PDA

View Full Version : Smelting Ladle--Dipper

oneokie
11-26-2007, 02:38 AM
Need suggestions for a smelting ladle or dipper for transfering the melt from the smelting pot to the ingot mould.

What do you use?

My ingot mould is 1.5 pound size. Am thinking of welding one of the preformed domed pipe caps to a piece of bar stock?

leftiye
11-26-2007, 05:05 AM
There are ladles on evilbay in sizes from the lyman and RCBS casting ladles on up in 1,2, lb sizes to 6'' in diameter. For making ingots anything that will scoop well and get all of the lead out will work. I find you need a small (2 1/2 inches) one for right at the last in emptying the pot, and a bigger one say 4 inches in diameter for the rest. I'd think a little thinner than a pipe cap, and as round as possible (hemispherical) in shape is desireable. You might be able to forge one with an acetylene rosebud and a round form.

44man
11-26-2007, 08:20 AM
I use a cast iron ladle but you can use a stainless soup ladle. The handle will be spot welded so drill it and put some rivits or screws to make sure the handle doesn't come off. I would also bend a spout to make it easy to pour if it doesn't have one.

crabo
11-26-2007, 08:38 AM
http://www.advancecarmover.com/details.php?sku=03604&line=Ladles&pname=Rowell_ladle_#4

I use this so I can pour a 3 pound ingot with each fill. It makes a difference when you are getting to the bottom of the pot to be able to scoup up enough lead to fill the ingots. You can fill a lot more without going back to the pot.

mike in co
11-26-2007, 03:45 PM
I JUST WENT TO THE LOCAL RESTRAUNT SUPPLY STORE....tons of laddles in lots of sizes....and a 6lbd'er for clearing clips( just drill a couple very small hiles to drain lead) was all of 2 bucks!

mike