PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about "End of the line for the lead bullet?" article from FoxNews?

hardwood34
12-21-2013, 12:07 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/18/end-line-for-lead-bullet-regulations-bans-force-switch-to-green-ammo/
Scary to me, guys! Another step on the neck of freedom!?

Love Life
12-21-2013, 12:12 AM
Run for the hills!!!

starmac
12-21-2013, 12:12 AM
I think it is coming, I don't have a clue when, but it is in the works.

MaryB
12-21-2013, 12:36 AM
Gee what about all that lead ore in the ground already? Idiots. The lead in bullets is non-toxic, lead oxides are what cause illness.

waksupi
12-21-2013, 12:36 AM
Did you hear about that smelter shutting down? I think it's in Missouri. Called Buck Run, I think. That's a lot of thinking all at one time.

btroj
12-21-2013, 12:39 AM
Oh no, Ric blew another brain cell.

This is the zombie of news items.......

Moondawg
12-21-2013, 11:10 AM
It is the end of the line for lead in our military ammo. Thanks to The Won, our military is converting to Green Small Arms ammo. It costs twice as much, and is not as accurate or effective. We have to import part of the components from Red China, but it is green and designed to save the planet, so it must be good.

oldred
12-21-2013, 12:38 PM
Did you hear about that smelter shutting down? I think it's in Missouri. Called Buck Run, I think. That's a lot of thinking all at one time.

Really??? They're shutting down a smelter somewhere? Whuda thought that?

freebullet
12-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Run doe run!!!

HNSB
12-21-2013, 12:44 PM
Propaganda piece...

fryboy
12-21-2013, 12:49 PM
propaganda AND misinformation piece ....
i looked a bit and didnt find a thread about it so i posted one in the political section , while the story does pay lip service to the shuttering of doe run the story on fox is much much more than merely about that , it clearly shows intentions,agenda and downright lies ...coming from fox i was semi surprised but it assured me that their news is no longer trustworthy nor fair and balanced ...leaving me to ask - " how was it for you ?"

km101
12-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Is it a plot by the Liberals to destroy our way of life?????? Nah, Liberals wouldn't do that.

snuffy
12-21-2013, 01:34 PM
Uh-huh, so when the conversion is all done, some pointy head will suddenly say---schazam, copper is toxic too! There's no end to it, the greenies will take over the world.

mold maker
12-21-2013, 01:45 PM
I thought being toxic, was the whole point of a bullet. Other wise they would be made of feathers to tickel yout targer to death.

Bad Water Bill
12-21-2013, 02:59 PM
Uh-huh, so when the conversion is all done, some pointy head will suddenly say---schazam, copper is toxic too! There's no end to it, the greenies will take over the world.

They will be the first to go EXTINCT.

They want ALL coal fired,nuclear,hydro,and gas fired generating plants shut down.

Now how will they stay nice and comfie warm,watch Oprah,play their puter games or go shopping for each and every meal?

No lead means NO batteries for their expensive electric green cars.

No electricity (due to all of the generating plant closures) means no food storage as well as no heat in their homes.

Guess who is going to be left behind to clean up the mess of their rotting carcasses and all of the other problems they left behind?

Also no one to respond to their frantic 911 calls when BUBBA kicks in THEIR door.

Us Cast Boolit folks know how to handle things.

DLCTEX
12-21-2013, 03:10 PM
The lead ore can be shipped to China and smelted there, then reshipped to us. The higher cost will make lead prohibitive. More American jobs shipped overseas or just lost.

FredBuddy
12-21-2013, 03:56 PM
So my plan is to keep stockpiling, then teach a kid what little I know so he or she can carry on....

TXGunNut
12-21-2013, 04:11 PM
Hate it when a few feel-gooders pretend to be scientists and convince all the low-info folks they know what they're talking about. Also troubling when the folks at FOX fall for this nonsense. We're in serious trouble on lots of fronts with today's EPA.

dilly
12-21-2013, 05:15 PM
Hate it when a few feel-gooders pretend to be scientists and convince all the low-info folks they know what they're talking about.

You just described the majority of the green movement. Then the low info people join the politicians and the socialized schools, and the schools teach the low info nonsense, and you are then labeled ignorant and "against science" for not buying it.

DeanWinchester
12-21-2013, 05:45 PM
I don't think about it at all. There's more lead around here than I will shoot in this lifetime. I'll never be able to cast all the lead I have. .....so no, I don't think about it or care.

geargnasher
12-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Article 21. Are y'all catching on yet? Disguising the power grab through the "Environmental" angle is the only way this country would fall for it, and it has.

Do any of you think that Al Gore's global warming was ever about the environment?

The legislation that lead to the closure of Doe Run has driven countless other manufacturers out of this country. Look at formaldehyde emission legislation and the effect it has had on panel manufacturing in the US, just as one small example. If you weren't in the cabinet-making business in 2007 you likely wouldn't have noticed that. The emissions allowed before the last round of tenfold reduction requirements was no more of a hazard than hunting with lead in Socal, but that wasn't good enough to destroy the multi-billion-dollar US panel industry and drive it to China. So another round of legislation, bringing the emissions level to a point that experts were certain would kill the industry, was passed. People will always fall for the environmental card. I do not support the destruction of our environment, desecration of natural resources, poisoning of our rivers and oceans, or anything of that sort, but at the same time there is a reasonable balance between production, civilization, and our natural world.

You want to ban something that is REALLY tearing up the environment, to the point of creating permanent dead zones in the pacific ocean?

BAN PLASTIC.

Gear

jcwit
12-21-2013, 09:22 PM
What do I think? Not in my lifetime.

TXGunNut
12-21-2013, 09:34 PM
Scary thing about the EPA is that many of their regulations never pass thru Congress but have the effect of law anyway.

Bad Water Bill
12-21-2013, 09:38 PM
Neither do THE EMPERORS decrees.:twisted:

starmac
12-22-2013, 01:26 AM
People have been saying not in my lifetime for years, like that is suppose to have some meaning. I have done enough and had enough fun for several lifetimes, but my son would be in prison if he tried to have half as much fun, my grandson doesn't even stand a chance at getting a start on it, because people keep saying it won't affect me.

Frosty Boolit
12-22-2013, 07:27 AM
If people stand against this backdoor atack on gun rights together the way we have stood against blatant attempts to trample the right to bear arms, than yes you are right, not in my lifetime....

Lead Fred
12-22-2013, 07:50 AM
lead can be found in 36 states occurring naturally. I live and one of them. I will never be out. I know where the mines were.
meanwhile I struck a deal with my local scrape man. I buy all his lead for 21-25 cents a pound, he dont have to deal with the sate and getting rid of it.

A line from a song in the 70s

"We sat and waved, sitting on that sack of seeds"

A pause for the COZ
12-22-2013, 07:56 AM
I know... its funny how they find some thing a problem for the environment here and ban it. But its A ok to let China or India do it?
I think the way we dismantle a ship with asbestos inside is much better for the Environment than the way India does it.
A bunch of Hippocrates if you ask me.

trochilids
12-22-2013, 04:05 PM
lead can be found in 36 states occurring naturally. I live and one of them. I will never be out. I know where the mines were.

Or to paraphrase: "Lead can be found in 50 states occurring naturally... I know where the berms are."

snuffy
12-22-2013, 04:41 PM
[QUOTE=Lead Fred;2535714]lead can be found in 36 states occurring naturally. I live and one of them. I will never be out. I know where the mines were.
meanwhile I struck a deal with my local scrape man. I buy all his lead for 21-25 cents a pound, he dont have to deal with the sate and getting rid of it.

A line from a song in the 70s

"We sat and waved, sitting on that sack of seeds"[/UOTE]

[QUOTE=trochilids;2536341]Or to paraphrase: "Lead can be found in 50 states occurring naturally... I know where the berms are."[/QUTE]

Fred, you can't just heat up some lead bearing rock, then get metallic lead. The ore contains lead of course, but it's in such minute amounts that simply heating it will not net any appreciable quantity of lead.

If it were that easy, there would be a lot more smelters out there.

Trochilids, do you think those shooting ranges are a secret, that the "authorities" don't know about them? How long would it take before they would be "cleaned up" at our expense¿?

I can easily say,"not in my lifetime" because I may only have another 10 years to live. The oncologist refuses to give an estimate. But my son just turned 30, so I'm real worried any of the casting stuff I will leave to him will be useful in 20-30 years or so.

Bad Water Bill
12-22-2013, 06:07 PM
I seriously doubt that many of the OLD ranges will ever be mined.

Lots of the original owners died off years ago.

City folks bought land just because they could. They had/have no idea what any part of their property was used for before they put up the "NO TRESPASSING" signs.

Do not ask how this OLD man knows.

snuffy
12-22-2013, 06:08 PM
We should have a thread teaching/learning about extracting lead from the different kinds of ore, how to ID PB bearing ore, historic geographic locations of PB, lead, galena and all it's names/forms.

Bill, I saw a documentary about the lead mining and smelting operation. They blast the galena down in the mine, transport it to the surface where it is pulverized. Then the lead is separated from the rock by froth flotation. ;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Froth_flotation

oldred
12-22-2013, 08:10 PM
There is a small creek in Bell county KY that has a soft rock shelf just under the surface of the water with a thin seam of lead pure enough to scrape off with a knife and use for fishing sinkers, I did it when I was a kid.

Bob in Revelstoke
12-22-2013, 11:32 PM
So, if they ban lead bullets, what are they going to make .22 bullets from? Copper? You think ammo is expensive now just wait.

Copper is toxic in other than trace amounts.

starmac
12-22-2013, 11:56 PM
California, banned lead for hunting, and so far it has stuck, if you look at all the other things that started in Cali, it will eventually be federal.
Does anyone really think that eventually it will be banned (probably starting in Cali for target practice, then eventually from just owning a lead bullet.
The ones against us work in small increments, with no scientific proof, I would bet they are working on reasons to ban copper bullets for when the time is right.

Bad Water Bill
12-23-2013, 12:11 AM
Ever since they banned lead shot for water fowl I have been asking myself the same question time and again.

When the first settlers arrived here they brought their "FOWLING PIECES" with them. With over 500 years of shooting along the east coast how can there be even one bird alive if lead shot is so toxic?

FISH4BUGS
12-23-2013, 08:39 AM
.....it makes me glad I have 2000 lbs of LEAD wheel weights in the basement.

quilbilly
12-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Now that the ATF has redefined certain common rifle calibers as "armor-piercing" handgun projectiles if they are lead free, they ban all ammunition wherever lead bullets are banned.