PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on a savage axis 223 rem

kyle623
12-21-2013, 09:14 AM
I'm picking up a savage axis in 223 rem today and I am wondering what people here might suggest to improve this rifle. I'm looking at a boyds stock for sometime next year already.

Jailer
12-21-2013, 11:22 AM
Stock and some trigger work.

You can put a lighter spring in it and shim the side play out of it to help but a Timney makes a big difference.

I swapped barrels on mine and it's a 300 blk now. I shoot it more than any other rifle I own.

pietro
12-21-2013, 12:22 PM

My Son won a game dinner $20 raffle for one last Spring, and neither of us has found the need to do anything other than zero/shoot it.

His rifle's a camo/package with a cheapo scope that he plans to replace when/if it messes up - which it hasn't, so far..............

I like the size/feel of the wrist/grip a lot.

AlaskanGuy
12-21-2013, 01:01 PM
I would say just put one of them nice 100 dollar wood stocks on it when you get around to it.., till then just enjoy it.... Get yourself one of them lee bator molds and join the rest of us in messing around finding out what shoots best and have your self a blast....

I have a couple of them axis, and enjoy them greatly... So does AlaskanGurl...

Ag

seaboltm
12-21-2013, 01:56 PM
I don't know that I would do anything to it except make sure there is a rock solid steel scope mount and rings and a decent scope. Then shoot it. I ran a police precision shooter course with a Savage in 223 and did fine. In fact the guys shooting very expensive rifles had no real advantage.

Bullshop Junior
12-21-2013, 02:09 PM
I handled one and I rather liked it...

DOn't they have a fully adjustable trigger like all the savage 110's? if not...I would be looking at a 110, since here they can be had cheaper then the axis.

Jack Stanley
12-21-2013, 05:25 PM
I like mine other than the noodle stock that wiggles all over while you're trying to test for the best load . I like that the bolt is easy to lift after firing the rifle , it's probably the easiest lift of all the rifles I own . Solid mounts and good scope make up a good package except for that worthless , flimsey , recycled milk jug they call a stock .

It stands in the corner now waiting on the off chance the Boyds or Richards might make a drop in stock for it . But since my left hand CZ arrived I notice the axis is inching closer to the "sell at gun show" pile .

Jack

DeanWinchester
12-21-2013, 05:41 PM
I had one in 308. It was light and had a decent trigger. Would group jacketed bullets like there was no tomorrow. It ABSOLUTELY refused to shoot a cast boolit and it had a really short throat.
Traded it to a buddy who only shoots jacketed bullets in it and he LOVES it.

khmer6
12-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Hear a lot of good things about them. The action is smooth, a hell of a lot better than the Remington 770. And for 300 bucks as a combo, hard to say no

kyle623
12-21-2013, 06:05 PM
Well, did a mod on the trigger i got off you tube and its a lot better now, now to get some range time and see if I like the stock or if its getting a new boyds on it.

NVScouter
12-22-2013, 03:54 PM
I don't care for stock savages or the Accutrigger. The Axis doesn't have one so when a guy needed cash I bought it. Haven't shot it but the stock is **** and flexy to the point I'm amazed people buy these. The. Bolt throw is also very high so if you think you want medium rings buy high rings.

The barrel only had 12 rounds down it when I got it. I cleaned it, and cleaned it. Then went to Uncle Eds bore polish. Finally got it clean. Nasty nasty residue.

wistlepig1
12-22-2013, 10:20 PM

Here is the Boyd stock I put on mine last week.

AlaskanGuy
12-22-2013, 11:55 PM
Wow... that is Purty......

wistlepig1
12-23-2013, 12:10 AM
Thanks AlaskanGuy, That going to be my Lee Bator gun. That is a nice stock from Boyd for $100, tax, and recappable tires.

clownbear69
12-23-2013, 12:23 AM
Really wish that the mounts would be much closer to the rear of the receiver to have much better scope adjustment

GabbyM
12-23-2013, 03:24 AM
Use the rifle as it is.
Adding accessory to a $300 rile is a fools game.
Do the math and you'll see you could just buy an M70 for less money. No matter what you do to a Savage you still have a Savage. BTW I got myself tossed off Savage forum. Only took about three weeks back years ago too. You know the one that rips the Savage name? That's why you don't hear anyone on there pointing out simple math. Just figure it out yourself. You learned that in about fourth grade. Or you could do like there shill up above suggested and send in $15. Hell for $100 I'll give you some real good deals. If you want to go that way. Actually no as I'm a Christian and can't do that.

kyle623
12-23-2013, 09:12 AM
wistlepig, how heavy is that stock? I'm thinking the classic style in the pepper color for mine, not much on thumb hole stocks.
GabbyM, If they would have had a m70 at the time for a decent trade, I might have went that way. As it is, I have this rifle. Unfortunately, the winchesters aren't all that like they used to be. This isn't my first savage and all my others shoot just as good as any of the winchesters I have. Half the fun of getting a new gun is to make it unique to me. So, to each his own.
this is what it looks like right now.

GabbyM
12-23-2013, 04:55 PM
You're right Kyle623.

Don't practice what I preach either. Just put a Boyd's stock , walnut sporter , on my old Weatherby vanguard last month. Was tired of the Weatherby chisel chin for end and the recoil from the dropped monte carlo. I bought the extra cushy recoil pad. Now wishing I'd had it checkered. Those Howa actions are a tad heavy and the slick stock is hard to hold onto. The field grade walnut is fairly nice. Not quite as pretty as the wood on my FN M70 but they look like brothers now sitting in the cabinet. Have owned that Weatherby since the mid 1970’s and just didn’t want to trade it away.

kyle623
12-23-2013, 05:54 PM
sound like a good deal, I haven't really cared for the grey synthetic stocks on the weatherby, so I never got one,yet, lol

wistlepig1
12-23-2013, 06:46 PM
Kyle, I don't know what it ways but on much. If you like I will find out the next time I dismount it. I have the "pepper" in a Ruger 243 and I think you will be pleased. About thumb hole stocks you ether like them or don't. Like most of the things in this Post, do or don't is up to you. Like the old question " what is the best ice cream" very one like Rocky road, except the guys that like cherry. This is a subject that has very few right answers.

kyle623
12-23-2013, 08:57 PM
thats ok, i just wondered if it added a lot of weight to the gun. no need to weigh it. the more i look at the pepper stock the more i like it lol

GabbyM
12-23-2013, 10:32 PM
sound like a good deal, I haven't really cared for the grey synthetic stocks on the weatherby, so I never got one,yet, lol

Actually it was the fancy walnut Sporter model. They get a lot of money for them. I paid $250 for that rifle when a Rem 700 was under $200. This was before they sold Weatherby’s in Wal-Mart. Not sure Wally’s existed yet even.

Drop at the heal and the comb made a stock that when combined with the 270 Win caliber. Would skew your eye glasses when you shot it. Shoot it from prone and your shoulder would feel like it broke. Bought that Win 70 last year in 30-06 and it shoots like a ***** cat. Light bulb went off in my head. I need to get a stock like this on my 270. Was $162 to my door with the Pachmayr pad $30 option. Checkering is something like $40. Wish I’d got it because I can see myself dropping this rifle. But hey an M1 didn’t have checkering.

If weight is a big consideration. The standard grade walnut will be lighter than the laminates.

Buds sells barreled action Howas for $385. Vanguard is just a Howa with Weatherby name on it. Drop it in this $162 stock for a $547 rifle. Probably get $500 out of the Sporter. I never looked to see what they sell for. I should place the old stock on gun Broker and maybe get a few bucks there. My
FN M70 was $770 out the door at my dealers last year.

Downside on the Howa is they are several ounces heavier than a Rem, Win or Savage. Plus they aren’t made in USA. Yep Unboxed a new Burris spotting scope today. Has a made in China sticker on it. Sort of let the air out of my balloon.

wistlepig1
12-24-2013, 12:42 AM
thats ok, i just wondered if it added a lot of weight to the gun. no need to weigh it. the more i look at the pepper stock the more i like it lol

I smell a sell Kyle and there is pepper in it!:)

Moonie
12-27-2013, 01:45 AM

Here is the Boyd stock I put on mine last week.

I ordered this exact stock for my Edge (same as the Axis) this past weekend.

wistlepig1
12-27-2013, 02:01 AM
Moonie , think you will like it. I did have to put a very thin shim under the rear bolt so that the safety work smoothly. About a 2 min. job.

NVScouter
01-10-2014, 11:38 AM
Well I finally shot the one I bought...what a piece of garbage. The fit is as expected on a $300 rifle but it only shot about 2MOA with 55g SP and 1.5 with 65g gamekings. I'm sure it would do better but that trigger is the worst I've felt on a factory rifle in years. 10 miles of creep then a stiff spot and it lets off. I didnt weigh it but it has to be an 11lb trigger. Great way to ruin a new hunter/shooter by giving them one of these things.

Top that off the action is long and the .223 short so if I walked with it or cycled the bolt fast the second round down in the mag would come forward an the soft lead tip would mash. That caused two failure to fires, and one more when the magazine wouldnt seat perfectly.

The Boyds stocks should fix a few of these issues and a trigger job is essential. By the time you get this running you could have bought a good rifle. I'm going to sell it and buy another Ruger American in .22 or the Compact .308

Bulldogger
01-10-2014, 01:22 PM
NV Scouter, I think you hit it on the head there. Sometimes the Axis is good and all is well, other times you get an end-of-run near-lemon and at any rate, putting accessories on these is very quickly like putting lipstick on a pig. I too wish I'd bought a Rem 700 or Sacage 110. Cost more, but you get what you pay for.
Bulldogger