the 50 and 60 mph range, so even doing 50 my truck is just sucking up gas, and that rather sucks since im gonna be penny pinching my last couple dollers to make it all the way lol.

Bad Water Bill
01-09-2014, 05:34 PM
Looks like you are taking I 25 south.

What is the rest o your route so others can help?

Bullshop Junior
01-09-2014, 05:39 PM
Ive been on i25 for awhile. Ill take a screem shot of the route and post it

Bullshop Junior
01-09-2014, 05:47 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/10/utu5utuv.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/10/pu9yzese.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/10/y5avadu8.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/10/tuna6y9a.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/10/jyvu7y7y.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/10/sa3unevy.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/10/9a7arate.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/10/u7avuzyb.jpg

kayak1
01-09-2014, 05:47 PM
If we kick in a few more $'s to your paypal can get get to it and use it for more gas? I rather not see you stuck at the side of the road. I rather see some more pictures of progress south.

starmac
01-09-2014, 05:49 PM
I 25 to denver then jumping on 287 to Texas would be the main route. If you are going to have to hole up somewhere a day or two anyway, sop at a truckstop and kickback until after dark, the wind usually dies down some. I used to do this pretty regular when trucking in that part of the world. There is no real reason to buck the wind, if you are not in a hurry.

Bullshop Junior
01-09-2014, 05:49 PM
Ive got a bunch of photos i was gonna post later on.

MtGun44
01-09-2014, 11:26 PM
You know, in Texas, water is a LIQUID! :bigsmyl2:

Bill

starmac
01-09-2014, 11:47 PM
Are ya trying to say if he mentions walking on water, dem Texans is gonna want him to prove it. lol

Bullshop Junior
01-10-2014, 12:27 AM
Lol. I'll keep the water in mind. I just got into new mexico.

TXGunNut
01-10-2014, 12:36 AM
What part of north Texas are you in? Ill be through there late tonight or early tomorrow.

I work in Decatur, on 287 North and West of the metromess. How are you doing on gas?
I drive thru Gonzales on the way to the deer lease, you and Ranch Dog will practically be neighbors.

TXGunNut
01-10-2014, 12:40 AM
PM sent

rockrat
01-10-2014, 12:54 AM
Must have gone a different route. Gonna guess you are about in Raton, then heading towards Clayton then Dalhart,Dumas and South to Amarillo. Been on that route so many times cannot count. Watch for the HP around Raton, especially East of there and getting near Clayton, then as you get close to Dalhart, just east of there and near Dumas!! Can't help you out of Amarillo as I usually hit I-40 East from there.

Bad Water Bill
01-10-2014, 06:01 AM
So where are you now and what is your route to Gonzalez?

Bullshop Junior
01-10-2014, 06:25 AM
Im parked of the side of 287 right now waiting for light. For some reason my truck desided to burnout both of my low beam ballest (they are pretty old) and the spares I brought have the wrong hookup. I thought I had a spare set of stock type bulbs too but can't seem to find them.

Bullshop Junior
01-10-2014, 06:27 AM
Must have gone a different route. Gonna guess you are about in Raton, then heading towards Clayton then Dalhart,Dumas and South to Amarillo. Been on that route so many times cannot count. Watch for the HP around Raton, especially East of there and getting near Clayton, then as you get close to Dalhart, just east of there and near Dumas!! Can't help you out of Amarillo as I usually hit I-40 East from there.

Yep. Thays exactly the way I came.

Bad Water Bill
01-10-2014, 06:39 AM
Im parked of the side of 287 right now waiting for light. For some reason my truck desided to burnout both of my low beam ballest (they are pretty old) and the spares I brought have the wrong hookup. I thought I had a spare set of stock type bulbs too but can't seem to find them.

Looks like someone is sending you a message.

Pull over and get some needed shut eye.

I have found over 60 years NOT to ignore those messages.

Now tell us where you are so some fellow members can pitch in if they are near.

reloader28
01-10-2014, 11:39 AM
Shoot, I figured you were heading on down thru Idaho. Wish I would have checked this sooner. I was just in Billings a couple nights ago.
Its only a little over an hour north of me. We even have an extra spare bed room and a shop if needed.

I have a good buddy in Gillette and an uncle in Rawlins, but nobody the way your going.
I take that back. I got a cousin in Casper I dont talk to very often. He's different.:roll:

Bullshop Junior
01-10-2014, 01:22 PM
I think everyone in Casper is a little difforant lol.

Bad Water Bill
01-10-2014, 01:34 PM
Looks like you took a little nap. Good for you.

Now tell us where you are now and your NEW route so some fellow members can pitch in if they are near.

Freightman
01-10-2014, 02:43 PM
You will be within 4 miles of my house when you get to the I40 *
87-287 interchange. PM me I will get you my no.

Bad Water Bill
01-10-2014, 09:35 PM
Daniel where arrrre you?

AkMike
01-10-2014, 10:14 PM
Daniel where arrrre you?

Somewhere's between here and there![smilie=1:

TXGunNut
01-10-2014, 11:24 PM
I talked to him a little after noon today, was a little north of Ft Worth at the time.

Bad Water Bill
01-10-2014, 11:47 PM
He said at 0430 he had lost both headlights so driving after dark IS a major problem.

Hopefully he made it there and found a bed and is enjoying a few hours of sleep.

Keep us informed.

Oh to be that young and indestructible again.:bigsmyl2:

starmac
01-10-2014, 11:52 PM
If they made pickups 2 feet wider, he could just stretch out in the back seat, but he is pretty long. lol

TXGunNut
01-11-2014, 12:13 AM
He said at 0430 he had lost both headlights so driving after dark IS a major problem.

Hopefully he made it there and found a bed and is enjoying a few hours of sleep.

Keep us informed.

Oh to be that young and indestructible again.:bigsmyl2:

He got the headlights working and got some rest. And yes, when that young man stretches out he needs a lot of room.

Bad Water Bill
01-11-2014, 12:26 AM
He is young.

Bending a lot at the knees to fit works if you are really tired enough.

Did that many times as an E2 stationed at Va Beach and wanting to see historical sites,mountains etc and I am still here 50 + years later to remember.

AlaskanGuy
01-11-2014, 12:32 AM
I just read an old post from him in the old archives about the Bator Heavy.... He wanted one for moose hunting... He must have been about 12 back in 2003... Lol

AkMike
01-11-2014, 12:57 AM
He is young.

There's a cure for that! He'll find out about it soon enough!:roll:

Bullshop Junior
01-11-2014, 09:35 AM
I just read an old post from him in the old archives about the Bator Heavy.... He wanted one for moose hunting... He must have been about 12 back in 2003... Lol

In 2003 I was 10 actually.

Bullshop Junior
01-11-2014, 09:39 AM
Alright guys. Here is another update. Its been rather hectic so I havn't been online.

I made it down to Gonzales. 300sav helped me find a decent place to stay forca price I could afford. And he had quite a bit of work lined out for me, and we are gonna go talk to a few guys today.

Only problem im having so dar is amanda and her sister starter fighting sooner then I thought they would snd now I gotta get the money to fly her here. But she is gonna have to deal with her sister for another week or two first.

Moonman
01-11-2014, 10:38 AM
JR,

I sure hope that you and your wife can take the lengthy temp periods (100+)

in that part of Texas, if not you're going to be miserable.

A miserable wife is hell to pay to live with.

Texan's also seem to have there own way of doing things, because they're TEXANS.

Texans are damned proud of that birthright and the way they go about things too. (JMHO)

If she's fighting with her sister already, New and Different neighbors could also be a problem.

Texas has some different CRITTERS than Alaska that have to be dealt with.

(Rattlers, Scorpions, Wild Hogs, Killer Bees, Fire Ants,

along with some two legged CARTEL TYPES).

Good Luck, you may just need a lot of it, and soon.

Bullshop Junior
01-11-2014, 10:46 AM
I agree with wilco. I tend to
Like to think if everyone else can survive down here so can I. So far I actually really like it.

WILCO
01-11-2014, 10:54 AM
I agree with wilco. I tend to
Like to think if everyone else can survive down here so can I. So far I actually really like it.

Dang! I decided to hit the "Self Mod" button, but I wasn't fast enough.
There's a lot to be said of a "Drama Free" life. Way too expensive to escape from, once you're twisted into it. You're young enough. Spend some time thinking about your future and where you go from this point forward.

reloader28
01-11-2014, 10:58 AM
HA, if women aint fighting its because they're sleeping.
Got to love facebook. I think it starts more fights on this planet than all other things combined.

WILCO
01-11-2014, 10:59 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Stupid-Things-Mess-Their-Lives/dp/0060929448

WILCO
01-11-2014, 11:01 AM
I've given the "Female" version of this book and it was well received.