PDA

View Full Version : 357 mag Seating Depth

milkman
12-21-2013, 02:19 PM
I'm very inexperienced with pistol loading so this probably a dumb question, but here goes. I have a S&W .357 that I shoot both 357 and 38 Spec brass in. I am loading a start load of Green Dot in the 38 Spec and a start load of 2400 in the mag under the same 158g Lee TL and using the same set of dies for both cartridges which requires a lot of fiddling with die adjustment.
My question is can I load to the same OAL for both cartridges? The extra case capacity in the 38 should lower pressure and if there is enough pressure for the boolit to exit the barrel then all should be well... right??

Milkman

winelover
12-22-2013, 10:08 AM
No need to be constantly fiddling with die adjustment as long as you are using the same boolet in both the 38 and 357! Most combination dies come with a .10" spacer just for this reason. Adjust your dies for the shorter version (38 Spl.) in this case then place the spacer below the lock ring when switching to 357 Magnum.

As a relatively new re-loader, one should be sticking to published load data, particularly when it comes to cartridge OAL and powder charges. There are safety concerns for both over charged as well as under-charged cartridges. Load recipes should be followed very closely until one graduates to an advanced re-loader. Then all bets are off and you will suffer the consequences of your mistakes.

BTW, case capacity of the 38 is always less than the 357 Magnum.

Winelover

dragon813gt
12-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Do yourself a favor and load everything in magnum brass. You can load to 38 special level in it. And you don't have to worry about adjusting your dies or cleaning carbon out of the cylinder.

winelover
12-22-2013, 10:35 AM
Do yourself a favor and load everything in magnum brass. You can load to 38 special level in it. And you don't have to worry about adjusting your dies or cleaning carbon out of the cylinder.

Yes, that will work up till the point when you start accumulating more guns that only chamber 38 Special. Versatility is the key!

Winelover

JWFilips
12-22-2013, 10:36 AM
When I started out shooting with a .357 mag I had a mix of 38 Spec & 357 Mag brass I loaded & shot both But once I got enough .357 mag brass I just switched over to that exclusivly for my .357 mag pistols. Then that simplified many things: Loading, cleaning the cylinders and sorting the brass after shooting.
I even run my lightest ( .38 spec type) target loads in .357 mag brass In my .357. mag revolvers.

What happened next was; I had so much .38 Special brass squirreled away I had no choice to buy a .38 Special revolver!:-o

Larry Gibson
12-22-2013, 12:04 PM
milkman

In answer to your question(s);

My question is can I load to the same OAL for both cartridges? The extra case capacity in the 38 should lower pressure and if there is enough pressure for the boolit to exit the barrel then all should be well... right??

Yes you can load to the same oal in both the .38 SPL and 357 cases and all will be safe psi wise. When loaded in 357 cases I crimp the Lee TL358-158-SWC in the front lube groove. If loaded to the same oal in 38 SPL cases the crimp is in the 4th lube groove from the front. Depending on method of carrying ammunition the exposed lube may or may not pose a problem with the 38 SPL loaded cases.

Assuming from your post the 357 magnum loads be used only in the 357 cases......that is the best course of action since you have the magnum cases.

Larry Gibson